Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Group Healing

I posted this Idea in the thread "Armor Sets for Wyvern." but no one seeems to have seen it after TheMadHobbo ond Arilou got into a "discussion." So Ill post it here.

Mage spell for incouraging grouping.

*ONLY WORKS ON PEOPLE IN YOUR GROUP!!!!*

This spell is like a shield spell only about the radius size of a Glowstone. When cast I drains the casters MP. Any group members in the area get a amount of HP restored. More HP gets restored the higher the casters Life skill, and the Higher the caster is in X other skill reduces the rate at which MP gets drained. THE CASTER DOES NOT RECIEVE HP FROM THIS SKILL! Instead, the caster recieves xp for each point of HP healed on group members.

Please post constructive critisism only (I.E. How to improve this idea.) and try to stay on topic.

Narhalles - Rak Tiger - Cavies - level 22
Sihon - Stone Giant - Unguilded - level 21
LifeLine - Pixie Swords man - Unguilded - level 12
EgoMachine - Halfing Whipper - Unguilded - level 19
IC - Frost Giant - Unguilded - level 10
StaticS - Storm Giant - Unguilded - level 16
Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

There's currently a monster only spell which does basically the same thing - It's called Heal Wave. Why is it not a player spell? Well none of Janica's spells were turned into player spells. Why weren't they? *shrugs* Go ask Rhialto.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 AM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Does the Insanity spell happen to be janica's? >.>.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narhalles View Post
... THE CASTER DOES NOT RECIEVE HP FROM THIS SKILL! Instead, the caster recieves xp for each point of HP healed on group members...
In general I've found in most games that getting xp from healing people is very abusable, if it is not very carefully done (only good ways I have seen require different game mechanics than wyvern currently has in order to work).

That's why being in a group is good, as you still get xp from monsters that are vanquished. And if you are a spellcaster, it is to your bonus to let the meatshields do the work anyway. You gain free xp from them, all you need to do is not die and use you mp.

I think this works pretty well with wyvern.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

yeah I think a group healing spell that just lets you have your share of xp from the offensive characters is pretty sweet. That could be an introduction for a healing class of character. Maybe pallies who dont spam heal?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
In general I've found in most games that getting xp from healing people is very abusable, if it is not very carefully done (only good ways I have seen require different game mechanics than wyvern currently has in order to work).
if it were to give xp for healing it would have to be for actually healing somebody....not just sitting there casting the spell over and over for free xp.....
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 AM

WyvernXa has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
if it were to give xp for healing it would have to be for actually healing somebody....not just sitting there casting the spell over and over for free xp.....
That's pretty good. Then just get a stone giant with massive HP, wielding an ember dagger, go at a fire shoggoth with no fire resists. Heal away.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 AM

I think giving xp for casting a spell would turn out to be a bad idea... maybe giving pallies guild xp, but I dont think you should level up by healing someone.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Theres no point in getting xp for healing people. The charcter would already be getting xp for kills anyway. Its like saying a meleer should get xp for every successsful damage done to a monster.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Valdor the Great has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Valdor the Great

Ok, final conclusion to this topic.

A level 7 you found on New Verden Road could come up with a better idea.

That level 7 is also blind mind you...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM

thats a bit harsh, we were just saying it would be bad to get xp for healing. A group healing spell would be totally awesome, just not such easy xp...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyvernXa View Post
That's pretty good. Then just get a stone giant with massive HP, wielding an ember dagger, go at a fire shoggoth with no fire resists. Heal away.
That still wouldnt work well, judging from the amount of mana needed for the spell you would run out of mana in less than 30 seconds, even a a stoney with massive hp, would almost be dieing from shoggy recoil with no resists.......

besides that, the fact that the xp you'd be getting from it would be peanuts compared to just following a group around.....
Old 07-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
That still wouldnt work well, judging from the amount of mana needed for the spell you would run out of mana in less than 30 seconds, even a a stoney with massive hp, would almost be dieing from shoggy recoil with no resists.......

besides that, the fact that the xp you'd be getting from it would be peanuts compared to just following a group around.....
A high-enough level pixie has massive amounts of mana. People who wanted to abuse the group heal spell, they would purchase a few elixirs to make the exp flowing last even longer. And no, a stonie would not be dieing from a shoggy because the stonie attacks too slow for the attacks to be so lethal.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Player Mod

Have you ever played as a stoney? Recoil from fire shoggs hurts alot.....and I dont think anyone would be will to waste money on elixers to get such a small amount of xp....we aren't talking thousands of xp....we're talk small amounts that in total wouldnt add up to much.......
Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Have you ever played as a stoney? Recoil from fire shoggs hurts alot.....
Yes, I had a level 25 stone giant caveman and shoggies did not do much damage because of my slow attack speed.

Quote:
we aren't talking thousands of xp....we're talk small amounts that in total wouldnt add up to much.......
Thank you, that's very specific.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:47 PM

If there were a group healing spell it should be unaffected by the arts so you couldnt spam it. If it cost like 120mp you wouldnt be able to cast it very fast at all, and it would reduce your offensive magic because your mp was low.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
we aren't talking thousands of xp....we're talk small amounts that in total wouldnt add up to much.......
Then what's the point of having xp at all?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhobo View Post
If there were a group healing spell it should be unaffected by the arts so you couldnt spam it. If it cost like 120mp you wouldnt be able to cast it very fast at all, and it would reduce your offensive magic because your mp was low.
Isn't it kind of hard to come up with proper balance blindly in a forum while the game has been down for months? Your idea could be the perfect solution, but in general I would never trust the player of a game I made to come up with balance. I would add something and follow people around to see how attractive and abusable it is, and adjust accordingly. Or search through the various data I collect.

This goes for everyone throwing out ideas on how to make it balanced. Sure we can all agree we want something like this, but has anyone done as Arilou said and asked Rhialto about why he hasn't added it yet? It could very well be he hasn't gotten around to it, but I would wager that the game would be shifted in a way that Rhialto doesn't feel the game is ready for (ei: some things need to be fixed first).

And don't hold your breath about changing the element/art for every spell paradigm.

Balance is a funny thing. If you base one balance off of another imbalance, then once you fix that imbalance the thing that was "balanced" can be greatly affected.

A solution for spamming spells(and pots) must first be implemented.

Last edited by Logwad : 07-15-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 PM

I think players are the perfect people to listen to in order to balance a game! Of course, everything they say needs to be taken with a grain of salt because sometimes it might just be something like "I wish fireball did 1000 damage per hit because then I could fight aquator all day long and never die!"
Plus, programming a massive project can get boring if you work on the same part of it too much all at once, particularly if you dont have a team to help out and encourage you. I dont think we should assume any one thing will be worked on/finished before anything else, simply based on the fact that maybe someday, something on this forum will pop up that looks like a lot of fun to create and it will simply get done. Maybe not this thread, maybe not the next one, but Im sure eventually as players spit out ideas at least one will be good enough to get bumped up near the top of the To Do list.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

my Idea was sort of llike the following

You cast the spell for 20 MP

every tick it takes 20 MP and turns that into 5 HP on all nearby party members. IF said members are down HP of course. Caster then gets 1 XP per HP point healed on team members.

the spell runs until you either dispell it, or you run out of MP. (every other level in the art reduces MP per tick by 1. Every other level of life magic increases damage healed by 1. min amount of MP per tick in 10, max healing per tick is 15. so with 20 in art and 20 in life magic you would be maxed out.)

something else that would greatly increase grouping is if the largest HP and Mana recovery potions only recovered 50. and if Elixers were either removed/had a different effect.

Do monsters have Mana? If they do an interesting spell would be a "Mind Duel" spell where you cast it on a monster and your minds duel. the winner recieve half the losers MP and gains control (breifly) of the monster (like the charm spell).

Along with the pot nerfing idea up there, implement a system where meleers (players with over 5 in any weapon (excluding ppl in rangers guild)) cannot train more than 5 in any art/element/lore/meditation. and any mages (same as above just reversed.) cannot train more than 5 in any weapon.

Narhalles - Rak Tiger - Cavies - level 22
Sihon - Stone Giant - Unguilded - level 21
LifeLine - Pixie Swords man - Unguilded - level 12
EgoMachine - Halfing Whipper - Unguilded - level 19
IC - Frost Giant - Unguilded - level 10
StaticS - Storm Giant - Unguilded - level 16