Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Inconsistency in Wizard's Manual

The Area Guidelines section states:

"Avoid Towns

If you're thinking you might like to be a Wizard, don't assume you need to make a town. We have plenty of towns. In fact, don't make one unless it's a very large, very interesting town. We need more exploration and fighting/training areas: tombs, crypts, shrines, dens, hidden grottoes, abandoned mines, caves, dungeons, nests, hives, and so on. You can create them as individual areas, each one in a different directory, each one having perhaps ten to fifty maps, depending on the complexity. "

However the Wizard FAQ section states:

"Make a big area. It should have at least 40 maps, including a town with inns, shops and other standard buildings, and monster-fighting areas. If you don't send us at least 40 maps, we're not going to look at it. "

Could a wizard please enlighten us all on which section is best to follow?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Player Mod

Khalon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
The Area Guidelines section states:

"Avoid Towns

If you're thinking you might like to be a Wizard, don't assume you need to make a town. We have plenty of towns. In fact, don't make one unless it's a very large, very interesting town. We need more exploration and fighting/training areas: tombs, crypts, shrines, dens, hidden grottoes, abandoned mines, caves, dungeons, nests, hives, and so on. You can create them as individual areas, each one in a different directory, each one having perhaps ten to fifty maps, depending on the complexity. "

However the Wizard FAQ section states:

"Make a big area. It should have at least 40 maps, including a town with inns, shops and other standard buildings, and monster-fighting areas. If you don't send us at least 40 maps, we're not going to look at it. "

Could a wizard please enlighten us all on which section is best to follow?

Follow the "Avoid Town" guideline. It is not only best but also recommended.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 AM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Bow and arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalon View Post
Follow the "Avoid Town" guideline. It is not only best but also recommended.
This brings up a related question of mine; you guys don't care for towns, even as a proof of competence? I see the logic, since you have no need of towns at the moment, so skill in such a field may be useless, but is a well-designed town area as an add-on to a map good in any case, or does it actually detract from all submissions?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Weezerd

Contrare has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeofar View Post
This brings up a related question of mine; you guys don't care for towns, even as a proof of competence? I see the logic, since you have no need of towns at the moment, so skill in such a field may be useless, but is a well-designed town area as an add-on to a map good in any case, or does it actually detract from all submissions?
You can not submit maps to prove competence. You are submitting maps to get them into the game. Thus doing a town is not going to get you anywhere and detracts from your submission.

Contrare
Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Do not submit/do towns. You send me a map set of towns, I'll delete it unopened.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM

How exactly do you define town by the way. Is a small village of houses with some flavourful NPCs for players to interact with, set among a forest or such for training considered a "town", or is a place only considered a town if it is set up with shops and an inn that players can stay in and such? Also do ruined towns still fall under the heading of towns for this, or do ruins fall under places to train. I don't mean to ask to many questions and take up a bunch of time, but this is the best way I know to get information.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
How exactly do you define town by the way. Is a small village of houses with some flavourful NPCs for players to interact with, set among a forest or such for training considered a "town", or is a place only considered a town if it is set up with shops and an inn that players can stay in and such? Also do ruined towns still fall under the heading of towns for this, or do ruins fall under places to train. I don't mean to ask to many questions and take up a bunch of time, but this is the best way I know to get information.
Ruined towns for training are not towns. Those are training areas. That is what we want. Places to train. A regular town with inns, and shops, and such, is not what we want.

A few houses in a forest with colorful NPCs ("I told ya, buzz of, ya little blighter!") is not a town, per se.

And if you have any banished characters, don't bother even downloading the map editor. We won't even open the email you submit. Same goes for art submitted. Cheaters/Rule Breakers are ignored. Zero tolerance.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM

hmm, I've gotten a few warnings in the past, but never been banished. So does that apply to me, or can warnings be overlooked?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Forum Admin

Depends. How big a deal were the warnings? Was it just a Wiz telling you to knock it off? Or did you get summoned to a workroom for a thorough drubbing down?

Usually we can overlook a couple warnings. But if it's repeated instances of pushing your luck/talking back/arguing rules, then, no. Hit the road.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
hmm, I've gotten a few warnings in the past, but never been banished. So does that apply to me, or can warnings be overlooked?
Warnings are not important at all. They are just that, warnings.
The only thing that would effect anything is if you were not trusted, had many actual punishments etc.
You have none of the above.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Question, I think this will help clarify the town thing.

Would you guys accept, let say. . .

Ok So bob sends in a submission, in his submission are several nice maps of Forest Scenery, the forest has two paths, both paths lead to a "town" the first one a small village that doesn't offer anything in regards to a real town. The only reason bob added it was because it helps him set up the theme of goblin raids along the town, and maybe give a mini quest or something for low levels. The path that leads out of the town leads to a forest that has wolves, etc, which eventually leads to the goblins lair, set far enough back and hidden well enough that it is believable that the guards or soldiers have yet to find it.

The second path leads to a real city, has everything that a city does, stores, bla bla blah. But Every NPC had something to say, a story, a background. Maybe a grudge against a neighbor, maybe even a Quest or a Mini quest. The main theme of the story is maybe about a cult of mages that is trying to open a gateway to the abyss or to summon a demon king or something (Not a quest). So taking the path outside the city and finding the secret entrance might lead to a training map for higher levels, maybe even allow an abyss map, etc.

Now, that was all theoretical. But would a town set up like that be acceptable? ^_^
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Coffee Mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrare View Post
You can not submit maps to prove competence. You are submitting maps to get them into the game. Thus doing a town is not going to get you anywhere and detracts from your submission.

Contrare
Thanks for the information.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
Question, I think this will help clarify the town thing.

Would you guys accept, let say. . .

Ok So bob sends in a submission, in his submission are several nice maps of Forest Scenery, the forest has two paths, both paths lead to a "town" the first one a small village that doesn't offer anything in regards to a real town. The only reason bob added it was because it helps him set up the theme of goblin raids along the town, and maybe give a mini quest or something for low levels. The path that leads out of the town leads to a forest that has wolves, etc, which eventually leads to the goblins lair, set far enough back and hidden well enough that it is believable that the guards or soldiers have yet to find it.

The second path leads to a real city, has everything that a city does, stores, bla bla blah. But Every NPC had something to say, a story, a background. Maybe a grudge against a neighbor, maybe even a Quest or a Mini quest. The main theme of the story is maybe about a cult of mages that is trying to open a gateway to the abyss or to summon a demon king or something (Not a quest). So taking the path outside the city and finding the secret entrance might lead to a training map for higher levels, maybe even allow an abyss map, etc.

Now, that was all theoretical. But would a town set up like that be acceptable? ^_^
The town part of your submission would not be considered as part of your submission as contrare said above. And we dont need cities, so we are less likely to even bother looking at a submission that has one.
Leave large cities to the ones with experience we have enough little towns with no purpose already.

The manual error is that it then lists towns in the FAQ, thats it, its sentence that wasnt removed.
It does not change that we don't want them as the first statement in the manual says.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Forum Admin

Read my lips:

NO NEW TOWNS.

Does that make it past your cognitive reasoning skills?

Snarky answers are grounds for banishment.

(This is where you nod your heads and shut up.)
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Is it ok to have trainers, or are those reserved for experiance wizards to put in their maps?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Is it ok to have trainers, or are those reserved for experiance wizards to put in their maps?
Leave those for the pros.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Ok wait until we can show you
Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 AM

ok, thank you.