Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand
Default The need for More spells.

So, a few years back after I started my first clan, we had a major war with a small alliance of clans that was consistent of mages. During this attack I noticed that the arena was covered with fireballs and blizzards. After the battle was over I took a few days and asked the mages what spells they used during the battle. Besides resist spells and healing spells the only other type of spell used were fireball and blizzard. I asked many of the mages why they didn't use other spells such as firespray or even dragon breath, and the response was generally the same. "The damage of those spells can't compare with five fireballs, and then why bother wasting a lot of reagents to fight." Should a Lore 4 spell really be that good?

Shouldn't a Lore 13 spell be more powerful than a lore 4? It requires a reagent because it is suppose to be that much more powerful. But does the problem lie within the power of dragon breath? If you were to cast dragon breath on someone without resist they would perish easily, making that, and other spells more than powerful enough. The problem then doesn't lie within dragon breath being too weak, but within two very important factors that are consistent throughout wyvern.

First, low lore spells like fireball and blizzard are too powerful. Being able to cast five or six fireballs and blizzards at one time makes it too good of a spell and too effective at killing. Because the spell is so easy to aim and actually does so much damage, it is important that we can obtain high level resist, up to 90% resist to survive these spells. Because we require these high level resist, spells like firespray and dragon breath appear weak when in actuality they are quite strong. To accurately correct this we must adhere to several important steps.
A) We must either weaken the ball spells, or eliminate the ability to multi-cast.
B) If we do this there will no longer be a need to have 90% resist. I myself only have 40% cold resistance, and can actually easily survive almost any monster spells in the game. Of course 40% is too low when compared to spells like dragon breath, and so 70% resist would make a wonderful max, except in the death Element, where 80% should be the obtainable max at Lv.25.

Second, with the mages number one favorite spell weakened, it is important that mages have a variety of options to chose from for their attacks. Although fire and water have a lot of attack spells, there is still room for more high lore spells. Does it make sense that the highest effective attack spell is lore 14? We do have stonewind, a lore 17 spell that is rendered useless with the smallest amount of resist. 40% resist can beat a fully trained earth/death caster using stonewind?

When I say we need more high lore spells I do not simply imply that we need attack spells. Not every element was designed to be offensive. Yes, we do need more attack spells, but we also need more assist spells like fly, darksight, darkness, and water walk. We also require more defensive spells. Spells that allow mages to temporarily block physical attacks, as well as magic. Why should resist be the soul means of defense against magic? Why should every spell have resist to them, as opposed to other means of defense?

I strongly believe that if we take these steps, as well as add more attack/assist spells to every element, spells that support the main function of that element, then we will see more variety of mages in wyvern. We will see the fire/air mage, we will see more fire/death mages, and maybe we will even see stranger variety such as water/air? Maybe someone will manage an earth/spirit mage again, and we will have enchanters back in wyvern? Despite the strong belief of wyvern players and the wizards, I do not make suggestions in an attempt to make myself stronger. I make suggestions because I think they will benefit wyvern.

~Salkand
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

<<Post from Sulkie going on for more than 17 words--skip to end. See line after line of blah-blah-bah>>

OK, Chowderhead, d'ya mind if we get the existing bugs fixed before we introduce MORE bugs into the game? I mean, c'mon! Wouldn't it be nifty-keen if we got ARMOR CLASS fixed?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Never! AC barely effects mages, so first we need more spells!

God, Binaymin, it was like you were thinking about priorities or something.

*shakes head* Jeeze Biny. Unbelievable.

EDIT: By the way, I am having a blast with my death/mind mage, all you have to do is plan thing out and anything become easy.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Crier : 08-31-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:42 AM

By all means focus on the bugs, yes please fix all the bugs that you determine need to be fixed depending upon the priority. But don't insult my idea based upon priority.

If you agree with the idea, then place it somewhere on the list of priority, so that someday, within 5 to 10 years the idea will still be logged and available for use, and not something everyone has forgotten about.

I am ashamed of you Binyamin, I would have thought you would insult me much better than that.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I thought ignoring the content of your post was quite effective.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

you say you only have 40% cold resist, when you do have 2 omnis, and a shield of arts last time I speced you. that's 52% right there. as for changing spells. I doubt it will happen when their are more overpowered things in the game that need fixing first.... giants...
Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 AM

The last I checked I did not have 2 Omnis, in fact I do not have any Omnis, and don't give me the priority complaint, I just addressed that, so please think for yourself and move on.