Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Dman has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default heres a bug...games been down for 6 years

D i just joined and i know what im talking about! yay CMON R!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

It doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about at all - The game has only been down since March of 2011. So unless you're exaggerating the time frame, it seems like you think the game never came back up after it's first extended downtime, starting in 2006. If that's the case, I'm sorry to inform you that you missed about a 3 year time period where you could have been playing.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Dman has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
It doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about at all - The game has only been down since March of 2011. So unless you're exaggerating the time frame, it seems like you think the game never came back up after it's first extended downtime, starting in 2006. If that's the case, I'm sorry to inform you that you missed about a 3 year time period where you could have been playing.
i heard it was only up for a few months...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Forum Admin

heh You heard wrong. After being down for 15 months, the game returned in December of 2007. It then remained up (with the exception of short outages here and there that lasted no more than a few hours to a few days) until March of 2011, one month after we threw a large 10 year anniversary event. At that point, the game had experienced a two year period of active development. Meaning we had been regularly fixing bugs, working on balancing the game, and we filtered in new content as time allowed. The anniversary event, in particular, was all about introducing new content, including a complete redo of the Minath Monster Arena (you can see a video of the new arena here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPCNdjEYDJU). We had been planning to follow up on that with more of the same when the game went down again.

You can see the news for all the progress that was made on the game during this time by clicking here and here. Also, if you are old enough to have been around for the Summer Feast event of 2003, you might be interested to get a glimpse into the sequel we did during your perceived 6 year downtime. You can, additionally, see a bunch of screen shots from that day here and, speaking of screen shots, here is the screen shot section of the website that we updated after the game returned. It's meant to show how the game progressed since 2003 as opposed to how much it progressed during the period of time that it was back. However, you'll see some new stuff in there. Finally, this thread will help you find all of the Wyvern videos made, if you're interested that sort of thing. I may be mistaken, but I believe all except the Garoodude ones were made after the game came back up in 2007.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get across with all this is that you missed the most active period in Wyvern's development since 2003. So, you really should have tried to find the forum during that first downtime, but sadly you were far from alone in thinking the game was gone - We lost much of our playerbase because of that.

---------- Edit ----------

Let me see if I have your narrative figured out: You're on the Fantasy Online forums and someone starts talking about Wyvern. You hadn't bothered to look into its status in 6 years, but finding out there was a forum peeked your interest and so you came looking for this site. You then make this thread with the same misinformation you gathered from that person's post, correct?

Speaking of misinformation, there's a lot wrong with what this pocketmouse person said...

Quote:
A long time ago I played a game known as Wyvern, by Cabochon. It had a heavy player invovement too, creating sprites and items, and even areas that were chosen for implementation from time to time.

The players who had contributed the most and demonstrated sufficient responsibility gained the position of 'Arch-Wizard', as all content-creators were known as 'Wizards'. They really weren't that different from mods here, but despite not being paid staff or someone whom the developer knew beforehand, they were heavily involved in creating really prominent new content, organizing game events, and rallying the wizards to create themed items for the community. The developed didn't have to put much effort into planning events at all, the community did it all themselves.

It was an old downloaded graphical MUD, and the graphics aren't as cute as FO's today, but in every other aspect, I'd have to say that if it were still up, I'd be playing it instead.. now, 5-6 years since the first time servers went down without ever coming up again for more than 2 months, and then only once or twice, people are still interested in the game, and one of the most active Arch-Wizards there was still at a forum maintained purely by ex-players on free hosting separate from the developer in ever way, explaining that the gamer wasn't likely to come back to hopeful returning players.

The gameplay interface really wasn't very different from FO, but of course builds, battle mechanisms and things were rather different I really miss it haha. And if anyone here has ever played this game, I think that in terms of the development methodology, that really is the potential that FO has.
1) In this person's time, Arch Wizard was a position that only Rhialto and his friends had. There were three of them besides Rhialto; Kiz, Caius, and Legolas. Kiz and Caius helped Rhialto in the early, pre-development stages of the game and so they had full, arch wizard status. Legolas came along a bit later and did work his way up the wizard ranks based on the quality of his work, but he only knew about the game because he knew Rhialto and he only became an arch wizard because of that same association.

At the time, Elder Wizard was the highest rank someone who went from random player to wizard could hope to achieve because Rhialto wasn't going to trust giving access to the entire game to someone he didn't know. He only went against that a year after the game came back up (in 2009) because he had been so inactive for so long and trying to get anything done was like pulling teeth. The people he opted to trust, at the time, had been around for years and had been managing the game as best they could with their limited access. But, it was not something he did lightly and one shouldn't think that, when the game comes back up, if they just work hard enough, arch wizard is an obtainable rank for them.

2) I take issue with the notion that the community planned events (events being lqs, not players yelling for people to come join them in a pk arena). Yes, we promote most of our wizards from within the playerbase, but wizard is not just a fancy title for a player who works on the game. Rather, someone who is made a wizard is taken out of the playerbase and, although they are allowed to maintain player accounts, they primarily become a staff member (people who put being a player first were usually banished - we always looked for people who were serious about joining our team). So, Wyvern really isn't a player content driven game in the traditional sense (granted, it's on the cusp so I can see why someone would hold that view).

3) As I said before the edit, that 2 month thing is flat out wrong. But it's funny that this person also thinks the game came back only once or twice for a brief period of time as it was consistently up (with only minor outages) for a little over 3 years. I can't even fathom how someone would make that mistake - What did they see that the game was back, play for a few days, experience an outage that lasted a weekend, and then decided that the game was being taken down for months again and that he shouldn't bother checking back in?

4) This forum is not maintained by ex-players. I maintain it and, while I have play tested the game, I was never a player - I came to Wyvern to apply to be a wizard, not to play it. In fact, I had vowed to quit MMORPGs a month before I did so as I had burned out very badly on one. So I had zero interest in playing the game at the time and then I came to know too much about how it worked to have much interest in playing it after being a wizard.

Although, perhaps this person meant ex-wizards since I have repeatedly said that I will no longer be working on the game. But, I am a retired wizard, not an ex-wizard as it's not like I intend to delete my wizard account.

5) I have never said the game is unlikely to come back. Actually, I confidently believe that it will return, I just don't think it's likely to come back any time soon as I think Rhialto will continue to drag things out before deciding what to do (even though he supposedly said he made a decision 6 months ago) and then being motivated to do it. I also have no expectations that anything will change, in the post-downtime era, so that something like this doesn't happen again.

6) This is not free hosting. I pay a monthly fee to keep this website up (hence, it having its own domain name). Also, neither I nor any other wizard has said anything about keeping the forum separate from Rhialto. While it is nice that it won't go down when the server goes down, (whether it's for an extended downtime like this or just a few hours) as players can come here and find out what's going on, the reason it is separate is simply because Rhialto never opted to put a player forum up on Wyvern's website. So they had to be created elsewhere.

Bottom line - I'd be wary of anything this person tells you. His sense of things (at least in regards to things that have happened in the past) is quite off.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
heh You heard wrong. [Truncated]
Bottom line - I'd be wary of anything this person tells you. His sense of things (at least in regards to things that have happened in the past) is quite off.

Reading this post made my night. I'm glad to see others in the world have respect for information; both the information on-hand and (some of) the misinformation's source make this an extremely worthwhile read for anyone confused about what happened during the downtime(s) (without going through every post on the forum or having experienced every part of the debacle.) Being a non-hardcore Wyvern player, I didn't experience everything, so I would not feign expertise, but reading such posts helps me to describe such things to my friends and brothers who have played the game and are wondering what happened, but too lazy to swing by this site.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 AM

Halfaxe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Long standing bug

I tried to log in today and the server is still down. Must be a glitch.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Forum Admin

I am always amused how people assume things that aren't true and then spread them as fact. Here are some excerpts from another failed attempt to explain the game.

Quote:
but all staff members or "Wizards" as they were called had to be extremely dedicated to the server, (as in play for years) and release content (new maps and dungeons or what not) to even be considered,
No, all you had to do was submit quality maps and you'd be promoted. We do have a rule that you have to have a level 15 account to be a wizard, but that was not enforced for the longest time and level 15 isn't hard to reach anyway. Neither was level 25 which is why I know a lot of people who didn't play the game for years before becoming wizards. In fact, I'm actually an extreme example of how wrong this is as I was promoted days after making my first account, something I've told people time and time again.

As for the releasing content part - You have your words mixed up. You have to make content to be considered, the releasing part happens after you're a wizard.

Quote:
and once this happened finally you went through a trial period of 2 months as a trial Wizard (or apprentice).
Honestly, unless we were nervous about you or you were promoted after Legolas left and before the whole arch wizard incident of 2009, you were promoted from junior to full wizard as soon as you finished your first project. What constituted a project was rather subjective when it came to art wizards so they sometimes stayed as junior wizards for a little bit longer than map makers. But map makers almost always got promoted after their first area went live. Certain people played around instead of doing their work and so they remained as junior wizards for awhile, but those of of us who bug tested our areas and put them up right away got promoted right away. In fact, I don't think I was even a wizard for two months when I was promoted to senior wizard (if I'm not mistaken, it was just a little bit before the two month mark).

Quote:
The server was also similar, in that the owner started it in college, and eventually became one of google's lead software engineers.
A) To be fair, I think he was trying to exaggerate the importance of certain things to secure a mod position at steam, but thinking that Rhialto's position at google was a grand one because he's outspoken on the internet is pretty common. Yet, until recently, he was just a regular staff software engineer.

B) Wrong again. He did not start Wyvern while in college, he started in while in the workforce - He worked at Geoworks from 1992-1997 and then spent a year just working on Wyvern before landing a job at Amazon. His time in college and his time at Geoworks does overlap, but he had been out of college for a bit when work on Wyvern begun. So, I don't know where this misconception came from (it's a new one for me).
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think I remember reading somewhere on the website that a lot of earlier coders for wyvern were his coworkers at amazon. So that should help explain that Wyvern's earlier days were post college. (to add to what Arilou said)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:27 AM
Forum Admin

04-17-2013, 09:40 PM:

Rhialto started the game while at Geoworks and then spent a year between Geoworks and Amazon just working on the game. I think Kiz started working on the game during that time, but he also worked with Rhialto at Amazon and if I remember corrected Caius worked there with him too.

New Post (07-02-2015):

Speaking of people misrepresenting facts:
Quote:
Actually they had near a thousand maybe even more before the crach. Now they only allow70 players on. Gonna change in some time.
http://www.onrpg.com/boards/threads/...Wyvern-is-back!

I don't know if he intentionally lied to try to make the game seem more worthwhile or he really believed that, but it's the most absurd misrepresentation of the number of players who would consecutively play that I have ever heard in all my time honey roasting halflings. Usually, people simply claim that peek hours regularly saw 150 people playing or some variation thereof even though in reality 100 was the average high and instances where it got to ~120 were few and usually the result of guest account abuse or the infamous freezing bug (people who didn't have their speed setpropped into negative numbers like Arilou would freeze and try to login to other accounts/guests, which would then also freeze). This is the one and only time that I saw such an outlandish false claim about this. If he was not making it up did he see some mention somewhere that we had thousands of players and not realized that it was referring to our overall numbers and not the amount of people who would login at any one time? Who knows?

Btw, you're welcome for not posting this as a link in the chatbox without any context to see if anyone would think it was about the game being back now as I originally intended to when I went to look for the link. See, Arilou can be nice.