Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 PM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Favorite Dungeons and Dragons Edition? (Or OGL D&D game)

What Is your favorite D&D edition? And tell me why. I have to say 3.5/Pathfinder . I may play 4e But 3.5/PF is much better than 4e in many ways. Not so say 4e is bad. But 3e/PF gives more customization, more depth, more death, and more magic. This is everything that a D&D game is made of.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I haven't played the other editions yet, but I've been playing a 3.5e campaign with a group of fellow Wyvernites for a few months now, and I absolutely love it. I must've read so many manuals on 3.5e (and some OD&D/AD&D), it's really absurd (30+ manuals, everything from MM1-5 to Serpent Kingdoms and beyond, some of it surface reading, most of it cover-to-cover ).

If our DM reads this thread, she might hate me for saying it, but I think I know more about the system than she does.

What I like about 3.5 is the amount of customization, general depth of content, the mechanics leave little to be desired, and where they do generally some homebrewing does the trick - and of course, gotta tip my hat to the Druid class and our DM letting me taking a Magebred companion. There's just something oh-too-satisfying about permanently blinding a horde of Orcs and systematically ripping their faces off (Did I just say that? Yes, yes I did). That was our first encounter, no less. I could go on and on, but this post is already semi-long already, so I'll leave it at that.

From what I've seen of 4e, it doesn't look like a bad system, but I don't think I'd care for it much. Especially since the 4e Strategy Guide reads like a friggin' video game manual. >.<

Quote:
But 3e/PF gives more customization, more depth, more death, and more magic. This is everything that a D&D game is made of.
I couldn't agree more with you there. ^^

3.5e is definitely my favourite so far. Look forward to playing some OD&D though if I ever get the chance.

</Sleep-deprived, over-enthusiastic rambling post>

Last edited by Kama : 12-09-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 PM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If you really want to try OD&D try this retro clone: http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/

Its of course made from OGL. But I actually just tried my first Pathfinder game today. And found it great. It was way better than 4e.