Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:50 AM

WyvernXa has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Armor Sets

Ok, so once again I woke up in the morning and had an idea. This time it involves armor and possible bonuses given by a set of armor. You collect three or more armor pieces that form a set when combined and then you gain a bonus in skills or HP/MP or what not.

For example:

Spirit Visor (Headgear)
Spirit Suit (Body armor)
Spirit Galoshes (Boots)

If you are wearing one or two of the set items you get no bonuses. But when you're wearing all three then you get bonus in spirit traveling and/or spirit magic.

That was just a spontaneous example. I'm sorry that I'm lacking idea-explanation skills. I hope you get the idea. And if you do, what do you think?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Its a good and a bad idea. The basic idea or concept of it is a good idea. But wearing a entire set of armor shouldn't give any elemental bonouse. Maybe a sword bonuse or something.

But since it'll be bungling armor, and it should be bungling. It should help towards melee, never magic.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 AM

Nightswift has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Coffee Mug

I like the idea because it would make you go for a full set before you would truly get anything out of it. Make the armor obtainable through a series of quests or something along the line of an LQ.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM

quijote has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightswift View Post
Make the armor obtainable through a series of quests or something along the line of an LQ.
very ragnarokish, good one.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM

Nightswift has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I have nevr played that game I just think it would be nice to have some diversity in the way you can abilities and attributes.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

It's a good idea.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

How bout instead of finding this kind of stuff through a series of LQ-style quests, maybe having to travel fairly deep into a dungeon and fight a boss which may have one of the set items, or may just drop gold and a gem or something of that sort. That way you have to fight a boss to get a set piece, but its not guaranteed, and it gives some variation to have to do quests to obtain anything special in wyvern, and variation is a good thing! I think...
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 AM

quijote has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

What ever the way may be to acquire such items it has to be hard.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by arilou
It's a good idea.
wow thats the shortest message I've seen arilou post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
But since it'll be bungling armor, and it should be bungling. It should help towards melee, never magic.
Thats not neccesarily true salkand, you could have magic consisting of a robe, hat and maybe a pair of magical shoes or gloves....overall I like this idea, and think if it were to be implemented, all the uber agility gear should be removed as getting such high dogde should not be an easy task............
Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

You don't need to suggest how such an idea would be added to the game as that is up to the wizards who decide to make use of it. For example, I have already eyed it as a posibility for future group dungeon rewards. I want to find ways to get a player to do the same dungeon multiple times in order to help other members of their group get the same item they just received even though they may be glorified death traps. To do that say you have three different group dungeons spread throughout the world, each with a different set of the armor as a reward. A player is more likely to redo the same dungeon in a row to help their partners get the same armor piece if those partners have the leverage of only helping them with the next piece of armor when they have their piece. To make it so one player doesn't try to trick the others into saying he or she will help them only once they have complete set, one could even make it so that you have to do each dungeon in a row and cannot move onto dungeon two unless all party members have the reward from dungeon one.

Clubbz - I'm trying to be more supportive, but I'm at a loss of words unless I am also pointing out a negative aspect of a good or idea, explaining to players who are critizing the idea why they are wrong about it being bad, or stating that it's being added soon. That's why in the past I have ignored these ideas that they require coding - It seemed better for me just to leave them archived until a coder came along and was willing to do it.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Weezerd

Contrare has disabled reputation

Multiple items to "build" armor or sets of armor is not a new idea, although it may be a new idea to the current players. Unfortunately it takes a lot of effort and is near impossible to really do with Wyvern off-line. Some things are just very difficult to do without some coding support. *eyes the ever growing pile of untested code*

Of course, none of this should not prevent players from suggesting good ideas. Many ideas on my list have roots in off-hand comments made by players and wizards.

Contrare
Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM

If I were to do some work on coding a set of armor that works the way its meant to, would anyone be interested in using it, or possibly teaming up with me to implement it?

PS I know Im going to get that blab from the wizards about "you have to be a wizard of such and such level already to be able to implement code for the game" but that wont stop me from trying to create a set of armor that could well be used at some point. If I have to submit something more basic to get permission, Ill just go back and finish my goblin caves with custom pics, inventories and items first.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

When Custom Armors get implemented with Different Items giving different properties to them, I hope that Wyvern does not become a 2d Ares...

Any Beffer on armor (from a gem, + ability etc.) should not be game breaking.

I.E. (the following are just examples to demonstrate what I mean by the above statements.)

A stone (or some such) adds agility AND -armor (assuming armor gets reworked.) to make it so you dodge more hits, but when you do get hit.... yeah.

A stone that adds MP should reduce HP

Also, buffs on armors should be subtle, and unique, while remaining balanced.

Arilou something that might improve the incentive to group as well, would be a shield spell that heals partymembers that stand within it (at a rate that increases upon the casters (I can't find the archive for Wyverns site so I can't check to see what (incantation,evocation,enchantment, or conjurection) art it would be and the rate at which the casters MP gets used and turned into freindly HP is dependant on casters Life skill. (it would be really cool if this did not affect the caster, but instead the caster gets a small amount of XP per point of HP healed on team members.) Just a thought which I know won't get added for eons IF it gets added :P lol but W/E Jsut Ideas for increasing desire to group.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:21 PM

what about a set that increases skills a little bit? something like a cloth set for casters that might, say, increase all arts by 1 and all elements by 1, but is incredibly hard to get, hasnt got dodge and takes your chest, hand and head slot perhaps. Maybe a mail armor that adds to find weakness and healing and takes up your boots, gauntlets and belt? Or leather armor that adds to whips, daggers and forestry (thinking for the future)?

Well anyways, Im setting out to figure out how to create an item that checks what other items are worn before you put it on. If anyone knows if a package in the API exists with a method that can view items worn by a player, please send me a link. If such a method does not exist, I guess Ive got some work to do...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Weezerd

Contrare has disabled reputation

*sigh* You pointed out one of us would say this...but you MUST be a wizard before you start coding. You want to code? Do your area first. There are just too many concepts you have to understand before you can understand how to do the code. First, you have no way of debugging your code without being a wizard. And trust me, you will have to spend plenty of time doing that when you are. Second, I (and any other coding wizard) has no real interest in going over someone elses code with a fine tooth comb looking for abuses or debugging it for you. I have enough trouble doing that to my own code.

If someone is such a "good coder", why would it take them anytime at all to do a set of maps and get them approved? Making maps is just coding in a "map" language instead of Python or Java. Nobody ever said you had to be a good artist, I certainly do not count myself anywhere near an artist. *Stop Laughing! I already gave you the site for a blue <redact>, to prove they exist.*

Consider it a trial by fire. Make the maps. Do the time. Part of life is being tested. Your teachers will. Your boss will. Your spouse will. Your children DEFINATELY will. Test for the right to code for wyvern: become a wizard. If you cannot understand this simple concept, then do not bother applying. Better you spend you time working on coding for one of thousands of other open source projects. Say Crossfire or NetHack or Rogue or Moria.

Contrare
Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 PM

I most definitely never said I want someone else debugging my code. Despite wyvern being a group effort to expand, it is indivual project coding, which is what attracts me to developping it.
I also never said I wouldnt do the maps, I have a set of maps that Ive been working on. Theyre not complete yet because without doing any hard coding makes me bored, so I do the maps bit by bit. I understand the process to become a wizard and I also understand that you need to understand the game/code/API/implemented classes/balance etc. to be able to create anything useful to the future of the game. I also understand that the game itself has to be up to debug my code, but that by no means would say that I cant come up with the logical statements and work on the semantics and syntax later, right?

Carrying on from my last post. If a method already exists in wyvern for getting the worn items, can anyone direct me to it? Otherwise I will try to figure it out myself when I have sufficient time.

Nevermind about anyone directing me to a getArmor() command, Ive found it now.