Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 AM

Thynar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Unhappy Thunderbolt

The wyvern website says "Storm giants can cast a lightning bolt spell that increases its damage with the giant's level. Type cast thunderbolt to cast the spell." (in this section). Well, I haven't been noticing any difference due to main character level on my thunderbolt: at level 9 with 5 Air, I still need many casts to kill even very weak monsters. So the question is: is this really implemented? And if no, why not?

When choosing a race for my character I decided the storm giant archetype sounded nice: potentially good fighter with an inclination to air magic, backed by a special bonus in a single spell. But I really haven't been noticing that bonus at all...

Or is the special bonus for lightning bolt rather than thunderbolt? I haven't learned that one yet (and it's be much less useful: I thought the idea was allowing the storm giant to be capable of casting one efficient damage spell in combat despite his low spell points).

Also They are naturally skilled at casting air and shock spells. Does this at least really work in general? Is it equivalent to a +1Air or something like that? Does it change with level?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:37 AM

Torock has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I do not know if thunderbolt is increased in power by air magic, but it isn't surprising that you have to cast it a lot to kill something. The spell only strikes the target once, like blood dart or like an arrow being shot. Most other evocations will hit the monsters multiple times per cast. You still hit them a lot, you just do it faster and with less spell casts.

The natural bonus to air magic should show if you type "skills". Your air magic should say something like: X Air Magic (Y from training, Z from natural ability)

The natural ability represents bonuses given by race and guild affiliation.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

On my storm giant I haven't noticed any air magic bonus whatsoever. Basically they just have four hurled, 70% resistance to shock and an very weak dart spell.

Oh, and one lore. :/

Last edited by Hamel : 10-12-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Location: Somewhere where internet connection will not support wyvern
Mustard has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I thought all giants had 75% resist to their respective elements
Old 10-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the replies.

There definitely is no 'natural bonus' for Air showing up in the skills list, although it would be more consistent with the website's description of the storm giant than the lore and hurled points. I don't know much about game mechanics and balance yet, but I'd have imagined 'hurled' more for a stone giant (hurling stones) and an actual real Air bonus for storm giants (as per the description). Maybe it's the website's description that needs to be changed, in fact, as it is misleading the way it's written now (at least for a new player like me - I was really expecting this thunderbolt spell to become something special as levels went up).

Edit: Oh, and can someone tell me if lightning bolt is really worth the cost in lore/gold/spell points as opposed to thunderbolt, being a storm giant?

Last edited by Thynar : 10-13-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

75%? Eh, I dunno.

Just so you know Thynar, hurled is broken. And lightning bolt vs thunder bolt? Totally worth it. =)
Old 10-14-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post
Just so you know Thynar, hurled is broken. And lightning bolt vs thunder bolt? Totally worth it. =)
Ok, thanks. I'm going to buy it when I have the cash, then (and some more spell points)