Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 AM

Matalino has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Making a Human Mage

Hey, so I found myself a new project of a water/air mage. I was wondering about playstyle opinions:

Currently: I use Frost Wave/Blizzard to pump out 3 storms at the same time and use Lightning Bolt against corridors, lines, or single enemies. I was wondering if stream spells are more damaging that explosion spells.

How well would a Frost Wave/Lightning Shield/Mana Shield? More melee-oriented, but it could work out well.

I was also wondering, for a human character, whats better: focusing on Incantation/Life or Enchantment/Spirit? Also, would it be better to pump up Water and keep Air lagging? I find that I can solely use either FW, Blizzard, LB effectively. I wonder if theres a damage difference...

Thanks all!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM

ardax has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matalino View Post
Hey, so I found myself a new project of a water/air mage. I was wondering about playstyle opinions:

Currently: I use Frost Wave/Blizzard to pump out 3 storms at the same time and use Lightning Bolt against corridors, lines, or single enemies. I was wondering if stream spells are more damaging that explosion spells.

How well would a Frost Wave/Lightning Shield/Mana Shield? More melee-oriented, but it could work out well.

I was also wondering, for a human character, whats better: focusing on Incantation/Life or Enchantment/Spirit? Also, would it be better to pump up Water and keep Air lagging? I find that I can solely use either FW, Blizzard, LB effectively. I wonder if theres a damage difference...

Thanks all!
get 5 mind knock and paralyze so you can freeze people for 5 seconds (with no free action) and unlock chests it makes targeting SOOOO much easier with lightning bolt.

lightning bolt his smaller foes more times per level of air if air level = water level
also more foes have a lower resistance to air than water. thunderstorm hits darn hard on monos but the stones are so heavy so be careful and I sugest foing water to 10 at a lower level till you can get to the places where foes really start getting water resists ( white drags, AD, blue jellies)

Last edited by ardax : 08-25-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Aight. To start off you're thinking too much for a wyvern build.

Best thing I've found for all my builds on wyvern is to keep it simples. stick to a few skills for killing, and what's needed to stay alive.

Best way to create a successful build is to follow these steps.

step 1: Create survivability (mana shield, full heal, potions...etc)
as soon as you've created a char that can withstand any attack for a good 10 minutes of non stop fighting if need be. then you can move on to step 2
step 2: damage (spells, melee, range...etc)
It is best to keep damage down to a few skills as a lightning shield melee frost using holy paladin with fireball as a backup with spread your skillpoints out waaay too much. Plus it sounds really complicated aswell.

So in my opinion. The best build for someone who likes what I think you do. Try this out.

6 spirit (+1 shield)
10 meditation
4 life
11 lore (prismatic shield is better then lightning shield)
19 air
23 water
20 find weakness
5 merchant
3 healing

use 2 rings of fire resistance since you have 0 fire trained, and 2 rings + 40% from your fire resistance spell with 0 trained gives 90% which is "max".

Some friendly spells to use with high air magic
prismatic shield
fly
water breathing
speed
darksight
invisibility
see invisibility
magic map (high lore, so not recommended)
shrink armor (with high air magic you wont break fancies)
xray

these are all nice spells that will make doing anything easier.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If you want to be successful with an air/water mage, you need to be patient. You'll die a lot if you're not careful.

Air is beastly in PK and against monsters like monopods and reapers, but water magic is pretty weak compared to, say, fire. Many monsters are immune to cold, so it makes itself pretty useless once you get to a higher level.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM

ardax has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Just because something is not weak to an element doesn't stop you from using it. I have wasted lots of time trying and killing high level monsters. as long as you can do damage, you can eventualy kill the things
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 AM

The biggest problem I face is inability to kill some undead (dreaded vampires).

As far as survivability, I'm heavily reliant on healing and mana shield to protect me from those crowded entrances. Typically, I just pop in, drop a frost wave and if I see damage, I know to continue doing that. I don't know how to deal with undead though when they're right at a doorway or staircase, and I don't like getting exp drained.

Also when I said melee-oriented, I guess "in the fray" would be more accurate. I don't have any intentions to train in weapons, but I was wondering what an "in your face" type of mage would be like. *Shrug*

But thanks, that helps overall. And, I guess I can always visit the untrainer when necessary.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:48 PM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Get teleport for tight spots. Problem solved :]
Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Teleport in a bind?

Out of the frying pan, into the fire?

I've done that once with blink, popped right behind a wall surrounded by pirates.