Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Shuya has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Magic and Spam Healing

Alright, long paragraph coming up, I'll summarize my ideas here, and if you don't understand the reasoning behind something, read my next post.

*All numbers posted are references*

_____________________________________________ _______________

BUNGLING - Give weapons innate bungling abilities

Clubs - 80% (For every 10 spells you cast, you will bungle 8 of them)
Naga Shifted Forms - 75%
Axes - 75%
Swords - 70%
Daggers - 70%
Bows - 70%
Magic Whip - 70%
Polearm -70% (perhaps lower this)
Claws - 60%
Staff - 0%
Whips (except Magic Whip) - 0% (Unsure about this one)
(May be missing some weapons, but you get the point)

GUILDS - The bonuses

Archers Guild - +2 Dodge and +2 Ranged per level, so at level 10 in the guild, you get +20 dodge and +20 ranged.

Axemans Guild - +1.5% Melee Resist and 1.5% Elemental Resist, so at level 10 in the guild, you get +15% melee resist and +15% fire, water, earth, air, death, etc resist

Cavemans Guild - +3% Melee Resist per level, so at level 10 in the guild, you get +30% melee resist

Mages Guild - +1 Spirit and Life Magic at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, so at level 10 in the guild, you get 5 spirit and 5 life

Monks Guild - 50% chance to ignore all of your enemy's resistances (the stuff that comes up when you use potion of enlightenment)

Paladins Guild - Special Command "Call on God", this heals you for the same amount of sp you have (if you have 80sp, it heals you for 80 hp), does not consume sp to use. Cool Down time of ~5 seconds

Rogues Guild - Movement Speed Bonus, as well as a chance to confuse the enemy when you attack (I'm not exactly sure what to do with this one)

Rangers Guild - Remove the negatives on elements and arts.
_____________________________________________ _______________
Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM

phew, ok. As you may have noticed, most of the builds in wyvern are built around the spells "minor healing", "medium healing", "major healing", and "heal". Unless you have one of these builds yourself, it's almost impossible to compete with the people that use what is dubbed as "spam healing". Currently, the only (emphasis on ONLY) way to go is, get as much dodge as you possibly can, abuse that cast minor healing; cast minor healing; cast minor healing/cast heal alias, and hope that you don't get lagged. In my opinion, this is hardly the way that Rhialto wanted people to play the game. Therefore, I have (hopefully) come up with a way to fix this. My ideas are focused on the ability to "bungle" your spells and the innate bonuses that guilds come with.

Bungling - Armors only?

Now, when I think about casting magic, I think about a mage who waves his staff around, says a few funny words, and WOOSH a gout of fire comes erupting out of his staff and burns everything to ashes. What I'm not picturing, is a stone giant in the caveman's guild waving his club around like an idiot and yelling UGA BOOGA GAG A UGHH, promptly getting healed to full while using little to no mp to achieve it. Therefore, I suggest that we give weapons bungling abilities. Sure it is still possible to abuse an alias of "unwield diamond sword; cast minor healing; cast minor healing; cast minor healing; wield diamond sword", but that has obvious drawbacks.

Give most of the weapons very high bungling chances, so that realistically, you would need a staff or a whip (for conjurers) to be able to channel strong magical energy. The percentages are just references.

Guilds - Exploitation of Spam Healing

It seems that for most guilds, the way to go (if you have moderately high hp) is spam healing. People get ridiculous amounts of incantation (17 - 19+) to offset the negatives, because being able spam heal is so strong. With the bungling, hopefully people will be turned off to the idea of spam healing. Unfortunately, people have been so focused on spam healing that the original intentions of the guilds have been lost. I want to try to reimplement the uniqueness of the different guilds by giving more dramatic bonuses.

Archers - This guild strikes me as being very agile, wielding a long bow in one hand, arrows at the ready in another hand, and hides around in forests, ready to strike anyone who approaches them with deadly arrows. Therefore, I think that it would be appropriate to give them a higher dodge (agile) and power (ranged) bonus.

Axemans - This guild is a very heavily armored guild. The slow moving tanks move around with chainmails, helmets, huge twohanded axes, iron studded boots etc etc. Therefore, I think that a 15% resistance against both magic and melee is in order.

Cavemans - Well...This guild would be made up of dim minded individuals who make up for their lack of intelligence by having massive brute strength, and a tough natural skin armor built up with years of training. The bonuses to clubs, I think, is sufficient to cover the brute strength part. I think a +30% resistance against melee, with no resistances to magic (due to a lack of the ability to comprehend magic) would cover the skin armor.

Mages - This is a tough one, and I am unclear as to the plans that Rhialto has for this guild. The most important thing here is that something needs to be done about the 90% resists that are way to easy to obtain. I have included a +5 bonus to spirit and life, to help out on mana shield and healing respectively.

Monks - Monks, in Wyvern, seem to be individuals with very powerful brains, who abuse this power to fear, confuse, and paralyze their opponents. Therefore, I think a high bonus to mind would work, any bonuses to strength would overpower nagas. Therefore, a bonus to mind, and the ability to ignore your enemy's resistance to mind magic (is this possible?) would probably make this one of the most annoying guilds to be facing.

Paladins - hm...This guild, in the beginning, was deemed to be a very weak guild, until someone started abusing spam healing. I think that the intention of this guild is, holy warriors who call upon god to give them strength. So, why not make a command "call on god". This command would heal you for the amount of sp you have (to a human, halfling, or definitely elf, this means almost full healing). The delay on this ability would probably have to be tweaked, to make sure it's not overpowered.

Rogues - I'm not too sure what to do with the rogues and rangers guild, as I have not had much experience playing these guild. To my understanding, rogues are a poorman's pally, hitting and healing for less than a pally. I think that these guys are supposed to be sneaky thieves who hit and run. Therefore, a movement speed bonus, and the ability to inflict confusion (due to the speed and accuracy of the attack) when you attack is a possible solution.

Rangers - This is a very hard one. To my understanding, a ranger is a man who is proficient in living with nature, as well as being able to wield a bow and sword (think Aragorn from Lord of the Rings). In wyvern, rangers seem to be whip wielders, who are proficient in air and death magic. I'm not exactly sure what to do with this one, so I think removing the negatives would suffice =/

Last edited by Shuya : 01-08-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM

Curare has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Your ideas are good... and would go a long way towards balancing the game, but you can't just weaken players. While you've tried to compensate, it just isn't enough. Maybe it would work if it was less drastic, great ideas though.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I dissagree with all your ideas made in this post.

(why i disslike)
you are giving guilds too much power next to an unguilded player.
I dont think give lost of bungle % is the best solution... it not only make the game imposible for non pure melee characters or pure mage but also it doesnt fix the spam problem, and last thing... i think if you put 19! points in an art just to be able to take full benefit of a spell, then is a tactic. Those points could be trained in Strn, FW or a weapon that make you perfectly capable of win in PK.

Last edited by Unknown : 01-08-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM

alright.

Curare - If this idea is to be implemented, it will nerf most of the classes in wyvern, which is what I got from your post. But a nerf must be made to keep (or create) balance in wyvern. The problem of spam healing must be dealt with now, it is already too late. Wyverneers already accept spam healing as a tactic designed by Rhialto, when, if you think about it, there is absolutely no way that this is the way that was intended. A problem this drastic must be dealt with drastic measures.

Unknown - Give reasons, otherwise your post is just a waste of space.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Some of your logic makes no sense. For example, dwarves wouldn't be resistant to magic just becuase of their armor. If anything, that much metal would make them weak to fire and other elements. Your right though, it doesn't make sense that a giant waves his club around and cast a healing spell.

That call on god thing is a little off. Paladin's are suppose to have holy spells given to them by the deity that they serve. In theory, once you open the door of "call on god" Soon we'll have paladin's being able to cast a holy vanquishing light. Spirit and life would help a mage, yes but it makes no sense to give it to the guild.

I could say give fire and water, that would also help mages, but the fact remains that there is no reason for them to have it, Etc.

I could go on, but I think you'll get the picture.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM

hm...about the axemen, I was thinking about how axemen are masters of smithing, they would have ways to enchant their armors so that it repels both magic and melee.

Paladins. I was picturing a paladin raising his sword to the heavens, calling a few words to the "deities" above, then if not a deity, then certainly a messenger would come down and bestow him with powers (in this case, healing). Hm...maybe change the "call on god" to "faith". Your faith in god gives you magical abilities (your mp), then you use faith to recover your hp with the mp, but this also has mostly the same problem as the other one.

Mages - Yeah, I was very reluctant to touch on the mages too much, as Rhialto probably has better plans.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

generally dwarves aren't good at magic, and their enchanting is usually done by a dwarve who actually bothered with magic, or a human mage.