Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

"nobody said it's not possible for you to program"...this made laugh so hard...you guys very, very heavily implied that it would not be possible for me to learn how to program now, or ever.

And I would do that Pizza partay, but for all I know you live in China
Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

*rubs forehead* Nobody said or implied that you could never learn to code. Everyone was talking about how you could not learn to code at the level that would be required to do what you seemed to be saying you were doing at your age. If you think otherwise, you are mistaken and might want to go back and actually read some of those posts that you glossed over. For example, that quote I just gave you in my previous reply is one of the first things I said to you on this topic and it very clearly stated that it was fine to work toward game design, but you needed to be aware that it was something that would require years and years of work on your part.

Here is the quote one more time: "If game creation is really something that interests you, that's fine to pursue. Just be prepared for years and years of hard work before you get the kind of validation you seek and understand that maybe it won't work out for you."

After you admitted that you did not read most of that post, my replies became snarky and sarcastic because you clearly weren't listening anyway. But I did make further references to this, such as when I talked about how people who code their own games from scratch tend to be those who have a college/professional level understanding of mathematics and computer programming. I did not say things like that to imply that you could never be at that level. Rather, I was very clearly (to everyone but you) simply making the point that you were not there right then.

After some more teeth pulling you eventually admitted that you were, indeed, not programming a game from scratch (despite arguing with people about how they didn't know you whenever they said you were) but just playing around with Game Maker, which is believable that you're doing at your age. However, you persist in trying to claim that it is accurate for you to say you are "making your own game" and refuse to accept that the reason people have not believed you is because you were (and persist in) misrepresenting what you are actually doing.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Few years down the road you'll grow up and come back and face palm at some of the things you write.
Ain't that the truth..

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how to take that.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Back in Mother Russia, pizza parties you.

But yes. If Josiah makes a game that I find remotely comparable to Wyvern, then I will host a pizza party. You just need to find where I'm hosting it.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:01 AM

So I doubt most of you care either way, but first of all, I'm not going to be sued for taking some of the colors from say, your grass sprites am I?

And second, I started using Eclipse, too... I think I'll use my early versions on Gamemaker as 'prototypes'. Anyways, Clubbz, I was wondering, is there any programming of any kind (even if considered not real programming) in RPG Maker VX?

And Arilou, people making games a college/professional level understanding of computer programming... My brother made a game from scratch, when he was about the age I am, but then stopped at about the time when he started College, and eventually took up programming as a career, I'd say that gives me a pretty reason to at least start with Gamemaker(like he did), without being made fun of for it?
Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
And second, I started using Eclipse, too... I think I'll use my early versions on Gamemaker as 'prototypes'. Anyways, Clubbz, I was wondering, is there any programming of any kind (even if considered not real programming) in RPG Maker VX?
There's scripting in Ruby, but as the same with any game making program, scripting =/= actual coding. It's a lot easier to write one script here and there than it is to actually code something from scratch.

Quote:
And Arilou, people making games a college/professional level understanding of computer programming... My brother made a game from scratch, when he was about the age I am, but then stopped at about the time when he started College, and eventually took up programming as a career, I'd say that gives me a pretty reason to at least start with Gamemaker(like he did), without being made fun of for it?
This just leads into the point that you can't understand anything but your own ideas. You don't even understand why people respond to you the way they do here. It has nothing to do with the fact that your using something like game maker. It's the way you post, going on and on about how you're programming your own game, and you're an experienced coder, and all your posts about all the progress you were making in your game. It's also the way you react to anything that doesn't coincide with your own views and opinions. You either outright ignore it, or you immediately jump on the defensive. If you would have originally come to the forums and said something like:

"Hey guys, I really loved wyvern and am currently working on a project in gamemaker that is similar to wyvern and would like feedback on my ideas."

If you had originally started your rants about making a game like that, you would have received much more support and actual positive responses. But no, you came in like you knew everything there was to know and wouldn't listen to anything anyone else said, which is why it boiled down to the kind of responses and reactions you get now.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Quote:
I'd say that gives me a pretty reason to at least start with Gamemaker(like he did), without being made fun of for it?
History is full of people who made the best decision possible under their given circumstances. Who made all the right decisions. Who are, then and today, still criticized, and often mocked for those decisions.

Human nature is one of contempt, disdain, and pettiness. So no, nothing you do, now or ever, gives you the right to not be made fun of. The only thing you can do is ignore it, and live your life however you want.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
And Arilou, people making games a college/professional level understanding of computer programming... My brother made a game from scratch, when he was about the age I am, but then stopped at about the time when he started College, and eventually took up programming as a career,
First of all, you are not your brother. As such, what he has or has not accomplished is irrelevant to your situation. Second of all, here you say he made a game from scratch and below you said he started with Game Maker. Which is it? I've explained to you multiple times that "making a game from scratch" means writing all of the code that makes it work from the ground up. Since Game Maker provides the core code for you and you mostly do scripting you are not making a game from scratch. So if your brother produced game content with Game Maker, he did not "make a game from scratch" either.

As I said, any halfwit (no offense) can use Game Maker to make content. Whether it is good content is another matter, but the point is that it is not complicated to use and therefore totally believable that that is what you have really been doing. The issue is that it took ages to drag out of you that this is what you were really doing and even after that you persist in using inaccurate terminology that makes what you're doing sound more impressive than it really was like, "make a game from scratch."

Quote:
I'd say that gives me a pretty reason to at least start with Gamemaker(like he did), without being made fun of for it?
It's comments like this that make people think you are stupid. I just repeatedly said that it is fine to start with Game Maker and that has nothing to do with why people were making fun of you. Read what Clubbz said to find out the real reason; as usual he has provided a reasoned analysis of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
The only thing you can do is ignore it, and live your life however you want.
Or you could take it as the form of criticism it is and realize that there's something about you that you need to change. That way you don't end up posting dozens of nonsensical ideas that waste everyone's time.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 AM

Sooo, I'm just going to change the subject now, because I really don't care what you say, I'm going to continue making this game as long as I can avoid doing something illegal when it comes to copyrighting and stuff. But back to the point, I've been working on a map editor where you will be able to create maps for my game, and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me make maps (using the map editor)? If you do, send me a message, kind sir, and I'd like you to know, I'm probably going to constantly adding updates for new terrains, items, enemies, npcs, I think you get my point.

And seriously, if anybody sees something that is illegal because of copyright problems, it was not on purpose, and please tell me! I like positive feedback,

EDIT: I probably should've mentioned it isn't ready yet, still working on making it save/load correctly into .ini files.

Last edited by Josiah : 05-02-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
I'm just going to change the subject now, because I really don't care what you say,
And he wonders why people don't take him seriously. He poses a topic and doesn't like what people say to him (nor is he capable of recognizing that those people have more experience than he does and therefore know what they are talking about) so he essentially covers his ears and yells; "Lalalalalalalala! Can't hear you!" What's amazing about this is in the very next breath he asks people to come work for him. Even if he wasn't a little kid who ruined his credibility already, who would want to subject themselves to working for someone with that kind of attitude?

Worker: Hey Mr. Josiah, I think it would be better if we do this instead. Here's my ten point plan explaining why I think my idea is better than what we have now.

Josiah: noz! me no list-en! wat i be doodling iz beast sooo u betta fail in line! *drools*
Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM

I don't think you realize, all you've done is try to tell me I can't do this, and then wonder why I don't what you think, you're some random person on the internet that is a 'wizard' for a game that no longer exists.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Forum Admin

How many times have I recently said that I believe that you can do what we have, in the last few months, figured out that you have actually been doing? At this point, I am just correcting you on your terminology so that you don't continue to portray what you are doing as overly grandiose, which your penchant for has previously led people to assume that you were lying (it turned out you were just stupid - there's probably a nicer way to say that, but... eh, I tried to be nice to you 50 posts ago and you didn't listen to that either).

Btw, whether the game currently "exists" or not doesn't change the fact that I have nearly a decade of experience working on it, which includes not just practicing my craft, but researching it (aka I've done a lot of reading on game and level design). If I wanted to I could easily use my skills to get myself attached to any number projects or do what you're doing now, only far better and faster. Further more, many of the people who have criticized you are professional coders who have gone through advanced schooling and now program for a living.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 AM

"I tried to be nice to you 50 posts ago and you didn't listen to that either", funny, :P

And I still don't care...seriously...I'm not here to argue with you, except you refuse to let this go >_<
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Technically Arilou derives joy (Joy from his hatred of stupidity) from these conversations. Therefor, he has no reason to let this go. You on the other hand could have stopped responding to him a long time ago.

You were given your only viable options. Either take what he says and learn from it, ignore him altogether and live your life, or continue doing what you're doing and don't gain anything from it.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:41 AM

Oh no, I did stop responding multiple times, and the very latest time, I decided to ask a simple question, that wasn't even directed at him, and he decided we should start arguing again...?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
Oh no, I did stop responding multiple times, and the very latest time, I decided to ask a simple question, that wasn't even directed at him, and he decided we should start arguing again...?
Why didn't you start a new thread if you have a new topic? Seems to me you are lonely and come here to have someone to talk to. I mean what else would drive a person to revive a months old argument, to say the same things? Someone striving for contact thats who.

Or...you're trolling us and get a kick out of making all of us say the same things...
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 PM

First of all, you're right, I should have started a new thread, but I didn't think of it. and Second, I like that You actually said it could be something other than seeking attention... But either way, whether I am lonely or not, that isn't why I came back :P
Old 05-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
First of all, you're right, I should have started a new thread, but I didn't think of it. and Second, I like that You actually said it could be something other than seeking attention... But either way, whether I am lonely or not, that isn't why I came back :P
If you're not here to get our insight, and you're not here to argue, why are you here? (I'll give you a hint, it starts with an A and rhyme's with "a pension." It's alright, I'll wait for you to figure out the answer.)
Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 AM

I think I made that pretty clear when I started talking about the map editor I'm making >.>
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I think I made that pretty clear when I started talking about the map editor I'm making >.>
Lol, when did you mention a map editor?