Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 AM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Dungeons and Dragons

So, does anyone play? What edition? How long? Lets talk about it!

As for me, I don't really play, but I've been ooing and aaing over 3.5 for the last several years and I've finally picked up some of the books.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Yes I play

Yes I play Dungeons and Dragons. I play version 3.0, and have been for about 3-4 years. When 4.0 came out I was kinda dissapointed because I had just gotten really good as a DM on 3.0, so I didn't switch over.

I love may campaign too. I'm a very creative person and have LOADS of areas and quests I have made that my players have never touched. The problem with my campaign is that I don't have many people to play with, and when we do, its not often. That largest amount of players I had over at once was 4: two friends my brother, and myself.

Other than that I think my campaign is well done
Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Cool. I must ask, why 3.0? Is it simply because you have the books, or did you just never thought of going to 3.5? 3.0 Certainly has many... oddities. Some seem a bit endearing though, so I can see why someone might stick with it regardless.

As for myself, I've only played a little (just a very little), but I've been rather impressed so far. I'm a bit interested in trying the older editions, but it is quite a bit more difficult to find those books nowadays than even the nearly-nonexistent 3.5 (at least, both are hard to find in real life), but I've not been looking terribly hard.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I play 3.5 alot. I have the 2e AD&D and 4e books as well, but haven't had a chance to play with either. Also play/have GURPS.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 AM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

4e got a bad reputation fast. But with the new essentials books like the Rules Compendium, it cleared a lot of thing up and made the rules better. But only get the Rules Compendium not any of the other books they are useless for the most part except maybe the Red Box. Just get PH1 (you can get the other 2 handbooks but they aren't needed), The Rules Compendium, The Dungeon Creators Kit thing, The Monster Manual, and the DM guides and your set for countless adventures.

Last edited by felorn : 07-17-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by felorn View Post
4e got a bad reputation fast. But with the new essentials books like the Rules Compendium, it cleared a lot of thing up and made the rules better. But only get the Rules Compendium not any of the other books they are useless for the most part except maybe the Red Box. Just get PH1 (you can get the other 2 handbooks but they aren't needed), The Rules Compendium, The Dungeon Creators Kit thing, The Monster Manual, and the DM guides and your set for countless adventures.
4e isn't bad. It just has more of a feel of most MMORPGs than a table top game. Not bad, just different.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
4e isn't bad. It just has more of a feel of most MMORPGs than a table top game. Not bad, just different.
I don't understand the whole mmorpg feel thing people try and say. I personally think its better than a mmorpg, maybe people say that because its strongly oriented towards combat and skills but DnD has always been that way. Its never just a peaceful stroll through a city.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I don't understand the whole mmorpg feel thing people try and say. I personally think its better than a mmorpg, maybe people say that because its strongly oriented towards combat and skills but DnD has always been that way. Its never just a peaceful stroll through a city.
Shadowrun, on the other hand, is *always* a peaceful stroll through the city.

Mmk, so.. on a sidenote, If I was to get started in DnD, which version would you guys recommend?

Provided I can find my good ol' platonic solids, I'm thinking about stopping by a game shop when I get the chance. I've played other tabletops, but never DnD. And everyone I've talked to seems to recommend 3.5..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post

Mmk, so.. on a sidenote, If I was to get started in DnD, which version would you guys recommend?

Provided I can find my good ol' platonic solids, I'm thinking about stopping by a game shop when I get the chance. I've played other tabletops, but never DnD. And everyone I've talked to seems to recommend 3.5..
Kama, most people will say 3rd or 3.5 but don't listen. I get it it has a special place in their heart ( considering lots of people started on them)and people always defend their first. But they are very outdated and have no real support except some 3rd party online forums and stuff. Not to mention how many house rules you have to learn , 3.5 was really messed up. But besides that just trust me 4th edition is the way to go. It can be pricey depending on how and where you buy like I bought PHB1&2 for the price of one brand new book, try to find the holiday bundles they are good ideas. Or even go for the Essentials line which is a fairly cheap way to get started.

Still not convinced? Go here

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGg6_-RTckM
and
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI3Q...eature=related

I almost forgot part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOoS...413&feature=iv

Last edited by felorn : 07-25-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Kama, most people will say 3rd or 3.5 but don't listen. I get it it has a special place in their heart ( considering lots of people started on them)and people always defend their first. But they are very outdated and have no real support except some 3rd party online forums and stuff. Not to mention how many house rules you have to learn , 3.5 was really messed up. But besides that just trust me 4th edition is the way to go. It can be pricey depending on how and where you buy like I bought PHB1&2 for the price of one brand new book, try to find the holiday bundles they are good ideas. Or even go for the Essentials line which is a fairly cheap way to get started.

Still not convinced? Go here

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGg6_-RTckM
and
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI3Q...eature=related

I almost forgot part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOoS...413&feature=iv
Eh, that kinda makes me want to try 3.5, actually. I really don't mind learning house rules, in fact, I rather enjoy it. As for it being outdated.. why should that matter?

I suppose I'll have to wait and see. When I get a chance, I'll give both editions an in-depth look, and make my decision then. Chances are though that I'll end up playing both, one way or another.

In the meantime.. *Eyes her Shadowrun stuffs*

Last edited by Kama : 07-26-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Player Mod

binsenkind has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

hey chummer
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post

While I can't say anything about the earlier editions, I'd most certainly choose 3.5 over 4e, especially if you aren't looking for something completely combat centric. I haven't played 4e, but after looking into it, I found it too gamey. Plus, you can play or get an overview of the system essentially for free (unscrupulousness aside) out of the SRD. If you wanted to play 3.5 online, I might be interested in getting into the action, as well.

As a bit of an update, I have managed to pick up a 2nd Edition Players Handbook and a friend of mine is going to be sending me a few supplements that they found at a thrift store. Looks interesting so far.