Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 AM

Matalino has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Questions: Human Staff/Earth hybrid...thing

Whoa, hello! It has been nearly 2 years or so since I've last played this and I've forgotten quite a bit. (Formerly Mage-Scholar)

So, I'm experimenting with a build and I don't quite know what I should do with it now. I'm making a Human: Staff & Life/Earth. Most encounters involve buffing up with Strength and Life Blade and hunting down undead, and casting heal and static blade. Occasionally if I need more help, I use a summon monster spell to help out (usually to block passageways, such as in RD).

I was wondering, are there any other staves besides Heavy Staff, Staff, and Quarterstaff? I've been finding that the Quarterstaff is amazing since it strikes extremely fast and decently hard. Also, what skills should I be training? Currently I have 7 Staff Weapon and 3 Strength. Do I need more Strength or any other skill?

Magic-wise, I can't decide with what to do with it. I don't want to throw Fire or Water into the mix (I accept the fact that I may not be able to do high-end stuff), but I can't decide if I want to go Life/Earth or just Life. Currently 6 Life for better summon monster, but should I pour skill points into Earth to pump up my Strength spell? Should I get more Enchantment to make the Blade and Strength spells cheaper? Or should I pursue a Conjuror-esque or Paladin-esque type of character?

Skillwise:
7 Staff
6 Life
3 Strength
3 Lore
1 Incantation
1 Enchantment
1 Meditation
1 Dodge, 1 Conjuration (Accidental trainings. Mistakened the trainers)

Should I throw Find Weakness in there? Should I train into Earth since I wanted to make a Staff/Earth character? What spells would I use and would help? Also, does Slow effect monster attack speed, or movement only?

I know, lots of questions, but I'm just looking for some planning help. Anyway, enjoy!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM

maahes has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This is simply going to be hard. Both Staff and Earth are pretty subpar as far as skills go. There are few staff weapons in the game and all of them are pretty weak, and Earth magic just has few useful spells (with the exception of the Strength spell).

You can probably pull off a build that focuses on these, but you're going to need to be very smart and efficient with your skill points. And you're going to need to make sure that your character has:

I: Survivability, both in terms of healing and general toughness
II: Some damage capability, either in the form of melee, or summons, or magic spells (or a combination of these).

The first thing I'll suggest is training your Life Magic pretty high, because it will save your character from a hundred kinds of nasty deaths, by allowing you to heal yourself efficiently, cast powerful resistance spells (which you will need), and, at 18 skill, create very powerful and nasty summoned creatures called ghasts.

And since you'll be splitting your skill points between a lot of things (strength, staff, earth, life, lore, meditation, probably more) you should learn to be creative with items that give skill bonuses. Instead of training your Earth Magic skill all the way to the max, for example, stop three points short of the maximum and instead equip two rings of earth magic and an amulet of earth magic just before you cast spells that depend on it. The same goes for Life Magic and your resistance spells.

Here is a possible build for you for level 10:

Earth Magic: 10 (7 from training, but functionally 10 by item swapping)
Life Magic: 10 (7 from training, but 10 by item swapping)
Meditation: 8 (8 from training)
Lore: 4 (4 from training)
Staff: 10 (10 from training)
Incantation: 1 (1 from training)
Enchantment: 1 (1 from training)
Strength: 10 (2 from training, 8 from Strength spell)

Which gives us a pretty decent low level character with good heals, mana regeneration, resistances, and melee combat. One interesting thing about this build is that people will LOVE partying with you because you can share your resistance and strength buffs with them.

At level 18, you could consider dropping all of your melee skills for magical skills and become a pure mage, relying on summons (using the Create Monster spell) to do your dirty work. Alternately you could keep doing your thing in melee, both should work.

I have to say though that staffs are just about the worst weapon type in the game, and you'd be much better off with swords or clubs. However, if you really like the idea of a staff wielding earth wizard, you can probably pull it off, although with extra difficulty.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Ya, I figured it would be tough. The only thing that seems different from Wyvern coming back is the healing nerf.

And, I don't mind that it may not be going far. Just having fun experimenting, but thanks for the outlook. I'll see how it works out.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

two words. staff smith.

you'll rule wyvern...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Tudwal has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Sorry to dredge up an ancient post, but how did this build go for you, Matalino? I'm starting a similar character (except with 15 Fire thrown in), and would be interested in what happened.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 AM

Hey sorry for bringing up an old topic. I just thought that I should return the answer and provide any other helpful ideas to everyone else.

Mine is currently still in the works. From the last time I played him (which has been awhile, its been a busy year), he's gained 3 levels. So far I've been running through the pirate's cave gathering junk and selling it.

Some realizations:
1) Get Merchant skill. I've heard good things about getting this and I think I'll give it a try. Its not fun making under 1k per gathering run with so many items and skills to train.

2) While strength is good, if you're gathering small items, you will most likely run out of space before you reach the first step of encumbered. The strength spell is very nice, but sometimes the issue has been reaching the item limit as opposed to being stuck. I still don't know how much strength affects damage.

3) Having life means that you're practically a summoner. Since they're is no attack spell above Sandstorm and below the Petrify, you're a meleer with summons.

4) I've yet to fool around with the changes to healing. One thing that has popped into my mind is the importance of Fortress and even using Create Dirt Wall. Anything that can now create barriers or impediments to monsters seems like a brilliant idea to heal and even protect oneself from spells. Also, does anyone know if healing gets interrupted if your attacked or if the target is? If latter, block the place with a summon and a fortress, then spam heal your monster or group member?

5) I'm currently trying to figure out what else to use my Lore points on. I haven't grabbed as many resist spells, though that can be a good idea. As far as spells other than healing and summoning, I find Light to be nice to have, especially mixed with glowstones or lanterns. I rarely fight undead as often, so I don't use Lifeblade as much. I'm not sure if it really does anything anyway.

6) As far as Earth spells go. I've been thinking to be functional, Summon Monster is best bet, but requires more life. To be more thematic, I want to use Summon Golem for fun, but I don't know how well that would work.

7) Anyone know how effective using Imprison and how increasing Earth affects it? If it makes stronger dirt walls, I can see how an Earth mage will excel at creating choke points for you and a summon to fight.

Overall. There's been some struggles. One, not having any higher selection of weapons is frustrating. Two, grinding out money and grinding out exp. Finding those locations are hard especially since I find it easy going to the wrong place, getting crushed, and being set back tons of exp. If you're going to do Fire instead of Earth or Life, you're in for a good deal. Earth is practically buffing, early evocation, though there are some fun other spells that I've yet to try out.

In terms of spellcasting. There's not much except buff, summon (hmm, can summon's be buffed?), and find/create choke points. Run away to heal and return to the fray. If you have Fire, then you have the bonus of having a strong Fire Blade and fun firey infernos to chuck around. If you wanted, summons to boot too.

So, I think you'll probably have a good time with yours. Since the summer is approaching, I'll probably be having fun trying mine. Otherwise, I'm trying to explore the world with a human Water/Air mage just to see what else there is and come up with ideas for places to level the Earth/Life/Staffer.

Anyway, hopefully this is an intriguing read and found useful.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Suggestion for both of you, join the mages guild, since you're both using staffs and staffs where left out the nerf for meleeing mages. And then make use of the mage-only staffs like staff of life/fire/earth/etc. You'll not only be getting a weapon, you'll also be getting a +2 in those magic skills you wanted, and can desperately use.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Hmmm, thats not a bad idea. I can definitely cut out all that meditation training that i've done so far.

But that means completing a quest...*sigh*.