Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 12-19-2007, 06:26 PM

quadraxis has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via Yahoo to quadraxis
Talking Any Possible New Races?

Just a Question out of the blue =0...Im Looking forward to the possibility.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

If you mean one day, then yes there are plans for new races...sometime in the vague and distant future. If you mean when the game comes back online then no.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Why is it in every game, people always want new things, rather than old things that simple work better. Rather than trying to get new features implemented, the players should be more appreciative of what they already have, and possibly suggest ways of fixing the current problems which plague the game.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

You have people like me for that Clubbz, then you have everyone else who wants something new to play with.

But define the word fix. When I say I want the mages guild fixed it doesn't actually apply to the standard form of the word. Considering the guild isn't really broken. What I really mean when I say fixed, is that I believe the guild is unbalanced compared to the other guilds in wyvern, and wish for it to be either raised in power, or for the other guilds to lose their power, etc.

Plus, it could easily be said that the wizards will work on what NEEDS to be done, as opposed to what they desire done.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That was my fault for being unclear, what I meant by fix the current problems, is to work towards balancing the game and fix and bugs encountered. While a game that is completly balanced in every aspect would be next to impossible to create, there should be no significant problems which would lean the game towards, a certain race, guild etc. There should be natural differences in them, but they should all be countered by something else when compared to another item in the same aspects. This does not just apply to the races,guilds, monsters. Much could be built upon(meaning fiddled with to be better) in wyvern, its just that a lot of the players(mostly the newer players, not saying none of the "veterans" want new stuff) want to see new features added to the game. Many of them need to lower their sights into something a little more important, the overall experience of wyvern. Nobody is going to want to play a game where there are a ton of items, and races, and guild, etc. but half of the stuff is broken, or horrible unbalanced....it just ruins the game.

*edit* missed that last line, I have faith and believe the wizards will work on what needs to be done rather than what players rant about. But I was just trying to say players(not all) need to stop hoping for new things when there are other important matters at hand.

BTW- I'm glad someone who shares my point of view(if only a little) took the time to say something.

Last edited by Clubbz : 12-20-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 PM

But it's also just as important for new items to be placed into wyvern. Now, I personally enjoy Arilou's method of adding things. Although this may not be an accurate quote, and you should never take my word for it. But I believe he once said he could only work on things when he felt like it. This causes it so that a single area of his might take years.
My point is; Yes it's important to fix things in the game, even more important than adding new content. But it's also vitally important for new things to be added, just so long as they require little fixing.

Also, you assume that when the game comes back up it wont be fixed in a lot of areas. Now don't get your hopes up, but don't expect too little either.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Forum Admin

Yeah that's true. I'd be working on an area and after so many maps I'd get this idea for another area and I'd have to jump to another folder where the same thing would happen to no end. So I have a lot of different projects at various levels of completion.

Sometimes I push myself to ignore that urge like I did with Shrouded in Darkness, but that is something I had started a year previously. It only got done because someone was suddenly making the Rogue's guild and depending on me. Plus Legolas gave me a way of doing it without making an entirely new city as I had been doing, plus Teshuvah was nice enough to push me, and plus Legolas was going on vacation and if I didn't finish it quickly it would be awhile longer before it could go up.

But generally that is not the case and you can see that in Forgotten Oak and Amita where I am able to complete small parts of my overall plan and put them up one at a time. Sometimes I'm able to complete whole dungeons at once, other times I complete parts of them and block off stairs to mark where I plan to expand it when I finally get back to it. However, those dungeons like the Catacombs and the Elemental Dungeon were works in progress for long periods of time as I'd make little bits at a time. It's really isn't the best style of mapmaking and I want to be better, but then I think how much better it would be if I could trick someone into making my idea into a reality themselves and I go back to putting my feet up on Tesh's back.

Oh and I also make areas depending on my mood. At one time I may be in the mood to make something dark, other times I'll be in the mood to make something lighter. And other times yet I'm in no mood to make anything at all which happens a large percent of the time. It's a personality thing that applies to my life as well. I don't like making plans in advance as I want to go places and do things when I feel like it, not on a certain time where I may not feel the same way. It annoys people to no end, but this is only something I do in my personal life. I am fully capable of sticking to deadlines and appointed times if it's something of importance. Since Wyvern is just a hobby I am able to be carefree with what I work on.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Ah, but your method does ensure that your areas will be up-to-date, so to speak. It isn't something you work on a lot, put it in the game, and then it's out-of-date and unbalanced and gets removed (reference Floriana, Minath Prison, Blackrose houses, etc.). Instead your work can be fixed as the rules are updated and/or enforced, so there's less chance of it having to be completely overhauled.

Did that make sense?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Forum Admin

I made a 200 map quest area right after I made Forgotten Oak that I scrapped entirely. I also scrapped an entire dungeon called the Skull Cave because I made it during the time of the enchant bug and my only way of judging what was needed to challenge high levels was to watch those who said it was okay since I was promoted at level 6. In addition I redid Amita and I started redoing Forgotten Oak to some extent. However, all of these things were done because I felt the need to do so. Nobody had to tell me to do it or they would be removed.

Btw, some of those things you listed were removed because of new standards Teshuvah and I set. They were made by inexperienced wizards who didn't do much beyond their first area. Where as we spent years experimenting until we came up with new and better standards. That's why our areas today aren't going to go the way of those - We're always on the cutting edge of map related content and are always around to tweak this or that.

It has nothing to do with my laziness regarding mapmaking as Teshuvah is the type of person who can put an original 200 map area together in a month and have it be absolutely brilliant and long lasting. You see, we are mapmakers and are not trying to throw things together to get promoted or to fill the game up with stuff in the early days. We truly want to make something great and that's the difference. I just happen to be someone who cannot commit to work when I'm not under a deadline that I have to complete or risk losing a lot where as Teshuvah is the type of person who has to sit down and work on something until it's done as the thought of leaving it unfinished is not a pleasant one.

I much rather be her. I'm just a person with a lot of ideas, but no real will to truly follow through on them. Where as she has the best of both worlds. No matter, that just means you get to listen to me lecture you about multi-map cities and all the various other things we have come up with for the future of Wyvern content. One day when we get enough new content, we'll be able to get rid of all of those box cities that nobody has upgraded and get rid of all those unrandomized quests. Some of you may end up being upset by that, but you should've seen Wyvern when I first became a wizard. Simple things like a detailed backstory for an area just for the sake of there being a story was unheard of. If you did things like that people thought it must've been a quest area. It was much easier to not to write out unique conversations for npcs and why find ways to leave hints to a story when you could just fill everything with monsters? Now you need to make dungeons if you want to make a monster area. This business of making something called a ruins map with buildings that all linked to one map with various different monsters is being phased out. It was a fancy way of dressing up a zoo. You pick which ones you wanted to enter and could always run right out when you needed to - Wait until monsters follow you between dungeon maps. New and better things are always being planned.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Nightswift has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraxis View Post
You shouldnt really ask for new things especially when you havint tried everything.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:02 PM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

he didnt ask for new races he asked if theres a possibility that there will be new ones
Old 12-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Child asks...
Can I possibly have a cookie?
or
Can I have a cookie?
Answer remains the same, No.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Child asks...
or
Can I have a cookie?
Unless your my dad, then the answer to the first one is "yes, there is a possibility".
Old 12-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
If you mean one day, then yes there are plans for new races...sometime in the vague and distant future. If you mean when the game comes back online then no.
Quote:
Child asks...
or
Can I have a cookie?

well tesh your answer contradicts Arilou's =P
Old 12-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

It doesnt contradict Arilou's answer at all, there is no possibility that there will be a new race when the game comes up.
*wonders to herself why she bothers to even read a post if the author is Xae*
Old 12-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

<<Wander by muttering incoherently>>

"Intelligent Player. Trying to find a new race. Mayhaps you've heard of it? The Intelligent Player? No? Nuts."

<<Wanders onward>>

Old 12-25-2007, 02:24 AM

It's always possible, but so is teleporting back in time by thinking about your childhood. Possible doesn't always mean probable.

I'd say you have a better chance of teleporting through time then truly expecting something extravagant such as this to come back.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Wizard

Arisu has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
It's always possible, but so is teleporting back in time by thinking about your childhood. Possible doesn't always mean probable.
The Butterfly Effect is such a good movie.
Ashton Kutcher = hot.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:37 PM

Andron has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisu View Post
Ashton Kutcher = hot.
So true!!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraxis View Post
Quote:
It doesnt contradict Arilou's answer at all, there is no possibility that there will be a new race when the game comes up.
*wonders to herself why she bothers to even read a post if the author is Xae*

Oh im sorry tesh i didnt realize the original post asked if theres a possibility for new races when the game comes back up..that was my mistake..sorry for that..your comment didnt contradict at ALL