Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Remixed has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Multiple Arrow Skill

Well, I was thinking of a new skill for archers guild, it maxes at the level 3. You get a bonus in the skill at guild levels 3, 7, and 10, and you can't train it.

Basically, it's like a spell except that you use it as a command ("fire multiple arrow <direction>" ?, something like that).

With one point in the skill, you can fire 2 arrows at once (by inputing the command "fire multiple arrow <direction>"), and it would cost you 2 mana (might be too little).

With 2 points you can fire 3 arrows at once (again by using the command "fire multiple arrow <direction>") and it would cost 3 mana

With 3 points you can fire 4 arrows and it would cost 4 mana.

Iunno maybe this will make archers a bit stronger?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM

quijote has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't think this would be of any help
Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 PM

tasone has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think that it would depend on several things to determine if the idea would help... it sounds like the multishot feat from D&D to me...
Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 PM

The idea is that, if you use the regular fire n (I think that's the command), you would shoot 1 arrow north in an instant, but if you use fire multiple arrow n, you would shoot 4 arrows in an instant, rather than one, therefore increasing your damage output by 4x
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 PM

tasone has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

As I said, it's like the multishot D&D feat. It could help out archers, but it would also quickly drain the arrow supply if you don't keep an eye on it.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

*raises an eyebrow* How exactly does one shoot 4 arrows at once?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 AM

quijote has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Legolas did it. Can't recall whether he ever shot 4 but he definitely shot 2 at a time.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Forum Admin

I know how one shoots 2 arrows at once, hense I only asked how you shoot 4 at once - Count the spaces between your fingers and don't include the one between your tumb and index finger.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...cle_1174.shtml

Notice the one time it's done, (only reference I could find on google) it's a groundbreaking stunt - You're not going to be able to replicate that in battle and especially not with primitive technology.

http://comicfacts.blogspot.com/2005/...s-at-once.html

This link explains some of the problems with the idea in general. A blog isn't the best source in the world, but I've read this before from a legitimate source.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030225a

The D&D version is briefly explained here. Notice it lets you fire up to 4 arrows at once, which I assume is where Remixed got the concept I was previously puzzled by (the part that puzzled me is how any reasonable person could suggest you be able to fire 4 arrows at once). However, not everything D&D does is the brightest thing in the world as obvious by this, (at least they give attack penalties for extra arrows fired) so one needs to use their brain a bit before trying to nab concepts from them.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM

lol I actually got the idea from watching this show, but that's irrelevant

The idea is that the arrows would have a loop of rope (or adhesive) around near the end of it.

------
||||||\___x_________________________________
||||||/
------

x = a little piece of rope or some medieval glue

You would then put one of your fingers into the loop, thus enabling you to hold 4 arrows, if that makes sense

btw the piece of rope (or adhesive) would rip apart from the immense pressure you're putting on the arrow when you pull back to shoot, allowing you to shoot the arrow.

This would probably make you less accurate, so negative FW I guess

Last edited by Remixed : 06-28-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Forum Admin

Was this show a cartoon or some sort of other fictional show or was it a non-fictional work? If so name your source.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Archers being what they are need to be able to deliver long range, powerful and accurate attacks. I used to be a fan of multiple arrows being shot. Then I learned some physics in high school.

Now I am much more a fan of magically augmenting arrows. After all, explaining things with magic is much better than with faulty science.

I've heard many conflicting accounts on what the effects of plusses on bows do. They either need to be removed (as useless) or completely implemented (a +10 damage +9 accuracy would offer quite a noticeable effect. I have noticed none so far.)

I would like to see some spells affect arrows as well. For example, casting shock blade on your bow, would send the first arrow away with a charge. Casting the spell on the arrows themselves seems far too messy to deal with from (my limited) coding viewpoint. Some bows already pass off bonuses, so it seems logical that much less modification is needed.

Another example of a spell would be one that drains mana as it is used. Cast it on a sword or bow, and ever time you swing your sword or fire an arrow, a certain amount of mana is used. The spell would have very little casting cost, and can be dispelled at any time. It would most likely be enchantment.

Also I hope I used affect/effect correctly.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Forum Admin

Logwad - I hate getting into discussing my ideas which require coding, but since you mentioned it I've had the following idea since 2003 (case in point for hating getting into it - nothing gets done in fast order with them). The basic idea was that there is a special type of magical arrow which you can obtain (it was black in my head, but obviously color does not matter). When fired it splits to create more arrows and of course in the original non-Wyvern idea each one always finds it's way to an enemy's heart, (this was something I came up between chapters as a way for an outside source to come in and save the main characters from an impossible situation - ironically I read another book by that author months later where he had the same creation, but I digress) but for the purposes of Wyvern it just mimics the cone spells where by you see one arrow come out of you and then in front of that 3 more appear and so on and so forth. Unlike the cone spell, though, the arrow on the square closest to you will vanish before 3 appear on the line in front of it (again...and so on and so forth). In an attempt to be clear - Like the cone spell, each new arrow gets its own square.

That, along with Rhialto's targeting arrow idea, would end up making an archer's job less tedious. Something mages and fighters do not have to deal with and thus one of the big reasons why the archer class is so non-existent. But, it's one of those things I've been sitting on until the time came where someone was ready to build on archers, beyond elemental arrows (I thought Rhialto would get back to them with his targeting arrow idea, but he ended up moving to other upgrades).

Anyway, more recently, I've become interested in seeing some of D&D's magical arrows carried over into Wyvern. Namely, there is one that has a chance of snaring an enemy when it hits them, causing them to be stuck in place until the spell runs out (obviously, the arrow is magically enchanted to cast a spell on the target). For Wyvern that would allow an archer to have a chance at firing that arrow and then switching to more traditional arrows before the monster runs the archer into a corner or out of the map entirely. Another one which I am on the fence about is an arrow which is magically enchanted to explode into a fireball when it hits something. It would be a quick way to get rid of some enemies, but I'm curious if it would be worth it since you wouldn't get guild xp for the damage the fireball causes and the previous mentioned cone arrow would already be a quick way of ridding yourself of legions of weaker enemies.

As far as the multishot idea goes, here's my position - A new skill would be useless as archers would have a hard time finding the skill points for it and with the attack penalty and lack of range we'd have to add, in addition to them possibly losing arrows more quickly to an enemy which is too powerful to get by in order for them to retrieve those arrows, I don't see it being worth it for archers. Which could lead someone to the idea of adding it within the current ranged skill, but why bother when we could just add more powerful arrows? In future group dungeons, which I am trying to develop as a large part of Wyvern's future, the plan is to include a limited number of + damage arrows (among other things) as rewards since I very much want to get players into making archers by making them required reading (so to speak) in forced group situations throughout the game. The way to do this is not only to reward them, but make it necessary for them to be brought along by other classes - Black dragons are a low level example of how it could be made absolutely necessary to need them at higher levels. Mages have a difficult time with them because they are inclined to block their spells and fighters have a difficult time with them because their counterattack is especially damaging to them, leaving the door open for archers to come in. Since they are low level monsters, higher levels of all classes have no problem with them, but create a beefed up version and make it so they can't move to the next room unless it is killed and suddenly you have the beginnings of a group dungeon...However, I am getting off topic so I'll end this post with that.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 PM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

what about instead of a new skill, a new item. Like a "splintering arrow" or something of the sort. The idea being when it hits the enemy is smashes into them shattering into hundreds of splinters... maybe having an effect like stopping the monster in its tracks for half a second. I dont know if that would help an archer any... or if it would really be remarkably valid for an archer in wyvern, though it might be easier to create than a new skill.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

oh, he said a lot so I got bored of reading after a line or two...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 PM

halldor has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Anything that would require pressing more keys might slow the archer down, and thereby force him/her to fire fewer arrows. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Yah, we already have arrow fire lag. :\

"ZOMG why am I firing at empty space the monster moved it's coming toward me why can't I stop it's getting closer this is so *death*"
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 AM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That is what wands/rods of earth wall are for Make it so they have to come straight at you :P