Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynne View Post
Wyvern can be easily likened to rogue. Many of the users on /v/ are adamant fans of rogue and pretty much everything that plays like it. Wyvern is pretty much my online rogue fix, I love it. I honestly find their distaste for the game surprising, as rogue is ultimately the most unforgiving games I know of, with a ridiculous learning curve... But the focus is a lot less on character advancement, and more on utilizing tools given to you.
It's nice that you like it for that reason, but I can see why others may not. Wyvern doesn't really do the whole rogue thing all that well and if that's what you're into, you can find a bunch of games that do it better. One of our goals is to expand on that aspect of Wyvern, but it's nowhere near the top of our list, and a bunch of it will involve things that are to the side of the main game.

Quote:
Actually, there is a shortage of those players. Free online RPGs are an industry now, believe it or not, and most of the players who you would have found playing Wyvern are now pouring hours into one of the many free WoW-clones. Kinda sad really.
Yes, there are a lot of games out there for them to play. But, Wyvern isn't trying to compete with them at the moment. It's a small time game, trying to attract a limited number of players and so there's no shortage in terms of what Wyvern is currently geared towards. When the game is perceived to be moving forward and when the server's performance can handle it, they show up. When our staff becomes limited, new things are few and far between, old things aren't being fixed, and when the server is having issues that prevents it from handling higher loads, the playerbase declines.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

Step one to increasing the playerbase:

Do not let Arilou post his creepy rants about eating players on the chatbox... :P
Old 11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilian View Post
Step one to increasing the playerbase:

Do not let Arilou post his creepy rants about eating players on the chatbox... :P
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*Coughchokecough*
HAHAHAHA
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM

Clipce has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
*Coughchokecough*
Chew your halfling before you go laughing like that tesh.. I think you need one of Arilou's blenders
Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipce View Post
Chew your halfling before you go laughing like that tesh.. I think you need one of Arilou's blenders
*cough* that must be it.
Anyone have a glass of naga juice?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Dioxide has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*hands teshuvah some fresh made naga juice*
It is my fame
that put the gods in shame
I am the archangel of Death
2008-11-24 13:50:01 Dioxide – killed by a Poison property for dioxide

Last edited by Dioxide : 11-25-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioxide View Post
*hands teshuvah some fresh made naga juice*
Thanks!
*looks in glass*
What is that floating?
But lets get back on topic, I just had to laugh, its not often that I actually laugh out loud when reading a forum post and make my dogs look at me funny
So what other ideas?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 PM

hagrit has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Bow and arrow

ok so all ur ideas are great and all but i think that unstead of grouping up with just players but NPCs too but you have to pay or over time you pay and their like your own pet and you can buy or find equptment and put it on later
Old 11-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrit View Post
ok so all ur ideas are great and all but i think that unstead of grouping up with just players but NPCs too but you have to pay or over time you pay and their like your own pet and you can buy or find equptment and put it on later
Yes, that's on the list of things we'd like to introduce to the game in the future. Once the code supports it, there would be a variety of ways you could see it in the game from hiring mercenaries to work with you, to bonding with familiars, to more advanced summons, to pets in the more traditional sense, and so on and so forth. However, do keep in mind that it's one of the more complicated things to code as in order for it to be possible a lot of different things have to come into place.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM

hagrit has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

yes i see what youre getting at, but you just read my mind!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The tutorial should be tower 'levels' since it is a tower. I see it as you can make certain levels, and to get down stairs you have to answer a question correctly about information provided on certain signs in the map. I don't how that would work out, but it seems like a good idea in my head.. It would 'force' new players to actually DO the tutorial, and players who have been playing to just answer, and move on.

The tutorial should still be completely revamped and made more straight forward. Like for example something like "To move you can use either one of the following: -You can click with the mouse, although this may make going through doors difficult for newer players. -You can use the keys that are automatically built in for you <insert those keys>. -Or if you're on a desktop you can use your numpad, <explain the directions each key gives>". So it gives you multiple choices to pick from or to get used to moving, and do this for a lot of the other commands.

Players need to be more helpful in general. Although, I myself am guilty of the, "Do the tutorial," crowd, I do help people on occasions where the question doesn't seem completely ridiculous, or explained on the signs before you even enter the tutorial tower. Telling someone to do the tutorial that they obviously didn't want to do, will just frustrate new players and drive them away. This being as it may, players should still be semi-forced into doing the tutorial, as it can take away many questions they may ask, or have. If they can't take fifteen minutes of reading signs, how will they ever have the time/get the patience to do quests, or train? You should be willing to at least read SOMETHING about the game, because if new players actually read the manual, they wouldn't ask the questions they do, as they are all usually explained very clearly.

Make grouping more crucial for surviving the first 4 levels of your Wyvern career. Aka, just make grouping more beneficial, although it already is if you group and do the pavilion. More areas like the pavilion could be introduced making the game more interactive between players. This might make Wyvern a more sociable environment seeing as how there are only 20 players online at most times, and there's usually no shouting happening at all. I hope I'm not the only person who enjoys chatting while playing, because it takes away from the seriousness of the tasks you're doing; you can even get a chuckle from the chat every now and then.

Teach every skill needed for survival in the tutorial. As stated before put little 'quests' in that can be explained through signs/whispers/magic mouths telling you who needs help, where to go, and how to do them(how to get, give, attack, talk). This would teach you pretty much everything you need to know, maybe give you rewards(items you can't sell, and disappear when you drop them, but don't disappear when there's a boot or you log), and even how to quest when you get to higher levels. This would probably keep people around due to a lower level of frustration after you leave the tutorial because you'll actually have a clue of what's going on.

When I made my first character in '05(a human), I ran out of the tutorial, died 40 times, stayed level 1, and quit for a week. I then made a new character(a dwarf) and got to level 16. Maybe the difficulty of starting out with each race should be mentioned clearly when you log on for the first time playing, or at some point in the tutorial. It would help you pick a race thats easier to use so you can get situated to the game.

I was going to download the map editor and try to start remaking what I think a tutorial should look like, but it's really out of date, and I don't know how to add updates to it().

Oh well that's all I have :|.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I was going to download the map editor and try to start remaking what I think a tutorial should look like, but it's really out of date, and I don't know how to add updates to it().
You don't add updates to it. What the map editor has is what you use.
There are no updates. It's only missing I think 3 or 4 monsters. All of which are high level that you wouldn't need.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Icy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Black dragons included, Teshuvah?

@Exile - must agree about the read the manual part, think from prior experience that there's some good grouping going on at lower levels - I suppose you have some points there.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Black dragons included, Teshuvah?

@Exile - must agree about the read the manual part, think from prior experience that there's some good grouping going on at lower levels - I suppose you have some points there.
Black dragons are not game monsters and would not be included in an update.
Those are "wizard monsters" for lack of a better term.

I was thinking of Reaper, ghast, fire bat, fire shog, gazer, that type of thing that you don't need. We all used what is there now when applying for wizard. It's more than sufficient
Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Aimi has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think that's an interesting idea, Exile, just to say something. The questions would probably be at the very front ie where the player appears, to make life faster for seasoned players. Currently, the "tower" does look more like a hallway.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Icy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Right - yup, thanks, Tesh, for clarifying that.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM

bloogah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I really really really love the game and everything in it *coughexceptthequeststhatIcan'tdocough* But if we're trying to get people to stay, then why would you say this Tesh?

teshuvah [ooc] bubbles: if you are only here for Rds qado, just go play nethack or something *chuckle*
Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloogah View Post
I really really really love the game and everything in it *coughexceptthequeststhatIcan'tdocough* But if we're trying to get people to stay, then why would you say this Tesh?

teshuvah [ooc] bubbles: if you are only here for Rds qado, just go play nethack or something *chuckle*
Because it's true bloogah. Players were never intended to stay here forever. We have said that many many times. Wyvern was intended to be played and then players to move on.
That's why the player count goes up and down in cycles. They go and more come.
If players just want to RD they are wasting a ton of game resources for nothing. And there are much better games out there for them to go play.
Arilou gives the link to them to find other free rpgs all the time.
And You didnt quote what the player said before I said that.
He said if no one would Rd with him he had no reason to stay online.
So yep, if you have no reason to stay online except to RD go find another game you'd enjoy more to "grind xp".
This thread was not how to get people to stay anyway.
It is to get NEW players to have an easier time in the tutorial/whe first playing and stay.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Deaf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

PvP, MMA, and good-looking custom pics, or non-custom pics (like female human archer). Ah them new players just don't see.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 PM

bloogah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I just came back to delete that post because I thought better of it and you had already replied.

Thank you though Tesh, it helped me understand a little bit better.