Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand
Default There was once a time when there were 70 people online. . .

When I fist started playing wyvern it wasn't uncommon to log on and find almost 80+ people playing for most of the day. A year later that number based around 60+people. In 2006 that number was 50+ people. Today we get an average of 20+ people during high time. What has changed and why?

Of course it is most likely impossible to narrow down the reason into one specific area. I believe it is because there are now a significant number of players who are level 25+ and there is nothing for these players to do other than RD. RDing is boring!

Well, I didn't open this topic to rant about RDing, Welcome ladies and gentlemen. . . and crier because he likes to ruin these things. Welcome one and all to the wyvern player base theories!

And your theories are. . .
Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 PM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Well I know there are a few major factors.

1. The game being down for a year.

2. School just started a month ago.

3. A lot of significant game changes that ruined the playstyle of many players.

4. People simply grow bored of games over time.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

(I'm all giddy about being mentioned in a Salty post so my reply may not be too good, anyways)

I believe the two biggest factors in lower player base are:

When the game was down for so long, people moved on to other games and got addicted to them.

And two, like Hobo said, changes made to playing style that people couldn't adjust to.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-20-2008, 02:08 AM

anatil has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
(I'm all giddy about being mentioned in a Salty post so my reply may not be too good, anyways)

I believe the two biggest factors in lower player base are:

When the game was down for so long, people moved on to other games and got addicted to them.

And two, like Hobo said, changes made to playing style that people couldn't adjust to.
After the game was down we had a player cap limit (I think it was like 68) and that limit was often reached...so it isn't that. And as for moving on to other addicting games, I've gotten addicted to about 10 different games...and still play all of them and wyvern (though not as much as I used to).

And I'll also have to agree with hobo, after the spam healing nerf...the majority of people found the game unplayable and left, ever since that players online cap limit has yet to be reached (to my knowledge). Add to that the fact most players found out that the game is going to get even more nerfs and eventually is going to get a massive reset (as bin hilariously pointed out with the 'reset button' in minath a few days ago).

So to the point, with all the nerfs and the fact that the only thing interesting in the game anymore is the socials, rds, a random lq (which is only won by the big fatties), and of course the whole...lag thing. Needless to say most players lost interest. Wyvern isn't the ever evolving world it was 3 years ago...the only 'evolving' wyvern is doing these days is in the opposite direction

Old 09-20-2008, 03:51 AM

blazerv has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Yeah, I miss a lot of my old wyvern friends.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatil View Post
Add to that the fact most players found out that the game is going to get even more nerfs
Actually, we've said that we're looking to balance the game, not just nerf it (balance is a two way street). Following the change made to spam healing, the idea was to look into ac problems so you guys would be better off and to take a hard look at various monsters (and areas) that might've been made too difficult during the spam healing era. Then some following tweaks were going to made to healing issues (both what you would consider to be positive and negative) and there were some things that were discussed which would make combat more interesting. So overall, the idea was to try to make you better off than you currently are and aside from spam healing, top priorities mainly included various bug fixes that the players would generally either be quite pleased with or couldn't care less about.

Quote:
and eventually is going to get a massive reset (as bin hilariously pointed out with the 'reset button' in minath a few days ago).
Nothing on the stat wipe front has changed recently. We've always said that Rhialto was reluctant to have to do one, but with all the things that have been abused and all the balance issues that have come up it (or a lesser type of wipe) may have to happen...someday. That hasn't changed and regardless, I doubt very much that many of you would still be around by the time enough work is done to get the game in good enough shape to where that will be an issue. So it's not something to quit over.

Quote:
Wyvern isn't the ever evolving world it was 3 years ago...the only 'evolving' wyvern is doing these days is in the opposite direction
You mean four. Anyway, the game is actually making quite a bit more progress now than it was in 2005, just with less players around to see it.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou
You mean four. Anyway, the game is actually making quite a bit more progress now than it was in 2005, just with less players around to see it.
A very good point one that easily removed most game fixes, the state swipe, and game progress from the possibility of having a low player base.

So that brings us back to the original question. Why do we have such a low player base when compared to 2004. Is it because people level too easily and the game is less challenging in the long run, resulting in a drop out of most medium to high level players?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatil View Post
After the game was down we had a player cap limit (I think it was like 68) and that limit was often reached...so it isn't that. And as for moving on to other addicting games, I've gotten addicted to about 10 different games...and still play all of them and wyvern (though not as much as I used to).
Trust me on this, I had many friends that came back to the novelty of Wyvern when it was finally back up, but then that began to fade, because most people have moved on, and because most people have moved on, they haven't been talking to their friends about Wyvern, and less and less new people are hearing about it...due to the fact that a "large" player base wasn't off talking about the game.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM

So a lack of publicity and advertisement?

Unfortunately that cost money, yet could we someone get free advertisement on game forums or some such thing?