Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 AM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand
Default Paladins

Simple suggestion:

Get rid of all the dumb bonuses Paladins get and give them devine spells instead. (Spells that MIGHT include healing, etc.). Allow them to keep +5 in swords.

I am not going to suggest any spells, any method or balancing use for them, let the wizards decide.

Right now Paladin's are more like Knights, lets turn them into real paladins.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 AM

Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I am not quite sure whether I follow what you are talking about or where you're going with all this...

So um... yeah,
Learn how you can help: adopt a gorilla today!

http://www.gorillafund.org/support/adopt.php
Old 02-18-2008, 03:23 AM

Instead of giving Paladins a huge sword bonuse or strength bonus. Give them Devine spells per guild level.

Similar to the death knight guild I suggested a few years back, if anyone wants to find it. Pfft. (Except i'm just giving a general idea here).
Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Shaieran has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I see what Salkand's getting at. In a role-play sense, Knights are protectors and warriors serving underneath a noble. They're heavily trained in weapons and combat, as they are going to be fighting quite often. No magical skills at all, however. Paladins are like "honorable knights", almost. In games and fantasy, they typically represent a warrior linked with a deity of some sort. Salkand is proposing that rather than giving Paladins these health and strength bonuses, which are geared towards heavy bashing and fighting, to rather get rid of those bonuses and replace them with paladin-exclusive Divine Spells.

Personally, I agree. It fits the picture of a paladin more closely when they can communicate with a deity and channel power through divine spells. Makes sense to me.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Divine spells would be like prayer in Crossfire, except only paladins can use them. That's actually a neat idea, although you may not want to use the term prayer, for fear of copying crossfire even more. Not to mention that would involve adding things like prayer points, and blah blah...

Case and point, paladins do need a little push. There used to be 9 online at most times, and now there's maybe 2. The life bonus they get is all but useless without the minor/medium/major healing spells, unless the full heal spell is fixed to have extra/fewer effects based on your life (more life would give an after regen effect, negative life wouldn't full heal you entirely. This could balance full healing cavies).
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Duender has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I like the idea.
Or perhaps the negatives in the magical arts and elements could be removed, to provide more versatility? They could perhaps use this to summon things to aid them, without the huge spellpoints negation, perhaps it would put a use to their life magic, although summoning in itself isn't incredibly amazing. (atleast not from what I hear).
Just throwing things out of a hat here D:

Last edited by Duender : 02-19-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM

No one mentioned eliminating negatives in their guild. If anyone did that was not a sub-article of my idea.
Please keep to the main focuse, please.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

:/ Why do people always point at Frost Giant Axemen and say overpowered? We never were before the spam healing nerf....

Well...Not a lot of us were at least...

(Buying Melee Resist rings*cough*)
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Okie, this has nothing to do with giants. I have killed many frost giant axeman. This post isn't about any particular race or guild being over powered. The last few post have nothing to do with anything, thanks for that
Axewielder.
One idea, good or bad, GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand
Simple suggestion:

Get rid of all the dumb bonuses Paladins get and give them devine spells instead. (Spells that MIGHT include healing, etc.). Allow them to keep +5 in swords.

I am not going to suggest any spells, any method or balancing use for them, let the wizards decide.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM

Duender has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
Okie, this has nothing to do with giants. I have killed many frost giant axeman. This post isn't about any particular race or guild being over powered. The last few post have nothing to do with anything, thanks for that
Axewielder.
One idea, good or bad, GO!
I simply threw in my ideas, is that not the point of this forum? Or must everything be limited strictly to your idea?
I'm not sure though, a unique magic system(or "Devine" spells, not sure if you meant Divine) for Paladin's seems a tad bit off, unless you could expand on this with some ideas for spells(I know you said you wouldn't, but the suggestion seems incomplete without that). You seemed a little vague with the initial idea, and all I did was propose some of my own. D:
Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 PM

You were good, duender, I encourage your ideas as well as the feedback you posted. Axewielder is the one I'm mad at. He just wants to point out why he thinks your idea was stupid, which has now lead us on this tirade of frost giants.

Anyway, I left the idea vague just for the reason of letting the wizards take it away. As opposed to limiting the idea to a certain blocked in area.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm not sure if trying to balance guilds one at a time would be successful. I think that in order to make all guilds virtually equal, they would all need to be assessed together, and I think there would have to be a decision made on how much extra power a player should recieve at each guild level.

After that has been done, then what kinds of skills will be given to attain this balance of power should come under discussion. Personally I think all the guilds should be balanced by making different races equal based on guild level. For example, halfing and pixie mages should be a casting equivalent of dwarf and frost giant axemen, stone giant and rak cavemen, elven archers, etc. That way, if you join a guild that a character is essentially designed for, there will be a basic gain in ability per guild level. If you join a guild that your character is not suited for, then you might not be as well suited with the bonuses, but that would be the challenge of say, a pixie caveman, or a giant mage.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM

This is not about balancing guilds, this has nothing to do with balancing guild, That is a seperate issue.
Please, go back to the original idea. I even quotes myself for you.
*rolls eyes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand
Simple suggestion:

Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Your original idea wasn't really much of an idea, it was kinda just a thought thrown out there about the pally guild, so more people are discussing their thought about guild as well and you are getting angry. how about you stop worrying so much about your first post (which was discussed and finished in three additional posts) and instead debate what other people are saying not just saying "Whaa! Whaaa! This is my thread! Discuss MY post!"
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Any change to a guild will be for balance. If you want a guild to simply be more fun, then youre just going to have to wait for beta to draw nearer to it's end.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Salkand's idea is to balance the pally guild with the others, because he currently feels that it is now underpowered. I think that's what Salkand is trying to emphasize, and how his idea would effect that balance. I think the wizards/Rhialto wouldn't do it because it would require a lot of coding (I think) but it is a good idea. Then again, mages will complain like crazy if the pally's guild gets exclusive spells over them.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM

The reason I am getting angry is not at the suggestion of new ideas, but at the suggestions of completely seperate issues. Balancing the guilds is a part of all ideas, but in and off itself not a key focuse for this idea. Several of the previous ideas mentioned should be in a seperate thread for their own discussion. They should not be a part of this thread, and taking over this discussion.

There is a very specific reason I did not go into more detail on the idea. In terms of what is balanced and what is a good "Devine" spell is not an issue we as players can decide. That's something for the wizards to figure out. I kept it general for many reasons, one was for a debate on the principal of the idea. As mentioned previously, most mages would not be happy with this idea.

I am also aware that this is not what you expect from a Salkand Idea, which usually get very specific and most of the time has enough room to discuss certain issues like balancing or other races being over-powered. Please keep in mind that this idea is very broad, but limited in terms of discussions. I'll eventually post a more specific idea where you can freely head off topic and talk about side issues, but this is not one of them.

*sigh*