Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default Horror Movies

Anyone know any good ones? I have been searching for a movie to scare me senseless and I have not found it yet.

A list of what i've watched so far(at least the titles I can remember at the moment):

Paranormal Activity 2 & 3
Paranormal Entity
Grave Encounters
Jacob's Ladder
Night of the Living Dead
Possibly every Friday the 13th
Possibly every Halloween
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hellraiser
Nightmare on Elm Street

Last edited by Trayr : 02-25-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The paranormal activity movies are pretty good. I enjoyed signs when I was younger.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Is there anything in particular you like in a horror movie? I might come up with some suggestions if I had a better idea of what you like.

As a casual suggestion, I consider The Evil Dead (and the sequel) a must-see for any horror fan, even if it's not the scariest movie around. ("BOOMSTICK!")

Last edited by Kama : 02-26-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM

What I really like in a horror movie is suspense, lots and lots of suspense. I want something that will keep me on the edge of my seat, not some movie that is just really gory (Saw series for example.)

On a side note: I just finished Dead Silence, it was pretty good in my opinion. I will be sure to check out Signs.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Player Mod

Signs then and most emnight shamelon movies (probably spelled wrong)
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

People watch horror movies to be scared... and they know it's not real, um, right? How does that work?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Just because you know they are fiction doesn't mean they can't make you jump, or worse.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Forum Admin

Yeah I don't get that at all. I relate people who "jump" because of something they see in a fictional movie to stupid people and/or children. So, I say be glad that you're finding it difficult to be "scared senseless" by something. It's maybe a sign that you're maturing.... maybe.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Yeah I don't get that at all. I relate people who "jump" because of something they see in a fictional movie to stupid people and/or children. So, I say be glad that you're finding it difficult to be "scared senseless" by something. It's maybe a sign that you're maturing.... maybe.
Do you also consider people that allow themselves to be brought in by the tenseness of a scene in a novel immature?

It's the same thing.

Last edited by Kama : 02-26-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Forum Admin

It depends on what makes you tense. Are you tense because the descriptions are scaring you personally or are you tense because the novel was substantial enough to make you really care about its characters and thus allow you become emotionally invested in what happens to them? Unless the latter, then regardless of it is occurs because of a movie or a book, I do think it's rather stupid. Movies more so though as with books you use your imagination to a much greater degree whereas with movies you tend to heavily depend on the visuals presented to you and, they may be visually appealing, but they rarely look real.

So, say you see this little doll hobbling around on screen with a knife. If this scares you, I will think less of your intelligence. Sorry, I just think of that as something from my early, early childhood that I've outgrown. Thus, I do not get how people do it as adult. Although, in fairness, I have been thoroughly desensitized by watching a lot of those kinds of things growing up.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
It depends on what makes you tense. Are you tense because the descriptions are scaring you personally or are you tense because the novel was substantial enough to make you really care about its characters and thus allow you become emotionally invested in what happens to them? Unless the latter, then regardless of it is occurs because of a movie or a book, I do think it's rather stupid. Movies more so though as with books you use your imagination to a much greater degree whereas with movies you tend to heavily depend on the visuals presented to you and, they may be visually appealing, but they rarely look real.

So, say you see this little doll hobbling around on screen with a knife. If this scares you, I will think less of your intelligence. Sorry, I just think of that as something from my early, early childhood that I've outgrown. Thus, I do not get how people do it as adult. Although, in fairness, I have been thoroughly desensitized by watching a lot of those kinds of things growing up.
OK, fair enough. For me personally, it's the interaction between the character in the movie or book and the object of fear that will make me the most tense. I'd be willing to extend that to other people and say, for many of them, it's probably similar. I doubt most think about it on that level though.

On the other hand, fear is a natural emotion. At some point in our lives, we've all experienced it; and at some further point in our lives, undoubtedly, will experience it again. In this sense we're able as human beings to relate to the character on the screen - provided the artist has done their job well - and the artist uses that to "pull on our heartstrings", to evoke the emotions they desire us to feel.

When people read a story, or watch a movie, most will immerse themselves in the story. They relinquish control: they want to be made to laugh, or cry, made aware, be shocked, be scared.

If you were put in stead of Hercules against the Hydra, would you not be scared? A 9-headed beast bearing down on you, the stench of it's odour wafting into your nostrils - it's bloodlust, it's hunger. Hercules himself was doubtless afraid, yet it was his Courage that allowed him to face the beast and emerge the victor.

Now while each of us may not face the Hydra on a regular basis, nonetheless we face similar situations all the time; the stories we tell may well remind us of our own experiences, and in turn, teach us something about ourselves.

I imagine the reason people like horror movies is something like that.

But who am I to know?

There is one thing I do know: Art is a reflection of life. People want to be scared - mayhaps it reminds them they're alive, mayhaps it's something else. Regardless, considering someone immature for desiring to be 'scared senseless' seems like you're jumping to conclusions, Arilou.

Don't make me go all Joseph Campbell on you.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Have you seen the Cube trilogy?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Player Mod

You should see the movie rubber. That movie is really scarey.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Cube is... interesting.

Rec 1 & 2 is good, creepy fun if you don't mind subtitles/like the whole handheld camera thing. Then again, it got mixed reviews, but I liked it. (There's an American version, but I like the original.)

Bah. There's a bunch of good ones on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember them at the moment.

The Shining is an obvious one, but I assume you've probably seen it. Not sure if it's "scared senseless" material, but a classic no less.

*thinks quietly for a while*
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Go back through Marble Hornets.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
Go back through Marble Hornets.
Never again...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Here are some I like, but I never really get scared from movies so don't be surprised if these are not all that scary.

"1408".
"Timecrimes" <---- It's in spanish and I was disappointed about that when I first started watching it, but it turned out to be a good movie.
"The Thing - 1982"
"Poltergeist"
"Anaconda" <--- haha, just kidding...seriously don't watch it.
"The Evil Dead" <--- first one is the scariest, other 2 are comedic but they are all awesome.
"The Lost Boys" <--- How can you beat Corey Feldman and Kiefer Sutherland?
"Predators" <--- action/suspense
"House of 1000 Corpses" <--- I absolutely hated this movie but it's probably considered scarier than most.
"House on Haunted Hill" <--- I only saw the remake, original is probably better.
"Drag Me To Hell" <--- It's by Sam Raimi the guy who wrote/directed The Evil Dead trilogy.
"It - 1990" <--- The main cause of Coulrophobia in children.