Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlight View Post
For games you can play Quake Live for free still, just don't expect to do good. People have been playing for years and you will die... a lot. Then coming soon you have CSGO! which will most likely be the competitive PC FPS for the next 11 years.

1. That's not an issue with Black Ops, yes the netcode isn't the best and the hit boxes are generous, but you will always run into this issue when dealing with p2p servers. Best you can hope for is to pull host all the time.

2. It's a game. (More below)

3. The weapons have drop off damage which increases with distance or attachments, so you at distance it takes a lot of shots to down someone. Up close you should be killing people almost instant with most guns.

Seems like you're having a bit of trouble, I don't know about the Wii but Xbox got a patch awhile ago that made the zoom-in time on the regular scope a lot quicker. I don't know if this made it to the Wii version but it makes it easier to snipe and before the patch the best way to snipe was to use the reflex scope on the lowest zoom level.

Put steady aim on your sniper class, when you zoom the cross hair will land somewhere randomly inside the little area, steady aim reduces the area it can land.

GamerTag: Slowko, Timezone: GMT +0.

All time stats on black ops best I can remember - Kill death ratio TDM - 3.7+ 275+ score per minute, top 6k score per minute wise at SND in the world leader boards.

Edit/Update: So, after giving it some time and a great deal of weapon testing, it really seems the problem with sniping in Black Ops is, well, there's no gentle way to put this - but unless you like having an ACOG on your sniper rifle, the Dragunov sucks (in Core). The later two rifles (and to a lesser extent the WA2000) are more than fine, they're excellent. It's just a shame that the better rifles take so long to unlock, since I really don't feel like grinding just so I can snipe.

I turned down my sensitivity today, and noticed a huge difference there as well. Where before I could strafe and shoot with some difficulty, now it feels just right and I don't have any issues. Zoom-in time isn't an issue, especially when tracking a target - with a little compensation I can hit a running target before it ducks behind a building 90% of the time. I'm more than happy with that.

Turning down the controller sensitivity is making a huge difference across the board too, so I think that was one of the bigger issues. One wouldn't think a few points would make such a big difference on the Wii when the range is 1-40, but it did.

I'll try the Steady Aim trick at some point, but for now I don't think I need it. Hardened comes in handy, even though putting it on a sniper rifle is almost overkill.

Last edited by Kama : 09-11-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I just picked up Medal of Honor for the 360 the other day and have enjoyed it. If anything the one thing that annoys me you can die wicked fast and there isn't a killcam. Personally I perfer the Bad Company 2 killcam to the CoD killcam but in a CoD esque map size I want something to figure out what just happened to me. Also yes I hate the snipers in BO. Hitting a guy on full sprint with .338 lapua round is going to jack you up beyond all belief and 6 times out of 10 on BO they shake it off and keep running at a full sprint. Now in Battlefield games you generally last more shots as well but some of that is due to the massive scale of the maps. In the spirit of fun they can't have someone run across this large map, arrive at an objective, and then get instantly annihilated by someone camping in a corner or attic or something like that. But I think BC2 still has higher bullet damage then BO. Also CoD 4 (the first MW game) was a ton of fun and I enjoyed it thoroughly. So buy it for the wii and play some.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlazy View Post
I just picked up Medal of Honor for the 360 the other day and have enjoyed it. If anything the one thing that annoys me you can die wicked fast and there isn't a killcam. Personally I perfer the Bad Company 2 killcam to the CoD killcam but in a CoD esque map size I want something to figure out what just happened to me. Also yes I hate the snipers in BO. Hitting a guy on full sprint with .338 lapua round is going to jack you up beyond all belief and 6 times out of 10 on BO they shake it off and keep running at a full sprint. Now in Battlefield games you generally last more shots as well but some of that is due to the massive scale of the maps. In the spirit of fun they can't have someone run across this large map, arrive at an objective, and then get instantly annihilated by someone camping in a corner or attic or something like that. But I think BC2 still has higher bullet damage then BO. Also CoD 4 (the first MW game) was a ton of fun and I enjoyed it thoroughly. So buy it for the wii and play some.
I love the Medal of Honor series. I played it years ago, and recently bought Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 for Wii, overall an awesome game (with 32 v. 32 multiplayer, might I add). And actually, because I play CoD on Wii, I play without a kill cam or theatre mode (and a few other things), and I rather enjoy it. I find figuring out what happened takes nothing more than a bit of a map knowledge and knowing the direction the bullet/attack came from.

The L96A1 and PSG1 in BO are both one-hit kills in the stomach, chest, and head. That's fine. What I don't like is that the other sniper rifles are two-hit kills anywhere but the head, making the first 25 levels or so impossible to effectively snipe without just taking the role of a DMR (Designated Marksman) and wielding an Assault Rifle. Oh, and I find trapping is immensely simpler on a sprinting player than tracking their movements across the map. 2 out of 10 times I have that happen to me, and most of the time if I don't have the shot, I don't take it. I do wish that a shot to the leg would drop a player into something similar to second chance though, maybe with a timer before they can run again, or at least slow them down. That'd be more realistic, albeit.. bordering overpowered. And it'd give away my position easier, nonetheless.

In fact, let me break down the major reasons I dislike the 2-hit kills on the Dragunov and WA2000. In the military, a sniper's usual purpose is to lay down high precision gunfire in support of a team. This means working one's way to a concealed location without alerting the enemy of one's presence, digging-in, and taking a shot only when you're sure you've gone one. Taking a shot at any other time increases your risk of detection, and if there is a skilled counter-sniper in the enemy ranks, that risk goes up substantially. So the basic premise is One Shot, One Kill - You shoot to kill and you (typically) only shoot when you can kill, and after no more than three shots, you stop, wait a short while, and move to the next location. So sure, a headshot might be tempting at times, but it is not the most probable shot. That being said, the chest is a much larger target profile. When I play a sniper class, I usually aim for the chest for that reason. With the Dragunov and WA2000, the only reasonable target is the head, lest you fire two (sic) many shots and find yourself with some fancy new lead earrings.

Treyarch was trying to eliminate quickscoping by toning down snipers in various ways, and unfortunately, they managed to affect legitimate hard-scoping snipers as well. I understand it, but it ****es me off, and it's still my #1 complaint. 'Cause it doesn't seem like they took enough consideration of those who use a sniper rifle not just because it's a one-shot kill, but because that's their playstyle.

I've thought about buying COD4, and I eventually will just to have it on the shelf. But I'm starting to think that although I don't like everything in BO, my initial reaction was right, and it's one of the more balanced games. I remember.. certain things I shall not name.. from earlier CoD games that were enough to turn the most sane person into a virtual Arilou.

And after that last comment.. I'm gonna run now. ^.^

Last edited by Kama : 09-01-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Player Mod

Also the fact that ballistics wise the WA2000 and L96a1 and the Dragunov and PSG-1 are very similar and they are all common sniper rounds with high dropping power at long ranges. There isn't a single CoD map ever that has been big enough for a bullet to drop off significantly due to range for any of those rounds. I guess thats why I like Battlefield better. The maps are huge and you have to factor in bullet drop at long ranges and can even drop bullets over rocks and other hard targets at long enough ranges and take out a hiding enemy. That to me is an enjoyable sniping system.

EDIT: Also as far as the MOH killcam thing you die like really really fast usually too fast to figure out where you were being shot at from. What I would like is the BC2 style one where it shows a third person view of the guy who killed you. It doesn't flat out give away anyones position but gives the dead guy an idea of what the heck just happened.

Last edited by Irlazy : 09-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Being a "legitimate" hard scoping sniper in black ops is easy. It's all about map knowledge. Quick scoping is also pretty easy. That's more about tons of practice. But I am sure you know every map like the back of your hand and you reached the 15th prestige in just a matter of hours and you're a dj and yadayada...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
Being a "legitimate" hard scoping sniper in black ops is easy. It's all about map knowledge. Quick scoping is also pretty easy. That's more about tons of practice. But I am sure you know every map like the back of your hand and you reached the 15th prestige in just a matter of hours and you're a dj and yadayada...
Again, my only problem at this point with sniping in Black Ops is the early rifles. It's not that I can't get the shot with a two-hit kill, it's that it's a pain. And since I've only had the game for less than a month, I seriously doubt I know every map like the back of my hand. I never said I did. There are a few maps that I do know that well, and most of the others I've spent a decent amount of time either studying the map, going through in a private match, or played quite a few rounds of Combat Training on.
I know the spawn points, the high areas, the flanking routes, etc. on those maps that I do know well.

Right now, I'm back down at level 7 after having issues with my Wii. Before that, I was almost 1st Prestige. The only reason I can even play right now is because my sister, being the sweet little thing she is, decided to give me her Wii as a "late birthday present" (albeit she doesn't know she's getting it back soon as I get mine fixed).

And as for the rest of your post. Please, stop trolling already. It's annoying.

Edit: Just wanted to say you shouldn't be so sure of things you couldn't possibly know for sure. I'm 'sure' I'll offend you, but your sarcasm wasn't necessary by any means.

Quote:
Also the fact that ballistics wise the WA2000 and L96a1 and the Dragunov and PSG-1 are very similar and they are all common sniper rounds with high dropping power at long ranges. There isn't a single CoD map ever that has been big enough for a bullet to drop off significantly due to range for any of those rounds. I guess thats why I like Battlefield better. The maps are huge and you have to factor in bullet drop at long ranges and can even drop bullets over rocks and other hard targets at long enough ranges and take out a hiding enemy. That to me is an enjoyable sniping system.

EDIT: Also as far as the MOH killcam thing you die like really really fast usually too fast to figure out where you were being shot at from. What I would like is the BC2 style one where it shows a third person view of the guy who killed you. It doesn't flat out give away anyones position but gives the dead guy an idea of what the heck just happened.
For Black Ops in particular, I don't think it's a matter of the maps not being big enough for the bullet to drop. From my understanding the mechanics are set in such a way that "what you see is what you get" (at least on Wii), and calculating your shot doesn't come into play at all. Well, mayhaps that's not entirely true, but I don't think the bullets drop at all at range, just the damage (and for PSG1, L96A1 that range is extreme, if at all).

I've always liked bigger maps, it's a shame the initial maps for Black Ops aren't really all that big. And at this point it does not seem like the DLC is coming to the Wii, which is an even bigger shame, since the only zombie map we got was Kino. *Sigh*

And yeah, I see what you mean. I still say it's possible to figure out where the shot came from when lacking a killcam, but no doubt it's much harder if you do so fast.

On a further, slightly tangent-y note.. I think it's time for me to start lurking HUPIT a bit. I always play better on a team (I think everyone does), and I think I'm a little too used to someone having my back when I snipe. That's probably a weakness on my part, but old habits die hard, and trying to break it overnight may not be the best idea.

Edit: OH! On the subject of map awareness, in Black Ops, you CANNOT dolphin dive off of the balcony in Villa. You will die. (Unless you have lightweight, 'course)

Apparently you can, however, jump off the same balcony and "piggy-back" the enemy who just walked under you.

These Messages Brought to you Courtesy of: Kama's Wacky Excursions in Combat Training - "Taking Insanity to a Whole New Level Since 2011".

Last edited by Kama : 09-02-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:07 AM

Newnagaraga has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Sniping on black ops is absurd really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
I love the Medal of Honor series. I played it years ago, and recently bought Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 for Wii, overall an awesome game (with 32 v. 32 multiplayer, might I add). And actually, because I play CoD on Wii, I play without a kill cam or theatre mode (and a few other things), and I rather enjoy it. I find figuring out what happened takes nothing more than a bit of a map knowledge and knowing the direction the bullet/attack came from.

The L96A1 and PSG1 in BO are both one-hit kills in the stomach, chest, and head. That's fine. What I don't like is that the other sniper rifles are two-hit kills anywhere but the head, making the first 25 levels or so impossible to effectively snipe without just taking the role of a DMR (Designated Marksman) and wielding an Assault Rifle. Oh, and I find trapping is immensely simpler on a sprinting player than tracking their movements across the map. 2 out of 10 times I have that happen to me, and most of the time if I don't have the shot, I don't take it. I do wish that a shot to the leg would drop a player into something similar to second chance though, maybe with a timer before they can run again, or at least slow them down. That'd be more realistic, albeit.. bordering overpowered. And it'd give away my position easier, nonetheless.

In fact, let me break down the major reasons I dislike the 2-hit kills on the Dragunov and WA2000. In the military, a sniper's usual purpose is to lay down high precision gunfire in support of a team. This means working one's way to a concealed location without alerting the enemy of one's presence, digging-in, and taking a shot only when you're sure you've gone one. Taking a shot at any other time increases your risk of detection, and if there is a skilled counter-sniper in the enemy ranks, that risk goes up substantially. So the basic premise is One Shot, One Kill - You shoot to kill and you (typically) only shoot when you can kill, and after no more than three shots, you stop, wait a short while, and move to the next location. So sure, a headshot might be tempting at times, but it is not the most probable shot. That being said, the chest is a much larger target profile. When I play a sniper class, I usually aim for the chest for that reason. With the Dragunov and WA2000, the only reasonable target is the head, lest you fire two (sic) many shots and find yourself with some fancy new lead earrings.

Treyarch was trying to eliminate quickscoping by toning down snipers in various ways, and unfortunately, they managed to affect legitimate hard-scoping snipers as well. I understand it, but it ****es me off, and it's still my #1 complaint. 'Cause it doesn't seem like they took enough consideration of those who use a sniper rifle not just because it's a one-shot kill, but because that's their playstyle.

I've thought about buying COD4, and I eventually will just to have it on the shelf. But I'm starting to think that although I don't like everything in BO, my initial reaction was right, and it's one of the more balanced games. I remember.. certain things I shall not name.. from earlier CoD games that were enough to turn the most sane person into a virtual Arilou.

And after that last comment.. I'm gonna run now. ^.^
p
Play hardcore game modes. The dragunov w/ Silencer is quite deadly.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnagaraga View Post
p
Play hardcore game modes. The dragunov w/ Silencer is quite deadly.
Good to know. Haven't had a chance to play Hardcore yet, but I have a feeling it's quickly going to become my favourite. Or my most hated, one of the two (probably the former though ).

That.. or One in the Chamber. So.. awesome. A game mode that rewards patience and marksmanship, I friggin' love it.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Player Mod

On the subject of bullet damage and range what I meant is in Black Ops the bullets damage drops over range and there are no maps to that significantly alter the ballistics of any round never mind a high caliber round, especially the 300 winchester mag (wa2000) and the 338 lapua (l96a1), that there would be a significant drop in damage like there is on the game. The bullet dropping itself I was mentioning happens in Battlefield Bad Company 2 where you can actually take on a sniper support role. Unfortunately most people take on the very campy I am not going to move or help my team in anyway style of sniper in the Bad Company series. However when you have a good sniper in that game he or she can really change the ebb and flow of the battle. Still as for sniping in the CoD series I think CoD4 had the most sniper friendly game for both hard scopers and quick scopers.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
On the subject of bullet damage and range what I meant is in Black Ops the bullets damage drops over range and there are no maps to that significantly alter the ballistics of any round never mind a high caliber round, especially the 300 winchester mag (wa2000) and the 338 lapua (l96a1), that there would be a significant drop in damage like there is on the game. The bullet dropping itself I was mentioning happens in Battlefield Bad Company 2 where you can actually take on a sniper support role. Unfortunately most people take on the very campy I am not going to move or help my team in anyway style of sniper in the Bad Company series. However when you have a good sniper in that game he or she can really change the ebb and flow of the battle. Still as for sniping in the CoD series I think CoD4 had the most sniper friendly game for both hard scopers and quick scopers.
The two things I don't like about battlefield 3 is the shotguns and LMG's. The M60 with the LMG training perk is so unbelievably accurate, you can snipe snipers with it using the acog 4x zoom. And it shoots very fast (almost as fast as the last unlockable weapon in the medic class,the MG3) and also has heart stopping amount of power on it. Also the 12 guage perk with any of the pump of shotguns is ridiculous. I went 57-3 using the spas-12 with the 12 guage perk on Laguna Alta. But from those exceptions, I believe bad company 2 surpasses Call of Duty on most aspects, especially on sniping.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
And THAT is why I like sniping. Having a good sniper in the midst can definitely be a game changer, provided they support their team as they should. Often it comes down to a shot-by-shot basis, miss a single shot and the game is virtually over, take a shot you shouldn't have and everyone's screwed, and on the flip side, take the right shot at the right time and victory is already yours. Snipers by nature are a support class - a truly talented sniper will not just give the team long-range fire support they may not have had otherwise, but at the same time be giving that invaluable recon to their team. And information, more than anything, wins matches. Personally, I'm not the kind of player who puts much weight in their own score if my team doesn't win. I am an absolute "team player", and in Black Ops that seems to be one of my biggest issues. Too often I get grouped with a bunch of randoms out for their own K/D (and I should note I usually play Mercenary, but that's no excuse), disregarding that they should be supporting their team at the same time. I've even had teammates go so far as turning around (and sprinting, mind) rage-knifing me for covering their butts, ironically only to get us both killed because he has now drawn attention to me (and broke one of Roger's Rangers #1 rules! Never stand so close that the bullet can go through two people!).

One thing I've noticed is that 90% of the maps in Black Ops are small enough that you could just throw an ACOG on a sniper rifle and do extremely well. It doesn't have the kind of range/lines-of-sight that are optimal for something like the base scope. Kinda frustrating, and I don't know if any of the maps in the DLC are bigger, but obviously I won't be finding out anytime soon since months later there seems to be no aye or nay on whether they're coming to Wii (but I assume not, which is really sad). I'm not a hardcore Wii enthusiast by any means, but I do friggin' love the level of control something like the Wiimote gives me (which is also very similar to why I like playing FPS games on the PC); it's a shame it kinda feels like Wii version was just together last-minute.

Overall, I really do like Black Ops.. but at this point it leaves something to be desired.

Last edited by Kama : 09-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Player Mod

The sad truth Kama? It probably was thrown together at the last moment. One of the BIGGEST reasons I don't enjoy CoD games is because of my burning hatred for the CEO of Activision Bobby Kottick. That dude ticks me off. He doesn't even hide the fact that his main goal in life is to bleed the fans of Activision games dry. Don't be surprised when in the near future CoD Elite turns into the only way to play online multiplayer in an CoD game. Also fyi he talked about plans 2 years ago to release a game WITHOUT cut scenes and charge you to watch them if you want to see them. So imagine playing Diablo 2, you just beat the first chapter boss of the game Andariel and you are moving on to the desert. Just one problem though, you randomly appeared there. No backstory on how, no progression in the story, just talk to some guy and poof now your somewhere else. I say BS to that good sirs and mams. Anyway that was my I hate Bobby rant of the week. Also to newnagaraga, the m60 got a serious nerf early on and several since then. Even though I still agree medics are the most unbalanced class I don't think it is that glaring of an issue considering how much they lose in close range battles to all but recon class users. Also the m60s rate of fire isn't anywhere near the mg3. That thing is insane. I think it had an even higher rate of fire in the first Bad Company too. And as for the slug attachment for the shotguns (which is what I think is what your talking about) it takes some skill to use that. A random new player or someone without good reflexes and accurate couldn't use it with any success. However it is annoying that slugs have ZERO bullet drop because if a sniper gets spotted the shotgun could win that battle at long range. Anyway... Can't wait for the BF3 beta!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The sad truth Kama? It probably was thrown together at the last moment. One of the BIGGEST reasons I don't enjoy CoD games is because of my burning hatred for the CEO of Activision Bobby Kottick. That dude ticks me off. He doesn't even hide the fact that his main goal in life is to bleed the fans of Activision games dry. Don't be surprised when in the near future CoD Elite turns into the only way to play online multiplayer in an CoD game. Also fyi he talked about plans 2 years ago to release a game WITHOUT cut scenes and charge you to watch them if you want to see them. So imagine playing Diablo 2, you just beat the first chapter boss of the game Andariel and you are moving on to the desert. Just one problem though, you randomly appeared there. No backstory on how, no progression in the story, just talk to some guy and poof now your somewhere else. I say BS to that good sirs and mams. Anyway that was my I hate Bobby rant of the week. Also to newnagaraga, the m60 got a serious nerf early on and several since then. Even though I still agree medics are the most unbalanced class I don't think it is that glaring of an issue considering how much they lose in close range battles to all but recon class users. Also the m60s rate of fire isn't anywhere near the mg3. That thing is insane. I think it had an even higher rate of fire in the first Bad Company too. And as for the slug attachment for the shotguns (which is what I think is what your talking about) it takes some skill to use that. A random new player or someone without good reflexes and accurate couldn't use it with any success. However it is annoying that slugs have ZERO bullet drop because if a sniper gets spotted the shotgun could win that battle at long range. Anyway... Can't wait for the BF3 beta!
Well, lucky me then. I'm fairly sure Elite isn't even coming to the Wii, so there's no possible way for them to charge me to play. They say that a bunch of things'll never hit the Wii because of console limitations, which is somewhat true, but I think it's more laziness on their part. The fact that we get all the multiplayer maps, yet only one zombie map? That's insane. You're telling me you couldn't add a few more maps? Sure, I love Kino and I can play it endlessly, but.. no Five? Nothing? What the heck, people.

The whole gaming industry seems to be heading the way of pinching every last penny out of gamers they can, unfortunately. In some cases, it's no longer about the quality of the game, but how much money they can make off of it. That's one of the triggers that lead to me making this thread, actually. There may be some truly great games out there, but so many of them are just.. so mediocre it's laughable.

Edit: Instead of double-posting, I'll just edit this in. So last night I broke down and decided to go and get the chat headset for Wii, since apparently only the proprietary one works with the console, and one thing really struck me after testing it on my computer. The headset itself is "sound neutralising", and I really didn't expect much of a result from that feature in particular.. much to my amazement, with my SRS turned up, you can *barely* hear it in the background.. I'm very, very impressed. And the clarity is extremely good, enough so to catch the slight nuances (unfortunately) of my sore throat even (which, also unfortunately, made me sound so much like a guy I refused to plug it into the Wii until my throat stopped hurting.. *sighs and shakes head*)

Last edited by Kama : 09-03-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
And THAT is why I like sniping. Having a good sniper in the midst can definitely be a game changer, provided they support their team as they should. Often it comes down to a shot-by-shot basis, miss a single shot and the game is virtually over, take a shot you shouldn't have and everyone's screwed, and on the flip side, take the right shot at the right time and victory is already yours. Snipers by nature are a support class - a truly talented sniper will not just give the team long-range fire support they may not have had otherwise, but at the same time be giving that invaluable recon to their team. And information, more than anything, wins matches. Personally, I'm not the kind of player who puts much weight in their own score if my team doesn't win. I am an absolute "team player", and in Black Ops that seems to be one of my biggest issues. Too often I get grouped with a bunch of randoms out for their own K/D (and I should note I usually play Mercenary, but that's no excuse), disregarding that they should be supporting their team at the same time. I've even had teammates go so far as turning around (and sprinting, mind) rage-knifing me for covering their butts, ironically only to get us both killed because he has now drawn attention to me (and broke one of Roger's Rangers #1 rules! Never stand so close that the bullet can go through two people!).

One thing I've noticed is that 90% of the maps in Black Ops are small enough that you could just throw an ACOG on a sniper rifle and do extremely well. It doesn't have the kind of range/lines-of-sight that are optimal for something like the base scope. Kinda frustrating, and I don't know if any of the maps in the DLC are bigger, but obviously I won't be finding out anytime soon since months later there seems to be no aye or nay on whether they're coming to Wii (but I assume not, which is really sad). I'm not a hardcore Wii enthusiast by any means, but I do friggin' love the level of control something like the Wiimote gives me (which is also very similar to why I like playing FPS games on the PC); it's a shame it kinda feels like Wii version was just together last-minute.

Overall, I really do like Black Ops.. but at this point it leaves something to be desired.
Now you know how I felt when I bought World at War for the wii, no map packs, ONLY 6 of the smallest maps (no medium/large maps) only FFA,TDM,Hardcore FFA and TDM... thats it. NO zombies, really was a let down... but i still reached 10th prestiege because the game was still awesome.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

y'know what i hate about black ops? having some random guy throw a tomahawk at me all the way across the map when I spawn and I die due to the tomahawk grazing my calf (true story).

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM

So, does anyone want to explain why a giant heap of rotting-flesh-that-walks can jump off a building and not break a leg, die, etc.? And why I never noticed this before?

'Cause if you can come up with a logical explanation for that, I applaud you.

They were like lemmings, follow each other one after the last to their doom.. (and then I ran out of ammo).

Edit: I seemingly forgot that the (Nazi!) Zombies had around 2000 HP when that happened, so I suppose that's a 'somewhat' logical explanation. XD

Doesn't explain why they can do it in round 1, though.

Alright, so I apologize for the double-post, and if a wizard deems it's appropriate then I won't so much as mind if this gets edited into my previous post, BUT the two topics being so minutely related, it really doesn't feel right for me to do so.

That being said...

I know I had complained quite a bit in this thread about the sniper rifles in a certain Black Ops, which was far from my intention when I started this thread, but I'd like to make a quick update as to my current feelings on that topic..

I still very, very much dislike the Dragunov. I realize it's the first sniper you get in the game, but it just feels so drastically underpowered (albeit understandable) as to make me avoid it like the plague. The WA2000 is fairly decent, but that's not what I wanted to talk about here.

After spending a great deal of quality time with the L96A1, and finding my rhythm with that rifle, I really have to say that it is a friggin' beautiful gun. It actually tends to play better (imo) than similar rifles in a majority of the other FPS games I've played, including other games on Quake-based engines, even Quake Live. I'm so incredibly impressed on how well it performs, that I have no other option but to take back virtually everything I've said about sniping in Black Ops. As someone who spent many of their younger years watching their dad play Wolfenstein, I don't take that lightly. My mind is blown, and I honestly think B.O. has become one of my all-time favourite games to wield a sniper rifle. It does take a great amount of skill to do well, but that's how sniping should be. Dragscoping is incredibly effective with the L96A1, and it feels great. The sway in the scope, to me, just adds a really great color to the entire style of gameplay. And not to mention there's nothing more gratifying than taking out that second-chancer (and the 'medic' running to his rescue - classic sniper tricks ftw) with that well-placed headshot. You want to try and take me out with your pistol, eh? I live and die by my sidearm, buddy. Best of luck to you. And to top it all off, if there's no time to throw that tomahawk or switch to my secondary, a well-played quickscope can usually save my butt (but it doesn't seem practical as a primary style of play, which despite only having played CoD 1-3 before Black Ops, I'm very happy about). The fact is that it takes a range of skills to effectively snipe in the game, and there are situations where each of those skills is a better fit than another. That to me is an enjoyable Sniper gameplay. I love it.