Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Dalamus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Playing an archer

I'm interested in creating an archer character, but I'm rather new to the game and am looking for advice. I'm not too sure on which skills to train in, but I'm thinking...

- Ranged weapons (duh)
- Dodge
- Find weakness
- Blades
- Lore
- Strength

I'm not too sure how important Lore and Strength will be, so I'm looking for input on that, and which spells would be most important for an archer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Curare has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Never train dodge... ever. Blades and strength... i wouldn't until after you hof, depending on what kind of archer you want. I have no idea if FW has any bearing on ranged damage.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Never train dodge... ever. Blades and strength... i wouldn't until after you hof, depending on what kind of archer you want. I have no idea if FW has any bearing on ranged damage.
What's wrong with training dodge? I thought it'd be one of the most vital skills for an archer. I was thinking of training blade, because you can't always have distance, and strength for hauling loot/breaking doors in RDs.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Curare has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Well i'm far from a pro archer, but training dodge is a waste of points. You should get it all from your equipment.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Well i'm far from a pro archer, but training dodge is a waste of points. You should get it all from your equipment.
What about at lower levels, where it's too expensive to get gear with bonuses?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 AM

wyvernRa has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Try to keep ranged weapons at the same level you are. Strength is fairly unimportant once you get quivers and bags of great holding (I'm a pixie archer and I've trained no strength at all and get along just fine, I can even pick up loot). I'd say that after ranged weapons your second priorities are find-weakness and life magic with 7 spirit magic for mana shield. As an archer you won't be getting hit much (once you start doing it right) so as long as you can cast mana shield you'll be fine. Find-weakness allows you to do the most damage possible, which is important for an archer who should only have to worry about doing damage, not receiving it. I haven't trained any melee skills yet, but once I get some free skill points I may, the downside of this being that I won't be able to run into shoggoths and other recoil monsters without getting a huge splash of acid recoil.

so in summary:

Ranged Weapons: up to your level
Spirit Magic: 7 as soon as possible
Life Magic: 10 (or so)
Strength: 0, not important to me
Arcane Lore: 3 (at least, for mana shield and resist petrify)
Merchant: 2 (always at least 2 for any character in my opinion)
Find-weakness: all your spare skill points go here until it is at 20

Last edited by wyvernRa : 12-29-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 AM

Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalamus View Post
What's wrong with training dodge? I thought it'd be one of the most vital skills for an archer. I was thinking of training blade, because you can't always have distance, and strength for hauling loot/breaking doors in RDs.
you have the right idea, but there are better alternatives:

- for a 'pure archer', you can wear 2 shields, giving yourself the extra agility you need to have max dodge while saving those valuable skill points for other skills such as find weakness
- yes, having a secondary weapon skill is almost essential if you want to do anything other than PK, but blade is a poor choice, though it is light, it also does stab damage like your arrows, which some monsters are all but immune to, the most notorious being the reaper. A better choice would be the sword, doing cut damage, and can be 1 handed.

hope that helps
Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Mana shield is how you will stay alive. It requires 7 spirit which is the best ratio for elves and pixes, though humans and other could use a lower amount, but the other races tend not to need or use mana shield as much. I believe it also costs 3 lore. You can reduce the amount of spirit you have if you get items that give it. Then you just make a macro to wear the stuff, cast mana shield, unwear, and wear what you had before.

Always keep range skill as high as possible. Never train dodge, as said, you will get your dodge from equipment. If you do train it, you will regret it later.

Invisibility as soon as possible is a must. While many higher level monster can still see you, it makes sure that they don't until you can see them as well. If you are careful, you can always keep them at a distance and still know where they are and shoot them, but they won't be able to see you, until they move closer.

For arrows, at low-medium levels keep well over 200+ arrows, and later maintain about 20 arrows of returning (and all your addition arrows, like elven ones). If your arrows ever get stuck under a monster that you can't kill, but also can't move, you just lost all your arrows. Arrows of returning fixes this, but never fire them into spells (especially Dragon Breath). They will break quickly if this is done.

I personally have about 7 swords, which is really for anything small that would come my way and block me (as well as finish anything off that I was attacking, if I lag)

Glimpse, and a xray item are very useful for find out what you may be facing, before it's running at you.

Find Weakness does help a lot, but only if you have a fair amount of it. This is really for later levels though.

A big note about being an archer is, you cannot do RD's. Anytime an RD starts to give out decent xp and items for a high level, you will instantly die as soon as you go down the stairs. And unlike a mage, who can fire all his ball spells and go back up(if they are lucky), you have no way to clear that room without being hit on by multiple monsters. This only leaves the option finding some places with good monsters and praying they haven't been cleared. The lower rooms for low levels are still just fine, but once you reach instant stair death, they are useless. As a result, you are going to level up much slower than a meleer(sp?) or mage.

And forget about pk against anyone level 20+. ;_;

Spell resists are also important, as spells are the only things you will consistently get hit by. A way to fly and blink/teleport are also very useful.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Last edited by Dalamus : 12-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

How much, if any, strength should an archer train?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

As much as you need.

I currently have 4. Dsm's or scrolls are heavy for resisting spells are heavy. Spells (DB) and recoil are going to be things that consistently kill you.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 AM

Mashirafen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Mashirafen

Awesome, I'll try some of this out when the server is back up. And my character isn't login bugged.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 AM

jimmydeanhasnosausage has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to jimmydeanhasnosausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvernRa View Post
Try to keep ranged weapons at the same level you are. Strength is fairly unimportant once you get quivers and bags of great holding (I'm a pixie archer and I've trained no strength at all and get along just fine, I can even pick up loot). I'd say that after ranged weapons your second priorities are find-weakness and life magic with 7 spirit magic for mana shield. As an archer you won't be getting hit much (once you start doing it right) so as long as you can cast mana shield you'll be fine. Find-weakness allows you to do the most damage possible, which is important for an archer who should only have to worry about doing damage, not receiving it. I haven't trained any melee skills yet, but once I get some free skill points I may, the downside of this being that I won't be able to run into shoggoths and other recoil monsters without getting a huge splash of acid recoil.

so in summary:

Why Life Magic? And what about spells besides mana shield?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Location: Somewhere where internet connection will not support wyvern
Mustard has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
so in summary:

I would change some life to healing and get regeneration and strength spell
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't like giving full builds, so I'll give some friendly pointers:

-If you use mana shield (recommended) then you don't need any healing trained. Simply wear/put on a greater regeneration ring and cast regeneration spell. That's 3hp every 5ish seconds, which will heal you fast enough, given your SP doesn't hit 0.
-FW affects ranged damage, strength does not.
-Have a melee weapon for backup with a different damage type than stab (arrows do stab) like swords (cut) or clubs (smash). You could also get ember/glacier/flaming/whatever elemental arrows.
-Train more lore for a more defensive build (5 for remove curse, 7 to teleport out of tricky spots, etc) at the cost of losing points in FW/other skills.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Penny has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Penny

Other than the dodge thing, you've done a pretty good job figuring things out. You don't need to train dodge because you can get armor for it, plus the archer guild will give you even more dodge, so you don't want to waste skill points training it.

Also, be sure to train five merchant so your can have enough money. And you might to learn mana shield and train spirit magic too to make it more affective, although mana shield isn't as important for archers as most people think it is (you're not supposed to let monsters touch/see you anyway).

Good luck. ^_^

Quote:
Having a melee weapon can be really helpful; I see nothing wrong with training blades. I often have small monsters (whom I don't pay much attention to) come and attack me while I'm busy shooting at a big monster, and with my melee weapon I can continue drilling arrows into the big monster while the little monster falls to its pathetic death due to my magic whip.

Quote:

so in summary:

If you just use arrows of returning then strength is not a problem, but if you use normal arrowsarrows with bonuses too it can be really heavy. I reccomend training atleast five strength so you can carry all the arrows you want. Arrows of returning never have bonuses, and when you start to get up into the higher levels you'll be wanting better arrows. I usually carry atleast 300 arrows.

P.S. don't listen to these ****s, lsiten to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcow View Post
you have the right idea, but there are better alternatives:

- for a 'pure archer', you can wear 2 shields, giving yourself the extra agility you need to have max dodge while saving those valuable skill points for other skills such as find weakness
- yes, having a secondary weapon skill is almost essential if you want to do anything other than PK, but blade is a poor choice, though it is light, it also does stab damage like your arrows, which some monsters are all but immune to, the most notorious being the reaper. A better choice would be the sword, doing cut damage, and can be 1 handed.

hope that helps
I can damage reapers with my arrows. Ember arrows can own them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeanhasnosausage View Post
Why Life Magic? And what about spells besides mana shield?
Either for resists or summoning. Many archers have cast own resists. Summoning can be helpful too, incase there's something blocking an entrance for you or something and you can't kill it in melee range.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
If you just use arrows of returning then strength is not a problem, but if you use normal arrowsarrows with bonuses too it can be really heavy. I reccomend training atleast five strength so you can carry all the arrows you want. Arrows of returning never have bonuses, and when you start to get up into the higher levels you'll be wanting better arrows. I usually carry atleast 300 arrows.

P.S. don't listen to these ****s, lsiten to me.
That's not necessary, be polite please. As for strength, simply cast the spell. That's an easy +3 strength right there, and if you want more, get x2 ring of earth magic, amulet of earth magic, and a Shield of Power. That would make it cast around...4-6 strength, I'm not sure.

There are several ways to build a successful archer, yours is not the only way Penny, so please don't put down other's suggestions unless they have some sort of factual inaccuracy. You may also give constructive criticism to their builds.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the help, everyone. It is very much appreciated. One last question before I start an archer (since I put off making one to make a paladin, hehe), which race would be best for a pure archer?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 PM

I'd probably go with halflings for the innate invisibility, 4 skill points, starting +1 ranged, and high sp. This makes them perfect for a mana shielding archer. Any elf is also a good choice, as are humans, but my preference would be with halflings.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 AM

Penny has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikha View Post
That's not necessary, be polite please. As for strength, simply cast the spell. That's an easy +3 strength right there, and if you want more, get x2 ring of earth magic, amulet of earth magic, and a Shield of Power. That would make it cast around...4-6 strength, I'm not sure.

There are several ways to build a successful archer, yours is not the only way Penny, so please don't put down other's suggestions unless they have some sort of factual inaccuracy. You may also give constructive criticism to their builds.
Dang, people on the forums are so touchy. It's not like I said anything that was actually insulting.
I thought the spell didn't work well unless you actually bothered training Earth.

P.S. All ways are my ways, lolololololololol.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, everyone. It is very much appreciated. One last question before I start an archer (since I put off making one to make a paladin, hehe), which race would be best for a pure archer?
I say high elf; they get two natural range skill points (wood elves due to but they also get a natural forestry skill instead of a natural meditation skill, which is kind of a rip off).