Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Monsters don't have mana. They have a percentage of which they can cast a certain spell. For example, there could be a monster which has a 20% chance to cast one of 5 spells. So said monster can't cast a spell if the dice favors the 80% chance to cast nothing and when it favors the 20% it will pick which spell to cast at random. If you set it to 100% it will cast spells one right after another without ever breaking.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM

Moraath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

A bit off the topic, but how often are the virtual dice rolled?

I'm all for group spells, but the exp thing sounds a little silly, since you gain experience already from things that the people you're healing kill (I think).

As someone mentioned before, it's rather hard to think of balance properly when the game has been down for such a long amount of time, but that seems rather weak. With no training (though, of course, the person casting -would- have some) it heals five hitpoints for twenty mana? Bleuch, sounds like it would only be very useful with huge parties, and then even not so much, as not everyone is going to be damaged. Hurm.

However, I think the idea is awesome, and sounds feasible. Would it heal monsters in the area, too? That might not be such a great thing...
*Gets eaten by a very recently re-healed dragon*

Just A Thought...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 AM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

I'm pretty sure the virtual dice is rolled one after another. Just look at the will-o-wisp.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:58 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You need to remember, base mana cost is calculated by the lore level of the spell. If it cost 20mp to cast, it would have to be a lore level 2 spell, meaning a pixie could have it at level 1. I think that might be a bit soon to have such a cool spell, you need something to work towards when youre but a wee character!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 AM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Then again, that encourages low level grouping, which encourages making more friends, which forms a tighter-knit community!

Yaaaay?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narhalles View Post
something else that would greatly increase grouping is if the largest HP and Mana recovery potions only recovered 50. and if Elixers were either removed/had a different effect.

Along with the pot nerfing idea up there, implement a system where meleers (players with over 5 in any weapon (excluding ppl in rangers guild)) cannot train more than 5 in any art/element/lore/meditation. and any mages (same as above just reversed.) cannot train more than 5 in any weapon.
If these were implemented (in some form) Meelers could no longer spam heal. and could not use any spell over lore 5, and could not train past 5 any arts. (so healing spells cast by themselves would be next to useless.)

Narhalles - Rak Tiger - Cavies - level 22
Sihon - Stone Giant - Unguilded - level 21
LifeLine - Pixie Swords man - Unguilded - level 12
EgoMachine - Halfing Whipper - Unguilded - level 19
IC - Frost Giant - Unguilded - level 10
StaticS - Storm Giant - Unguilded - level 16
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 AM

Robbeh has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I like the idea of capping specialized characters but I am afraid for adventurers who require a little bit of everything to survive. Instead, those who spam heal usually do so because they have very specialized trained abilities, which can only be afforded after so-and-so level and with a big wad of cash, by then, they would be in whatever guild they desire.

So instead, I think a Lore 5 Cap would be required on those guilded melee warriors. This would encourage Adventurers to remain uniquely so and not hinder them in their already difficult place in the Wyvern society.

While mages mightn't invest skill points in any weapons, I feel it to be unnecessary to penalize them. I'm sure there can be some way to exploit the Mage Guild's benefits to create a Hybrid-mage melee warrior, but I don't see it being as effective as they would have to sacrifice a lot of SP to find a place for Incantation/Spirit to effectively employ Heal/Mana Shield whilst being effective close range. In any case, I feel a mage to appear rather naked not employing a nice hefty wooden staff. (Speaking of which, are there any plans to implement a more standard staff for us spellslingers to enjoy? Sell it in the Mage Guild Shop!)

Of course, there could be other possibilities. For instance, instead of weakening Life-based Incantation spells which Heal is based off, there could be a powerful melee-orientated spells for other guilds. Like a potent Mind-based spell which could entice Monks. Axemen could see increased use of their native abilities in the Axeman's Guild. Cavemen... could grunt loudly.

This way, those enjoying the benefits offered to them by their guilds will still see those benefits, but will be drawn to other spells more suited to their nature rather than dabbling into arts not designed for them.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Well Robbeh, just as a response to some ideas you werent certain of: there is a strong mage melee build. It uses magic whip! And its a blast. I do believe there were mage staffs introduced to the mage guild shop shortly before the server came down, but I dont think they were as good as some other items you can get through questing so they werent too popular.

I think it would make sense to limit certain abilities based on your guild. For a caveman to have extremely high lore seems a little... odd, considering its a guy who runs around bashing stuff with a club. Same as a mage with super human strength - excluding that from the strength spell of course, but thats magical strength... so its different.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Many spells that an Adventurer would use are lore 5 or less. Minor healing, medium healing, speed, flying, darksight I believe, all blade spells, magic wall(I think. can't check as I can't find the archive of chobochon.(sp?)) all bolt spells, some cone spells, etc. the biggest limiter is the cap of 5 in arts and elements. (which is the power of all wands, scrolls, and rods I think.)

something that would make magicians staffs popular is if you did the following to them.

1. The user that owns it can charge it with 1 spell
2. More charges can be added
3. each aditional charge over 1 has a slight chance of melting/exploding the staff.
4. If this staff is sold it loses all spells it was charged with.
5. to charge it you would only have to be able to cast the spell you want it charged with. (I.E. youwould type "Cast <Spells name here> on <Staffs name here>)
6. When you cast the spell on the staff it consumes the mp that the skill would require. However, you can recharge your mp back to full. (it is the same effect of casting it in a dungeon.)
7. The more powerful the spell, the fewer charges can be placed in the staff.

This would allow a mage to "store" a certain amount of charges of a preselected spell for use at a later date. so you could charge the staff with dragon breath and then use the staff to cast that, while you are casting healing on yourself, etc. this would give mages playability if cool down, or charge up times were used on spell, as the spells in the staff have already undergone the charge, or cool off, when the staff was charged.

Narhalles - Rak Tiger - Cavies - level 22
Sihon - Stone Giant - Unguilded - level 21
LifeLine - Pixie Swords man - Unguilded - level 12
EgoMachine - Halfing Whipper - Unguilded - level 19
IC - Frost Giant - Unguilded - level 10
StaticS - Storm Giant - Unguilded - level 16