Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM

Yuiamu has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default How do you *sell* Wyvern

What are some of the most notable things about Wyvern. There's nothing I can say to get my friend to even look at it =( He just sees the word MUD and assumes it's the same thing as DnD,nothing else. I need to tell him what he's missing!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiamu View Post
What are some of the most notable things about Wyvern. There's nothing I can say to get my friend to even look at it =( He just sees the word MUD and assumes it's the same thing as DnD,nothing else. I need to tell him what he's missing!
D&D is fun. *Thread Necromancy*
Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Maybe it would help if we knew what he didn't like about DnD. Personally, I LOVE DnD, and part of the reason I'm attracted to Wyvern is because its so much like it. But there are some notable differences like having to rely more on quick actions and having the speed of a computer than slow progression and having to wait on the DM to think.

- Fortune Cookie
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This is a very good subject.

I dislike D&D (I lack some creativity) but I like the structure/formula of it. I've enjoyed video games, such as Wyvern and Neverwinter Nights, that are based off the D&D structure though. I tend to play games that require faster reaction speeds too.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've tried to get my roommates into Wyvern before. I showed them all the appealing aspects and my characters and whatnot. But their love of MMORPGs (WoW, Diablo, LotRO) and large-scale fantasy games (Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur) is too deep. They require the most recent games with high quality graphics and immense amounts of things to do. Their standards are such that Skyrim is the falcon and Wyvern is, in comparison, a tiny flea not worth acknowledging. It's kind of sad, really.

But hey, at least they have good taste in video games. I'd rather they be like this than be a bunch of CoD and Madden bros.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

What's wrong with Madden?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 AM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've given up trying to explain the appeal of this game to my friends. I just tell them that it's a fairly massive (exploration-wise) and addictive game with a lot of customization options, and I don't try to go into any further detail. That or I show them a screenshot, which usually makes them lose interest.

There are a few sort of barriers that people have to get past to become wyverneers, and that first one is looking past the game's face value, which is usually where most people wind up losing interest. The next is being willing/driven enough to learn about the game, since everything can be pretty overwhelming when you start out. I guess the next and last one is just getting out of those first 5 or so levels where fighting things is slow and somewhat monotonous. I'm honestly not willing to try and hold my friends' hands through the entire process.

I don't usually spread the word about Wyvern if I can help it. The playerbase was usually at an acceptable number and I'd feel bad for contributing to overpopulation/server lag. If I were going to try to "sell" Wyvern to a friend, I'd probably have to be sure they're into roguelikes/MUDs beforehand. It's usually pointless to try and get anyone else into the game.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silico View Post
and I'd feel bad for contributing to overpopulation/server lag.
I don't think that was something you had to worry about. The playerbase always corrected itself rather quickly to match the limits of the server. With a few exceptions where people briefly put up with server crashes and lag because they were excited to see the game after 15 months and heavy balance phases where the playerbase dwindled below our normal capacity, we usually averaged numbers just below the threshold where major problems would occur.

As that threshold became lower, things became rather daunting as we knew that no matter how much work we put into making the game more appealing, we'd never be able to get past that hurdle until Rhialto did something about the server. As you can see from this downtime, that is no easy task which, as an aside, is why the perfect time to work on such drastic changes was when the playerbase was limited to 20-30 players [during peek hours] as it had the least impact on things.

Certain people seemed to believe that all we needed to do was advertise the game more, but either a new player wouldn't stick around because they were unfortunate enough to experience server issues that made playing a hassle or old players would get fed up and leave to make room for them.

Anyway, one way to look at all of this is that if you did manage to get your friends hooked into the game, you'd have people you know to play with while some people you don't know at all/well would go off until the sunset or people who retire for different reasons wouldn't be replaced by unknown newcomers.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Actually I did try and sell it to a friend once... He did make a character and like the game (so he said), but he never made it above level 2 (if he even got pass 1).
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

I got to level 6 before "quitting."
Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

games are a waste of time,. and so is me replying.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
games are a waste of time,. and so is me replying.
Well, you got half of that right.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Geneimori has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I had some friends watch me play it back in the day and decided they wanted to try. Once they had characters and were involved they were super hooked.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneimori View Post
I had some friends watch me play it back in the day and decided they wanted to try. Once they had characters and were involved they were super hooked.
I agree this is the best way. I did this with both of my brothers and a couple friends long ago.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM

Mykenubie has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I got three of my friends to try Wyvern over the years.

They all quit within two hours.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM

Hoxid has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I have had a TON of friends try it out. Most of them ended up getting banned repeatedly...

So, uhh... Sorry for that?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 PM

Penny has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Penny

I could never get people to play either. But I think now when I tell them it's a game you can't play anymore, it makes them want to play it.
Maybe Wyvern is like a dead artist. (that's faking death, hopefully)

I mostly will tell them about the endless possibilities in "class" selection and the random dungeons.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've tried to sell Wyvern once to a friend, and while he was interested in it his access to internet was highly limited, so he rarely had access. If the game comes back up he hopes to play it more now that he will have more access.

I've also gotten other people unintentionally intruiged in the game whenever I happen to be talking about game balance, concepts, and other nerd stuff by using it as a comparison.

You just need to know your audience and whether or not they like the type of game Wyvern is/was.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

How do you sell Wyvern? You, host it on a server that won't go down ever. Also, it helps to have a good development team, but to get that you have to do something magical...

Have Wyvern on most mobile devices...and yeah...it can REALLY sell to people.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:06 PM

Enerath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Having a server that never went down would a server that never got updated no?
And, I don't know the opinions of others but Wyvern on mobile devices sounds unappealing. Adventuring in general sounds too difficult on iPods, phones, etc.