Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Post Do Females Dwarves Exist?

Do Female Dwarves Exist?
On Dwarfkin

There is a question that plagues mankind quite universally. It has existed in most all fantasy settings, and tantalizes the brain cells of many who have tried to tackle it. Some believe it is a state secret - others, an arcane mystery that is directly linked to the fabric of the universe. Even some believe that there is no absolute truth - that the answer does not truly have to be "Yes" or "No." The question itself is no more complex than "Do Female Dwarves Exist?"

The answer, suffice it to say, is simple: yes. But this answer raises more questions itself, and it would behoove to me, now that I have begun this exploration, to finish it. So, dear listeners, allow me to embark upon rendering some most satisfying answers regarding the culture, life, and reproductive cycle of Dwarves.

The key to the original question is this: female Dwarves, excepting some outliers, only ovulate once during their lifetime (Incidentally, most male dwarves remain virile throughout the majority of their lifetime - more on this later). They give birth to a brood of 1-10, with 2 or three being the most common. The ratio of girls to boys is around 1:4, which is the cause of some of the confusion surrounding female dwarves. There are some mutants that are indeed capable of creating offspring on multiple occasions, but these are fairly rare. Despite rumors surrounding them, female dwarves are no less beautiful than most other creatures during their youth and fertile period, and dwarves marriages are often based upon attractiveness. They are married shortly after adulthood (That is, between 40 and 150) to an appropriate male dwarf, and it is not uncommon for the pair to be very much in love. They will spend a few (1-3) very private years together, and before long, the she-dwarf will find herself pregnant, at which point she will began living in the town's "Woman's Hut" (It is called this regardless of the size of the dwelling - it can range from truly being a hut to, in some very large settlements, a small city) until she has given birth, usually a period about a year from conception.

At this point, the couple typically begins living together while the woman raises the children thus gained. Dwarves are practically infants for the first five years of life, and must be doted upon endlessly during this period, so the new mother often acquires help from relatives. Dwarves reach adolescence around 30, and are finally fully grown at 40. The Dwarven life cycle ends around 500 years, with 350 being middle age. During her the raising of her children, the female dwarf rarely does much outside the house or the immediate vicinity, as they have strong maternal instincts and are constantly thinking about their family (This is important in the formation of myths regarding the existence of female dwarves). While they raise their children, however, a change is occurring. Except in some, shortly after a female dwarf gives birth, she stops producing dwarf-equivalent estrogen. In the following years, she will age somewhat quickly and lose many of her feminine characteristics.

After their children are raised, many a female dwarf is mostly indistinguishable from a male dwarf and is folded into the general population, which is of course mostly comprised of men. They are typically not prohibited from engaging in most professions and activities that male dwarves also follow, although there are some with an unusual inclination to the tasks that are typically considered "feminine" by the human race. So, another burning question remains that I have not yet addressed - do female dwarves have beards? The answer is "not usually." While a female dwarf will stop producing estrogen, they do not begin producing greater amounts of dwarf-equivalent testosterone, and thusly do not start exhibiting strongly male traits. There are indeed some woman dwarves that have beards that would rival a stout dwarf man, but most do not. In most female dwarves, it is unusual if a large beard starts to appear before 350, which is when the majority of those that will grow beards, do.

So, there you have it. This is contains the answer to many of the basic questions asked about dwarfkin, and many are not interested in learning more. I do, however, hope that my fine listeners will be interested in hearing more, as I certainly have more to tell.

_____________________________________________ _______________

This is an idea I began shortly after a conversation on Wyvern regarding the existence of female dwarves and their beards which was combined with an idea from a book on Gnomes which supplied the basic premise on which this treatise is based. Sadly, this is quite a period of time since the inception and development of the idea, so much of the (Especially the Additional!) material and organization of ideas has been lost. I intend to rectify this in the future, and I am open to ideas, critiques, comments, and suggestions. These are the primary materials which were expanded upon in mens but have lost my exact thoughts upon:
  • Expansions on the Dwarven married life, especially after children
  • Marrying Outside Dwarfkin, for men and women
  • The Noble Family and the mutations which drive it
  • The Ramifications that the Dwarven reproductive cycle has on labor and culture
  • The Life of an Average Dwarf
  • And More... Including more exquisite species
I hope that I can recapture and expand these ideas, as well as the original, so that this can be a truly outstanding work deserving of its subtitle, On Dwarfkin. If this effort proves to be a success, I hope to expand this as a series to describe more peoples of the realms, and beyond.

This is a work of speculative humor and is not directly related to any fantasy universe, including but not limited to Wyvern. It does not necessarily express the true opinion of the author, the owner of this forum, or any affiliates. The intent of this work is mean to be an entertaining thought exercise that is shared with the general public. I really do intend to edit, expand, and improve it. Please do not kill me for posting this. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Made me chuckle.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

You're an idiot.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlazy View Post
Made me chuckle.
Thank you, that is part of the mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
You're an idiot.
You're not a wizard! You can't verbally abuse me! I'm blowing my whistle *whirrrrrrrr*

In all seriousness, what do you really think of it? Come on, give some legitimate criticism! Besides, did you even read the disclaimer at the bottom?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:32 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

You need to talk more about how Giants can become "dwarfs" magically, to fit into places. Is it a curse?, why is a stone giant shrinked weaker than a normal dwarf?

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
You need to talk more about how Giants can become "dwarfs" magically, to fit into places. Is it a curse?, why is a stone giant shrinked weaker than a normal dwarf?
Giants just fit their brainsize when they shrink, which doesn't change in either form.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
Giants just fit their brainsize when they shrink, which doesn't change in either form.
That and giants shrinking doesnt make them change race to a dwarf, but alas once again, V, we are dealing with a person we try really hard to not reply to because it's so ridiculous *giggle* Apparently giants arent the only ones with brain size issues.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
Although this is laughably off topic (and possibly a joke about wording?), I'll try to answer this in a non-official way. When giants shrink, they don't actually lose weight, just size; they gain density, but their mass (and carried gear) stays the same. However, their muscles become smaller and tougher (this may help endurance in some cases, but the overall strain on the muscles due to decreased size evens this out or makes them less durable) which means they are significantly weaker than before, and even less capable of bearing their original weight. This is exacerbated by the fact that muscles are meant to work at a certain size and moving away from this makes them weaker and less effective and that incredibly dense muscles can be far weaker than less dense ones of the same size. They don't become dwarf-dwarfs though, just "dwarf giants," i.e., they become smaller in comparison to their natural size.