Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Grouping idea

Ok so people are always talking about ways to make grouping more popular in wyvern. Frankly, grouping for me always slows me down in my training, whether its because I have to share exp so I dont get as much, or wait for another character to go deeper into an RD level. Anyway the ideas im about to post may possibly have been already posted, and if so somebody please send me a link.

Ok first idea some people might have recognized it from other games. In this idea, as well as getting XP for you and your group member, you get xp towards a group level. The xp you get wont be shared amongst you, your group members, and the group level but will be split into two separate categories. For example, without the group level idea, if there were two members of a group and one killed a reaper, both will get 2.5K XP- assuming theyre the same level. With the group level both will still get 2.5K XP plus XP towards the group level. The whole point of this group level idea is that the higher the group level, the more XP you get in the long run. For example you get 2.5 XP amongst two players at level 1 group level, but at level 10 you get twice that, and the more your group levels the more XP you get. This might encourage more clan interaction allowing for clan members to call upon each other to group.

Another idea (which I THINK ive seen somewhere else before) is a group quest. Something similar to the AV mini quest, only you recieve group quest points for doing it. In the quest it will be like a Morgos event, where one of multiple guild members will be needed to achieve a goal. For example you reach a point where you need a naga to translate directions on a sign, or a giant to maybe reach a key. At the end of these quests there would be a monster almost exactly like Morgos, with different levels of power for lower levels of these guild quests.

If anybody has anything to add or take from, the input will be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM

Moraath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Eye

I've actually never grouped in Wyvern (gotta be careful what you pick up, as you can't give items), so I don't really know how it works. In fact, I didn't know you were -allowed- to group without a wizards permission... So I assume I'm getting that mixed up with something else.

Anyhow, wyvern has always struck me as a massive online world with pretty much no multiplayer, and I think it would be great if people started teaming up. Fun-time, better roleplaying opportunities, the ability to take something down that one of you alone might not normally be able to...

One problem, though, is that spells would make a whole lot of lag, and thus people probably wouldn't want to group with mages. Perhaps if there was some way to only register the graphic once per tile (I have no idea if that's possible or even the problem), but that's for another thread. My point is that it would be mostly melee sorts of folk that would be grouping, and so if it turns into a big advantage, mages will most likely need to be tweaked.
Balance.

Just A Thought.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xae View Post
Another idea (which I THINK ive seen somewhere else before) is a group quest. Something similar to the AV mini quest, only you recieve group quest points for doing it. In the quest it will be like a Morgos event, where one of multiple guild members will be needed to achieve a goal. For example you reach a point where you need a naga to translate directions on a sign, or a giant to maybe reach a key. At the end of these quests there would be a monster almost exactly like Morgos, with different levels of power for lower levels of these guild quests.
That's more or less the basic idea of group dungeons, minus the quest points (the rules do not allow for making quests that require multiple players to solve them). Each one is different; some may require you take certain classes (archer, fighter, mage) with you while others may require you take certain races. At the end of the most powerful ones, there will be a Morgos or a monster like him and defeating this creature will result in you getting a cache of prizes which you can split up amongst yourselves or you may simply get one powerful item (e.g. The Amulet of Morgos) that can possibly only be gotten from that dungeon and your motivation is to help others get that item after they helped you. Again each one would be the different but the basic idea of many of the most powerful ones is to sacrifice xp for an item which will make you more powerful than other such items in the game while working together with others (in the long run there will also be high level group dungeons designed for xp gain). If you have a clan you can make an event out of attempting to storm one such dungeon or you could get together with your trusted friends and have a go at it. But trying to solo any such dungeon would be an absolute impossibility.

The general idea is much more complicated to fill in one paragraph, but since it's something you will be seeing in the future I'm not going into extensive detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraath View Post
In fact, I didn't know you were -allowed- to group without a wizards permission... So I assume I'm getting that mixed up with something else.
Yes, you're confusing it with quests. You're not allowed to group on a quest without permission from a wizard. You may however group with anybody you like on the drop of the dime, for anything involving non-quest areas. There's even a group command which splits the xp you guys get so long as you are within range of each other when a kill is made.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You dont need to worry about mages being unwanted in groups. The awesome resists we provide make us a must for a lot of characters. Back in the day I grouped with all sorts of people because my build is basic support for meleers. A little fire, a little water, a little air, a lot of life and I cast healing on my meleer and resists so they pretty much never die and dont need a bag full of potions. I also grouped with some giants on my pixie mage at lower levels because they couldnt handle reapers yet and I could bomb them from afar and not die. Same with monopods. Mages are great for grouping! You just need to be persistent in finding meleers that protect you.

Im not sure I really follow the group level idea completely though, do you mean that in one instance of you grouping with a player you gain levels based on how long you play together? Or does it last over time and over server resets just like a guild level, or a player level?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 AM

Moraath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm not totally sure, Themadhobo, but I think that he was suggesting that you get group experience whenever you kill creatures, and with that experience the group levels up. I really dunno how groups work, but I'm probably 62% sure that a server save wipes any formed groups.

Go team, go!

Just A Thought...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhobo View Post
Im not sure I really follow the group level idea completely though, do you mean that in one instance of you grouping with a player you gain levels based on how long you play together? Or does it last over time and over server resets just like a guild level, or a player level?

Yeah it doesn't stick as soon as the group is over than the group level no longer does a thing for you. Once you make a new group, it's back at one.
Also what I meant was, its not how long your in a group but rather the XP you get for the group allowing your group to level, and ultimately resulting in you getting more XP. It's a bit hard for me to explain so if anybody understands what I'm getting at..please..lol
Old 07-21-2007, 09:50 PM

I get what you meant now, so basically the more xp you gain within your group, the more bonus xp you get from being a member of the group. I like it.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:50 AM

Slowlight has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Peacy and myself group all the time, anything that may be added in the future is just a bonus in my mind.

I don't know why more people don't group in Wyvern, although the XP ensentive isn't there, other things make it worth while.

He's hows it works for us -

Peacy's Role -

Picks up heavy loots
Goes down the stairs first! X_X
Kills stuff that is resistant to magics

Slow's Role -

Give peacy resists - means different items for quicker killin'
Kill stuff weak to fire/strong to smash
Provide healin'/dispels

Duel Role -

Someone to talk to so you don't get bored, which is probably the most important part of grouping.

He sure does get mad when I burn scrolls though!

Slow.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:00 PM

I used to group all the time with draghairyz but he retired. Then I grouped with clubbz and another giant whose name Ive forgotten on my pixie, but then the game went down. I think it would be just as well to have a group ranking. Like some kind of system that just holds the xp you gain when youre in a certain group but doesnt give you any bonus. It just creates a competition to grouping.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

How about a command which allows you to choose the percentage of xp each player of the group gets. There are people who wouldn't mind making a little less xp to group. But if this were to be implemented with the original group level Idea, total amount of experience gained per player can not be worth more than the monster gives total.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 AM

peacemaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to peacemaster

slow forgot 1 thing to add to my role : Laugh when he gets stuck in a trap when you keep telling him every day to fly...