Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
I'm well aware of Rhialto's work habits and wyvern's history. But at the end of the day, there is no deserved entitlement for the players. If he gets it up, great! If he doesn't, then life goes on. Making comments on what he does isn't the way to do things. Everyone need's leisure. Saying he now gets 20% of his time from google to work on it won't really speed it up that much. The fact that he's now trying make it part of his work at google will also include paperwork and testing. It will be up when it's up, so just have a little patience.
How should that not speed it up much? It's a sheer matter of accountability. If R says he's going to do something (for example, give weekly updates and aim to bring the game back up by Fall 2013), I feel we as his potential player-base should be challenging him to keep his promises.

Yes, everyone needs leisure. Yes, everyone needs a little patience. Please, Clubbz, can you define how much patience we should have and how much leisure R needs? We are still around waiting for a game that has been down for nearly TWO AND A HALF YEARS. Not weeks, not months, years. It's absolutely incredible that we have this many people still around.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I lumped it together for two reasons. The first being that I was in a rush when I typed it. The second being that I would have spaced it out a little but not much, because the little blurb was intended for the complaints as a whole.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Saying he now gets 20% of his time from google to work on it won't really speed it up that much. The fact that he's now trying make it part of his work at google will also include paperwork and testing. It will be up when it's up, so just have a little patience.
You realize that you basically said that they did. He has all this time in the past month or more and he's has one line of the web page done (no paperwork or testing), right?

On a more upbeat note,
What are the current odds on an update this week after none the past 2 weeks?

Valkon took a hefty prize for winning last time lol
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The problem is people talking as though he owes it to the playerbase to get it up and provide updates and feedback about the progress. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but the general attitude of 'complain until he does something' is irritating.

Yes, it's been down a long time, but none of you can honestly say you know every aspect of his work and personal life to know what he's really been doing. He may have been slacking off and loafing around, or he may have been legitemately busy. The fact that he has his youtube videos means little, as it's just a small portion of his time.

Just take a deep breath and be patient.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
The problem is people talking as though he owes it to the playerbase to get it up and provide updates and feedback about the progress. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but the general attitude of 'complain until he does something' is irritating.

Yes, it's been down a long time, but none of you can honestly say you know every aspect of his work and personal life to know what he's really been doing. He may have been slacking off and loafing around, or he may have been legitemately busy. The fact that he has his youtube videos means little, as it's just a small portion of his time.

Just take a deep breath and be patient.
It's not "complain until he does something" it's "don't pat him on the back for nothing" as well as "don't let him forget we are here waiting". I doubt he would have brought Wyvern back up after the first downtime if he wasn't given a push. You have yet to add logical contributions to this subject to where it has become an argument over some minor rants about the current state of the game and over some minor rants about Rhialto's poor time estimations. I'm guessing that this talk of entitlement is just parroting recently heard media on the "entitlement generation", it's a poor argument in this context. I would add a Horn O' Plenty of evidence to this post but why bother since you dismiss it as trivial. In the end, there was no defense needed on Rhialto's behalf since there was no insult. I'm done with the matter so please forward all messages to my secretary, Berney:
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
It's not "complain until he does something" it's "don't pat him on the back for nothing" as well as "don't let him forget we are here waiting". I doubt he would have brought Wyvern back up after the first downtime if he wasn't given a push. You have yet to add logical contributions to this subject to where it has become an argument over some minor rants about the current state of the game and over some minor rants about Rhialto's poor time estimations. I'm guessing that this talk of entitlement is just parroting recently heard media on the "entitlement generation", it's a poor argument in this context. I would add a Horn O' Plenty of evidence to this post but why bother since you dismiss it as trivial. In the end, there was no defense needed on Rhialto's behalf since there was no insult. I'm done with the matter so please forward all messages to my secretary, Berney:
Lol, I can't even read this because I'm too busy staring at the image.

Btw, if I had a dime for every time we all had this argument over Rhialto's status as God of Wyvern, blasphemous vs. loyal (not the word I'm looking for, but it'll fit well enough), I'd have like, at least forty dimes. But seriously, we've had this same argument a dozen times, some of you think being patient is good and that he'll bring it back eventually. Some of you are impatient and want him to bring it back now. But, like a select few have been saying this whole time, I don't think it's about patience or impatience, it's really about whether he will actually do it.

He hasn't done a weekly update now for what, 3 weeks? 4? If he's not even doing weekly updates on the Reddit (takes what, a minute or two at the beginning of each week? So much for 20% of a workday), he hasn't updated the website since the last weekly update. I don't frequent the Reddit, but has his presence been felt since the last weekly update?

I'm sure he has good intentions, but I feel like he was just trying to get us off his back when he started up all that new stuff, just for it to fizzle out due to time constraints. However, we have to consider a couple things. Developing a full website takes time, especially re-developing the Wyvern website of yesteryear, with all of its content, will take a while. I'm sure a select few of us are also aware of how long game development really takes. I cannot even imagine the state of things in terms of the actual game, which needs to have a lot of bug fixes before it can go back online, aye? These things take a looong time. The information age is about instantiation, which is a perspective of a naive consumer.

Having this argument over and over again does not solve these problems. I understand sitting around and waiting is basically what I'm doing, but I'm not trying to pedal patience, nor am I saying it's good to be impatient, however, we need to stop fighting in long, drawn out posts about dispositions and just consider what R will or will not do, and how long it would take if he did it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Weezerd

Contrare has disabled reputation

Silly, Silly Players! R has always worked on his own schedule and I don't remember any time estimate he provided being anywhere near accurate. But neither do the rest of us: I mentioned making a video of me playing Wyvern...which I did, but haven't had the inclination to edit it and post it.

As to bug fixes: There is only one bug that would prevent the server from being put up and it is in the client and is a java 1.6 incompatibility.

As to actually putting up in the google app server: Requires a complete rewrite of the core server pieces. Read weeks of solid work @ best 20% time = months and then fact R time estimates...

How about a nice game of tic-tac-toe?

Contrare
Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrare View Post
Silly, Silly Players! R has always worked on his own schedule and I don't remember any time estimate he provided being anywhere near accurate. But neither do the rest of us: I mentioned making a video of me playing Wyvern...which I did, but haven't had the inclination to edit it and post it.

As to bug fixes: There is only one bug that would prevent the server from being put up and it is in the client and is a java 1.6 incompatibility.

As to actually putting up in the google app server: Requires a complete rewrite of the core server pieces. Read weeks of solid work @ best 20% time = months and then fact R time estimates...

Contrare
We. Need. You.

Contrare for Core Developer

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
We. Need. You.

Hear Hear!! HEAR HEAR!!

Quote:

Contrare
*holds up the "WE TOLD YOU SO!" Sign....*
Old 05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Unhappy

Quote:

Contrare
No wargames?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Coffee Mug

Quote:
As to bug fixes: There is only one bug that would prevent the server from being put up and it is in the client and is a java 1.6 incompatibility

I guess I just made the foolish assumption that things others said in various threads were accurate. ^_^; I believe at one point, R also said he needed to apply a bunch of bug-fixes to make the game stable, but I could have read that in a player's post or dreamed it, neither would surprise me, though.

I shall be X! The winning algorithm is easy to apply if one goes first, so I shall allow you the honor of letting me go first!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Weezerd

Contrare has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
We. Need. You.

True. Wyvern needs me. But R doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Hear Hear!! HEAR HEAR!!
Eh? Hear what? I didn't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
No wargames?
Installing upgrade for Global Thermal Nuclear War, please wait...