Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default Live Streaming Speedrun Charity Marathon!

[[Reposted: Original Author {Z9}Nonsense, Reposted by {C9}Knite]]

I have followed a community of video game speed runners for many years. Most of which are centered around this website. speeddemosarchive.com where you can find 100s of recorded videos of video games beaten quickly and skillfully with many creative tricks performed.

I know there are many videos out on the internet of people 'speedrunning' games ( like Super Mario Bros. ) But alot of these videos might have been done with the use of emulators and slowed down and rerecorded and played back at regular speed to look as if it was played perfectly. These are more commonly referred to as 'TAS' or Tool - Assisted - Speedruns. This is different than the speedrunners at the website I mentioned. At SDA they require that all games are played on the original console hardware without using any programs for assistance, along with being verified to make sure there was no cheating or breaking these rules.

All that being said... in the past these guys have hosted Live Streaming marathons of many popular games being beaten while raising money for charities. They take donations while playing the games to let viewers decide which characters they choose or which path or category to beat the games. Also doing raffles for prizes for anyone who donated during the marathon. ( Last year I actually won one of the prizes ) This year the grand prize is a brand new Nintendo 3-DS with Zelda Ocarina of Time 3-D!

At that last marathon they set a goal of about 15,000$ for 4 day straight marathon, but they were so successful and got so many people to donate they actually exceeded their goal by almsot 300% . They raised over 52 THOUSAND dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. My father is a cancer survivor so it really meant alot to me that these guys raised money for this charity.

Needless to say, these guys ( and a few girls too ) are my heros. Not only are they making money by playing video games ( who wouldnt want to? ) but instead of just pocketing cash from playing tournaments or something, instead they are raising money and giving 100 % of it charity.

So now that ive explained all that....Just letting you know they are doing a smaller mini marathon today and Friday and Saturday. You can tune in and watch the games and if you are feeling generous donate some money. Or if you just want to watch thats fine too. Their homepage where it will be streaming is here. speeddemosarchive.com and if you would like to see the schedule and list of games to see which if any you are interested in watching you can find that here speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/

Sorry for the lengthy post...and I wouldnt normally advertise something like this if It wasnt about raising money for a good cause. If anyone has any other questions about this I would be happy to answer them.

All I ask if that you at least check out the marathon for a little bit , and if you like what you see let your friends know about it as well.