Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 AM

Morphan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Crossfire?

Erm... Okay, I've heard about it in the forums here, but I don't know what it is... I've seen the website and I know it is a 2D game, and I've seen the graphics and compared to Wyvern, I am not impressed. But, what is Crossfire? What is the gameplay like? Is it worth trying?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Crossfire is a game which Rhialto played for a bit, and you can clearly see the influence it has had on wyvern.

I played it myself until the Old DX client didn't work anymore.
Here's what it looked like: http://crossfire.real-time.com/images/dxclient.gif

The problem is the person who made the DX client stopped working on it, and instead turned it into http://www.daimonin.org/ instead, which when I played it years ago, didn't really like. So over time the protocol of the crossfire servers changed, and the DX client basically died.

And to be honest, the official crossfire clients are things I can only describe with words I cannot use within this forum. Here's what it looks like: http://crossfire.real-time.com/scree.../win32_gtk.png

The is a fork of crossfire, which was originally called Crossfire+, but due to dumb internet drama changed to Deliantra, which is an entirely forgettable name and was a bad move. http://www.deliantra.net/

Deliantra's server is in my opinion superior to the original, because to be frank, the guy actually works on it and has clever ideas.

The client is not as insufferable as the Crossfire one, but still is not something I personally have fun playing with.

Your mileage will vary.

Crossfire has different game mechanics are far as moving and fighting go, as well as different ways of entering commands. It is not as ****ie friendly as wyvern is.

The general philosophy of the games are different as well. Wyvern leans heavily towards control, whereas Crossfire leans heavily towards do whatever. I remember back in the days when the original world map was still being used, players would all get together and have a great big server crashing party so we could duplicate items and generally have lulz all around. Eventually the server admin would go "oh you gaiz", and actually fix the bug, so we would have to try and find another one. Obviously, this would greatly depend on the server admin, as there are multiple servers. Crashing servers meant to be considered "stable" was bad taste, but on the bleeding edge of extreme development servers it was anything goes as long as you weren't a jerk and let people know well beforehand if it wasn't an accident (hence the "parties"). Though this was years ago, and could very well have changed a bit. It all depends on the server.

The concept of "balance" has moments where it is nodded at, but generally no one really cares.

Fun? You bet. At least while I could use my favorite client. There are a huge variety of maps, and crossfire is not nearly as much "you explore you WILL die" as wyvern is. There are lots of quests and things to do ingame.

Much like wyvern, you get used to the graphics, even as terrible as the actually are in crossfire.

If you have any other question, feel free to ask, but the last time I really played was a few years ago.

Last edited by Logwad : 05-27-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 PM

Which server is compatible with Vista Home Premium, in case I wish to try it?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphan View Post
Which server is compatible with Vista Home Premium, in case I wish to try it?
The only thing you really need to know about a specific operating system is whether it is 32 or 64 bit. 64 bit is usually compatible with all 32 bit programs, but sometimes there are problems. If you have a 64 bit OS, and a 64 bit version of the program you want is availible, then you should choose that one instead. Most windows programs are 32 bit if they unmarked.

The servers are here but you probably want the Client instead.

The specific client you want is here.

That's for the standard original crossfire. The server you want to connect to is crossfire.metalforge.net. That's the most popular one and is considered the "main" server.

If on the other hand you want to try the deliantra client instead, it can be found here: http://dist.schmorp.de/deliantra/deliantra.exe

And you'll want to connect to the schmorp.de server.

I'll mention this again, crossfire has a fairly large learning curve, especially compared to modern games.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Erm... I tried it. But, I can't see my character. I think this is because the screen is scrolled too high up while my character is a bit too low down. How do I fix this? The scrolly thing doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: Nvm. I worked it out.

Last edited by Morphan : 05-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.