Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Pikeman's Guild.

I'm certain that this idea has been shot down before, but searching through old threads got me nothing. Asking players why it hadn't been implemented got me something about it either being too over or underpowered, which really didn't help at all. The idea command ingame would've been the most prudent place to put this suggestion, but I wouldn't receive any feedback if I were to submit it that way. That, and I doubt it'd be as organized as a thread.

I'd like a guild specializing in polearms. Obvious bonuses would be a +1 to polearms at each guild level, totaling to 10 at the highest level. Anything beyond that is beyond my ability to figure out, but my suggestions would be:
  • +1 to Healing at guild levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, totaling to +5 at the highest level.
  • +10% bonus to HP at guild levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, meaning that at guild level 10 you'd have 50% more hitpoints.
  • -5 to all Arts.
  • -10 to all Elements.

What I'd like to see is some sort of restriction (similar to Rogues' or Monks') that prevents Pikemen from receiving guild bonuses when not wearing "heavy" body armor (platemail and such). Due to their defensive nature, I'd also suggest a slight AC boost, possibly at the expense of damage or movement/attack speed.

I know that my suggestion is full of flaws, but I'm curious as to why a Polearms guild doesn't exist. Would it be too overpowered? Would it take too much effort to code?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silico View Post
I'm certain that this idea has been shot down before, but searching through old threads got me nothing. Asking players why it hadn't been implemented got me something about it either being too over or underpowered, which really didn't help at all. The idea command ingame would've been the most prudent place to put this suggestion, but I wouldn't receive any feedback if I were to submit it that way. That, and I doubt it'd be as organized as a thread.

I'd like a guild specializing in polearms. Obvious bonuses would be a +1 to polearms at each guild level, totaling to 10 at the highest level. Anything beyond that is beyond my ability to figure out, but my suggestions would be:
  • +1 to Healing at guild levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, totaling to +5 at the highest level.
  • +10% bonus to HP at guild levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, meaning that at guild level 10 you'd have 50% more hitpoints.
  • -5 to all Arts.
  • -10 to all Elements.

What I'd like to see is some sort of restriction (similar to Rogues' or Monks') that prevents Pikemen from receiving guild bonuses when not wearing "heavy" body armor (platemail and such). Due to their defensive nature, I'd also suggest a slight AC boost, possibly at the expense of damage or movement/attack speed.

I know that my suggestion is full of flaws, but I'm curious as to why a Polearms guild doesn't exist. Would it be too overpowered? Would it take too much effort to code?
Some weapons are very strong, and hence are secondary weapon skills to be used with other primary weapon skills.

Thats why currently there are very few polearms and no guild.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 AM

I recognize that they're not meant to be primary weapons, but would it be safe to assume that an unguilded Polearms user would be an even match for a member of the Axeman's guild of the same level?

I've yet to see any successful (HoF) polearm users, which makes me question if they're as powerful as they're implied to be. Of course, I have no access to the numbers and am probably wrong in assuming they're on par with swords and axes, damage-wise. This is probably just me being bullheaded.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
I recognize that they're not meant to be primary weapons, but would it be safe to assume that an unguilded Polearms user would be an even match for a member of the Axeman's guild of the same level?

I've yet to see any successful (HoF) polearm users, which makes me question if they're as powerful as they're implied to be. Of course, I have no access to the numbers and am probably wrong in assuming they're on par with swords and axes, damage-wise. This is probably just me being bullheaded.
Try it, make a HoF polearm user. Then you will understand better rather than trying to understand something esoterically without experience. You will quickly see why there are no hofs.

As a secondary weapon, they are not easy to find or use. They are meant to be used when the players is in a bind or just as a symbol of power. That is the intent. A polearm by definition in Wyvern is not easy to use in battle and definitely not something that would be easy to use in long term battle. So if anyone ever decided to make a guild for them there would be a huge negative to strength, food, speed, reduced attack number and probably HP due to weakness and other negatives that show exhaustion in an extremely short period time.
The weapons would probably begin to damage the user as well and be extremely fragile as the "pole" would not endure much damage in battles. Poke Poke Poke just isnt doing a lot of damage and "slash" would be unbelievably slow.
It isnt a "big axe" in any way and was predominantly used as a "sceptre" type weapon.
Having been discussed at length in the past, it's not something players would bother using as it would be weak and why secondary weapons don't have guilds.
Could some wizard get a wild idea and decide to code some really negative guilds like this someday? Sure. But at the moment it's not something we are encouraging, we'd rather they work on something players would enjoy rather than some weird guild that no one would use in general except for an occasional player here and there for a joke.
Maybe someday there will be another race that is a "Giant giant" and would easily overcome these negatives, as the moment there isnt.

All weapons are in essense, at the same level, equal. Your skill and the weapon bonuses, weapon settings in the arch files decide what damage they are doing. Then you take into acct about 1000 other things of the enemy at the moment and a very large damage range, tons of dice rolls per attack, and the uselessness of damage messages and you'll begin to understand.....

There are currently , I believe, 3 polearms in the game (there maybe an artifact or some unusual ones here and there), one of them being the platinum one. So have fun!
There are no plans for any new guilds currently so you can be bullheaded and make one non-hof'd and enjoy the experience.

I hope this helped you some, its the same stuff that has been repeated for years and years.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Aye, this helps. I guess I'll keep trying to build this polearms user and see how badly I do.

Thanks for the feedback, in any case. I figured you guys had already explained this several times before, but I just couldn't find any previous posts.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Aye, this helps. I guess I'll keep trying to build this polearms user and see how badly I do.

Thanks for the feedback, in any case. I figured you guys had already explained this several times before, but I just couldn't find any previous posts.
Yeah the first 7 years of the game posts are on a now non-existent forum.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 AM

oachu has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

i am going to try this. Will keep you updated as i go along for the fun of it. With some hard work and good decisions it should be viable w/o a guild, as most things are