Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't think it's so much as loss of interest, but with all of the problems it's been having recently, R probably became overwhelmed and doesn't have the time to keep maintaining the game.

I think if he can fix the server and find a new place to host where the ISP isn't crazy and the game isn't having the same problems (basically setting the game up and leaving it there for however long without any problems) then we may be able to get something. If however the game becomes more of a chore, then I doubt Rhialto will want to keep up with it.

Plus if Tesh and Arilou are no longer active, then there will not be any more arch wizards left to help make progress to the game.

It's worth a shot though. To my email!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
Plus if Tesh and Arilou are no longer active, then there will not be any more arch wizards left to help make progress to the game.

It's worth a shot though. To my email!
Teshuvah and Arilou have kept the game running for years without any active arch wizards. And new ones are easily promoted, the hard part will be finding people that are as dedicated as they are (were) to keep things running.

I know that I lost interest in playing the game when I became a wizard, just because I had too much information, it took the magic away.

*gazes at loads of half finished maps and sighs*
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

I am really interested at the fact that Rhialto said that he has thoughts about open sourcing the game.... Would be pretty interesting,but wyvern it self dows not have a good player base as it used too... so it might be a bad idea.

Would love it if Wyvern was a community involved initiative, the server would be community funded. Active development, and many other goodies...
Wyvern has potential

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Opensourcing the game completely would 'break' it in terms of balance. Have you ever played Crossfire? Everything in that game is extremely unbalanced, it's still fun to an extent, but unbalanced. The system wyvern had with 'controlled' community involvement in the form of wizards was a good one, you just need motivated people who are willing to work to improve the game, and because There are guidelines to how things should be, you didn't see horrible unbalancing(in the later days). Giving players control over what to make in the game is a terrible idea, Zoos would come back all over the place, weapons and armour that are horribly overpowered would get made, there'd be waaay too much loot.

A community involved game is a nice thought, but it still needs to be moderated or it just becomes a mess.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Rakunta has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Eh, Saving Wyvern is a nice thought and all. I do believe that preserving it for future people and past people to enjoy is a nice thought, too.

Though having said that, a lot of people have moved on. It is nice to come back to it every now and then, but I can't even imagine the huge burden it puts on the wizzies, especially Tesh and Arilou, on maintaining this beast. If its truly dead, then we will always have our memories of it. If it shall rise again, more power to R, Tesh, Arilou, the other wizzies, and even the players that help bring it back.

I support what you are doing, though I won't be joining you in this fight.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I'd go in for around ~$400-500. But as other people have mentioned I don't think money is the issue here. R lost interest in his game a long time ago and hasn't been actively involved for awhile. It's sad to say, but it was bound to happen eventually.
With his loss of interest in the game I'm surprised it stayed up as long as it did. Also, I'm surprised it even came back up after that long hiatus. It very well might come back up if money is not the issue. The game netted him a $10,000 prize in the past, so he might still have some future use for it. A sort of guinea pig for testing, if you would.

However I would say it will take months if the game is going to come back up. He has more important matters that eat up his time after all.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 PM

blazerv has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Anyone own a server box and has a hosting plan with a web company? :P
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I am definitely in. I am busy with work and such lately so might not have time to dig for his email much but if someone gets in contact with him and confirms that our donations will be put to use and get us wyvern back then I will donate as much as I can and still operate normally with my finances.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerv View Post
Anyone own a server box and has a hosting plan with a web company? :P
My parents have a server in their office building and their own website I believe >_> lol.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Faelivrin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I'd go in for around ~$400-500
That's what I'd be willing to spend to keep my favorite RPG around.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If money would help, i'd be willing to hop onto that wagon. I think that, eventually it'll come back. But, it's not like I haven't been wrong before. So if it doesn't, or it doesn't come back for a long while.. Feel free to come socialize while trashing kids on xbox live, it's quite an entertaining experience with Wyvernites.

If money was absolutely necessary i'd even go as far as to give a percentage of income, say on a monthly basis. If it would really help.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM

darthsuegar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I sent him an email, I hope that I had the right address. I don't have the ability to donate right now, but I would love to see Wyvern come back up.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Is there anyway we can see how much it costs to run the wyvern server for a year from the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
Opensourcing the game completely would 'break' it in terms of balance. Have you ever played Crossfire? Everything in that game is extremely unbalanced, it's still fun to an extent, but unbalanced. The system wyvern had with 'controlled' community involvement in the form of wizards was a good one, you just need motivated people who are willing to work to improve the game, and because There are guidelines to how things should be, you didn't see horrible unbalancing(in the later days). Giving players control over what to make in the game is a terrible idea, Zoos would come back all over the place, weapons and armour that are horribly overpowered would get made, there'd be waaay too much loot.

A community involved game is a nice thought, but it still needs to be moderated or it just becomes a mess.
I did play Crossfire, I know what you mean. I used to summon devils, and kill them... man it was unbalanced alright 0_0.

Open source has its merits though, but what Wyvern needs right now is a nice dedicated server with no connection problems. This will really depend on Tesh and Arilou I believe..

Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Player Mod

binsenkind has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

i was in a similar situation some years ago when my favourite forum and chat was about being closed. it was such a nice community, i found so many friends, so i asked to adopt the child and now i´m running the server myself in my home.
problem is, i think, money, time and skill.
if r. is about giving the game away as open source, that would be great, but who has the time and the skill to keep it running ?
i mean... most of the code is rhialtos and working with other ppls code is no fun at all, i´m glad i have my forum running and there is no need to change anything, cause it´s so much time-consuming even making minimal changes on your own.
i mean... unless we get some kind of real organisated crew who is willing to spend time, skill and money it will be hard.
and money is the smallest problem.
it wouldn´t solve the problem if one wizard or person will do that now, cause he´s a human, too... he maybe has a family, a life, a job and thousands of things that could happen.

even if i only stood in auction hall from time to time this is a sad moment.

cheers

hail to the king, baby
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 AM

Well, I am working on my own game. But Wyvern has given me some inspiration, and let me tell you,Wyvern has the potential to be a really good game. Take a look at Angry Birds for instance, or even Minecraft and etc.

Its all about planning and predicting trends and making a game that is enjoyable to play and have fun on. I certainly will work on my game with the intention of it being great.

Its about the people, and them stepping up. If this keeps up, Wyvern will be in the dust, forever.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 AM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Unhappy

Guys, I may not have been around for the last downtime but from what I've heard it took a long time to get back up and running. But I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach, the feeling isn't pleasing. I think Wyvern is on its death bed. It's time of death just hasn't been confirmed....

And its not that I don't want Wyvern to come back but, really, think about it. R probably has better things to do than tend to a old game (I wish he didn't). It just looks grim, really when was the last major update by R? Or when has he last even logged in? I think I'm going to retire from the forums for awhile, by this I mean no more posting. I'll still check into to see if the game does come back and see what you all are saying. But still, Wyvern is like everything great, It must have a fall.

Last edited by felorn : 10-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by felorn View Post
really when was the last major update by R? Or when has he last even logged in?
Technically, the last update was made by him since he told us to post an announcement that the server would "temporarily" be down. I'd consider that pretty major. Also, he wrote a rather lengthy bit about Wyvern's future (heh) for the anniversary news on February 4th. He even made an appearance in-game that day (as I recall, people were bothering him for autographs).

Not that this makes any difference in regards to Rhialto's plans or lack thereof. Just answering easy questions and then slipping out [so I can get back to nuzzling all the cute little players].
Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You know, there's a really simple solution to this whole situation. Everyone just give up on Wyvern, and play D&D instead. It's not perfect, but throwing pebbles that turn into boulders and turning people into green slime with a save-or-die permanent polymorph spell.. Well, that's fun.

And then, here's the brilliant part!

We storm Rhialto's house and demand he be the Dungeon Master. He'll get back to work on Wyvern so fast, why, it'll be up yesterday! Literally!

(Attention Children: This is what a combination of sleep deprivation and reading too many D&D supplements in one sitting will do to you. Stay in school, do your homework, and always rememeber - SAY NO TO DICE!)

This post was brought to you courtesy of a crazed gamer who, out of some weird, demented sense of humour decided it'd be a good thing to do. Always remember, when a Mad Wizard starts nuzzling you - it's already too late.

*The DM assigns Kama an alignment of Chaotic Evil in light of recent events*

In all seriousness, I will be greatly saddened if Wyvern does not return, as I'm sure most of us will. To me, in the last 10 years it's gone from the status of a 'great' game, to absolutely amazing. Wyvern combines some of the best elements of text, graphical, and tabletop RPGs into one wonderful, immersive (read: also addicting) game. It's potential seems limitless, and I think (and hope) Rhialto feels the same way. The unfortunate truth is that maintaining something like Wyvern does take a great deal of time, effort and finances, and I only hope that R continues to let the game develop, blossom and grow despite those factors.

If there's anything we can do, I hope he lets us know. I'm willing to help in any way I can, even if it takes time to get Wyvern back online.

It's worth it.

Last edited by Kama : 10-14-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
You know, there's a really simple solution to this whole situation. Everyone just give up on Wyvern, and play D&D instead. It's not perfect, but throwing pebbles that turn into boulders and turning people into green slime with a save-or-die permanent polymorph spell.. Well, that's fun.

And then, here's the brilliant part!

We storm Rhialto's house and demand he be the Dungeon Master. He'll get back to work on Wyvern so fast, why, it'll be up yesterday! Literally!

(Attention Children: This is what a combination of sleep deprivation and reading too many D&D supplements in one sitting will do to you. Stay in school, do your homework, and always rememeber - SAY NO TO DICE!)

This post was brought to you courtesy of a crazed gamer who, out of some weird, demented sense of humour decided it'd be a good thing to do. Always remember, when a Mad Wizard starts nuzzling you - it's already too late.

*The DM assigns Kama an alignment of Chaotic Evil in light of recent events*

In all seriousness, I will be greatly saddened if Wyvern does not return, as I'm sure most of us will. To me, in the last 10 years it's gone from the status of a 'great' game, to absolutely amazing. Wyvern combines some of the best elements of text, graphical, and tabletop RPGs into one wonderful, immersive (read: also addicting) game. It's potential seems limitless, and I think (and hope) Rhialto feels the same way. The unfortunate truth is that maintaining something like Wyvern does take a great deal of time, effort and finances, and I only hope that R continues to let the game develop, blossom and grow despite those factors.

If there's anything we can do, I hope he lets us know. I'm willing to help in any way I can, even if it takes time to get Wyvern back online.

It's worth it.
Yay D&D! It gives such wonderful ideas.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Smile Guys

I know a lot of you hate me(Which I really don't care lol)
But if you lose money from it make a Donate button(I know of a lot of people that would donate in return for being able to play some people actually pay like $40 a month or more) and make it so you still have all the normal stuff in Wyvern but you can also buy things.... One of the best ways is to be able to buy items if your to lazy to find them or you're just to low of a level and wanna make some gold or something...... Yup.... Thats my Suggestion and don't bother making complaints about my bad grammar or whatever im much better then a lot of idiot tht tlk lik tis....

P.S I know for sure some of these ideas are really popular in a bunch of games. And is Wyvern really coming back in a month?