Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand
Default Your "To read" pile

Edit: Ooops, I meant to put this into off topic, Not misc. -_- if a wizard wouldn't mind (smiles innocently).

Edit #2 Thank you very much, to whichever wizard moved this for me.

Rules:
  1. You have to currently own the book to list it in your pile (No, I will eventually buy it category, as I would be here typing this out for a long time). Also, if you own it, but don't know it's location, it doesn't count.
  2. You must have never read it before (No re-reads).
  3. It has to be a full length book. No Poetry or short stories. It should go without saying, newspapers and magazines are also out.
  4. It has to be a book that you have chosen to read of your own free will. No school books that you have to read (even if you sort of want to read it).
  5. No training manuals or study books (Meaning no books on different work outs or different diets, or on different baseball players and their "profile"
  6. You must list the author of the book, as well as the name.
  7. The book you are reading right this second doesn't count, as you removed it from your "to read" pile.

My to read pile:
  • "Martial Virtues" by Charles Hackney, PHD
  • "Books of Five Rings" by Stephen F. Kaufman, Hanshi 10th Dan
  • "Hagakure The Book of the Samurai" by Yamamoto Tsunetomo (Translated by William Scott Wilson)
  • "Mind Powder, secret strategies for the Martial Artist" by kazumi Tabata
  • "Iceman" by Chuck Liddell
  • "Becoming the Natural" by Randy Couture
  • "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson

Well, the list seemed a lot bigger when I was just looking at it on my shelf, but it's dispersed with a lot of books I have already read, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by Salkand : 03-10-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Meant to go off topic.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

"Superfreakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*sighs* I only have two books lying around I haven't read. One is the complete works of William Shakespeare and the other is Dr. Halsey's diary. So one I will never read and the other is a fictional book of the scientist who started the Spartan program in Halo. If anyone has any good sci-fi or fantasy books to recommend let me know so I can go get them and make a to read pile.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If you haven't read Ender's Game Lazy, do so. The other books try too hard, but the first one is great. I remember that one from a long time ago.

Last edited by kiez : 03-11-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: The previous post was edited, so I looked like I was replying to thin air.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Harry Potter, book 6. My young son's tearing through the series, and I need to decide how far in is appropriate for him to read..I hear they get darker as Harry grows up.

"“The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis" - (it's a stats book, mostly). Next in my ongoing series of learning things I should have learned back when I wasn't in class but should have been.

"The Other Boleyn Girl" - Historical fiction (mostly) about Henry the VIII and his 'friends'
Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 AM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
And to get back on topic, does counting titles in my new kindle count?
Hmm, I would have to say yes. They are still books, and you still own them, just in digital format. So yes, Kindle books count.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

• "The Two Towers," "The Return of the King," "The Silmarillion," "Unfinished Tales," "Smith of Wootton Major," "The Tolkien Reader" - J.R.R. Tolkien. Yeah, a bit embarrassing to admit, but I never got around to reading the latter two books of the trilogy. Dunno why, since "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring" are in my top 10 favorites books, for sure. I picked the last three up at a garage sale and never got around to looking at them.
  • "With Fire and Sword" - Henryk Sienkiewicz. I actually picked this one out of a dumpster at the once-local university along with some others from the pretty nice collection of a professor that was leaving and had nothing to do with the huge number of books in his office.
  • The rest of the first "Mythadventures" series after "Little Myth Marker" (Too messy to list here) - Robert Asprin. For some reason, I just stopped once I started "Myth Inc. Link," and always wanted to finish it up. I don't actually have the last two, to be truthful.
  • "Life, the Universe, and Everything," "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish," "Mostly Harmless" - Douglas Adams. Got the collection, and, yet again, stopped short.
  • "The Grim Grotto," "The Penultimate Peril," "The End" - Lemony Snicket. It's been about seven years since I didn't read "The Grim Grotto" but I've picked up the rest for cheap over the time and feel inclined to just finish the series off eventually.
  • "The Opal Deception" - Eoin Colfer. Two bucks on sale at Barnes and Nobles. What can I say?
  • "A Game of Thrones" - George R.R. Martin. Apparently "A Song of Ice and Fire" is good. I read the first couple chapters in a bookstore, and I recall it as seeming a little fanfiction-y (I kid, I kid [?]), but I eventually got it anyhow and never really looked at it again.
  • "Devices and Desires" -K.J. Parker. If anyone has an obscenely good memory or is absurdly obsessed with me (I'm hoping that only one of these groups exists) they might recall me mentioning that it was good a few years back, but I never finished it. Still sits there on my dresser looking sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsey View Post
Harry Potter, book 6. My young son's tearing through the series, and I need to decide how far in is appropriate for him to read..I hear they get darker as Harry grows up.
It's been a while, but I can say that if the content of Four and Five are okay then I don't think there's anything terrible in Six. I haven't read the last one, though, so I can't comment there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiez View Post
If you haven't read Ender's Game Lazy, do so. The other books try too hard, but the first one is great. I remember that one from a long time ago.
Ender's Game really is an awesome book. I can't even recall why I read it in the first place, since nobody I know has, but I'm glad I did.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsey View Post
If he is younger than ten or so, I would most definitely read 6 and 7 before letting him read them. I would say 13 is the age that is fully appropriate to read Harry Potter 6 and 7 completely by yourself with no real adult involvement.

Another great series is the Hyperion series by... Dan Simmons? Certainly adult books. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone under 17, but the series is fascinating, intelligent, and outstanding as a whole.

Now, as for my unread books, I have yet to read "Anathem". I have tried, but just don't know if I will be able to do it. Seems interesting enough, but the writing is self indulgent and obnoxious.