Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

View Poll Results: Did you attempt NaNoWriMo this year?
I've succeeded several times. Old news. 0 0%
I finished for the first time! 1 33.33%
I tried... I didn't finish. =( 0 0%
Nano what now? (I've never heard of it.) 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default NaNoWriMo

Did any of you attempt NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year?

This is the first time I completed it. I struggled through, but I managed to finish! =D

My book was an awful science fiction piece that I've yet to TRULY finish (I hit the 50K word mark, but the book isn't ready for human consumption. Several characters walking around with names that are descriptions of them that I've yet to use find/replace on). It involved lots of strange happenings and several Deus Ex Machina.

I'd love to hear what you wrote about, or, if you're just now learning of its existence, what you would write about!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Do you mind if I ask you some questions?

What writing experience do you have outside of this whole thing? Have you written short stories? If so, are they of a publishable or approaching publishable level quality?

What do you expect to get out writing 50k words in a month? Do you feel as though you've improved as a writer? Do you care to improve as a writer? Do you think your story can be edited to be coherent? Do you think perhaps you're locked into paths (like the Deus Ex Machinas) that you otherwise wouldn't have been because you were trying to write so quickly? Meaning, if you spent more time researching, sitting back thinking, ruminating that maybe you could have come up with angles that are now impossible to insert into what you have?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

All very valid questions, let me take them one at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Do you mind if I ask you some questions?
Already did!

Quote:
What writing experience do you have outside of this whole thing? Have you written short stories? If so, are they of a publishable or approaching publishable level quality?
Well, I minored in English, just to start out with. I have written a lot, but recently I find that I don't have time for it. I don't think anything I've written is good enough to be published, per se.

Quote:
What do expect to get out writing 50k words in a month?
I get to write for the sake of writing; I miss creative writing, and I've had an idea for a graphic novel that I never got around to writing, so I figured the NaNoWriMo approach would be a perfect way to get a first draft out of just the story. Obviously if I want to make a graphic novel of it, there will be a lot of revision necessary (writing it into screenplay format, just to start out with).

Quote:
Do you feel as though you've improved as a writer? Do you care to improve as a writer?
I think, when writing anything of length, the act of writing itself helps improve a writer, even if it's not tangible improvements. I do feel as though I've improved, but only slightly. I honestly didn't go into it caring if I improved, I just wanted to write, since I missed it.

Quote:
Do you think your story can be edited to be coherent?
Absolutely. There's a lot that still needs to be written to get to that point, and a lot that needs to be edited. I didn't write it linearly, so a couple of times I accidentally made inconsistencies, though those can be easily remedied.

Quote:
Do you think perhaps you're locked into paths (like the Deus Ex Machinas) that you otherwise wouldn't have been because you were trying to write so quickly? Meaning, if you spent more time researching, sitting back thinking, ruminating that maybe you could have come up with angles that are now impossible to insert into what you have?
I think that's a valid concern. I feel like I limited myself, for sure, but through revision, it will get better. Anything where something magical can happen always opens up to the possibility of plot-holes, and upon re-reading, I'm sure I'll find some that I'll have to really think over to knock out.

I did a lot of the planning in my head and on paper for this particular story over the past few years, though, so I had some solid ideas to start out with. I also have a medium length work commute, so ideas for the book would crop up while I was in the car (and I would dictate those to my phone).

I wish I could have had more time for research, but it's not as though I can't rewrite some parts. But I did have a good time writing it, which to me is the important part. With how busy life can get, I'm just glad I was able to have the time to write. I may have to ditch or greatly revise some pieces, large and small, but I don't regret writing those, either. I wouldn't improve without having written those pieces.