Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Artifacts vs Savable weapons!

*If you don't feel like reading a lot just scroll down to the bullets*

So I just got done reading the sticky Tesh posted of the games balance envisioned by R. After reading the part about never having the most powerful weapons and being able to save them it got me thinking... Artifacts have become almost obsolete. Personally I think the various endgame weaponry (gems, plat, elec) aren't OP because they all have their flaws and they make it possible for people to venture into the higher level areas of the game. What I think is Artifacts haven't evolved with the rest of the game. I remember when I first started playing a lot of people would buy artis when they got on before they started training so they could put in a good training session and it was money well invested. Now most artis that are bought are just so people can mess around with them, maybe to do the MMA and then log out when they are done. Anyway what I am suggesting is maybe boosting the power of existing artis a little bit so they are once again desirable or adding new artis with a level limit of 15 or 20 that are more powerful. That way there the old artis could be used by the lower levels still w/o ensuring a 10 level jump for 10k and then higher levels would have something to hunt for or purchase. Anyway like I said after reading that balance thing it just got me to thinking on this. At level 25 if I have an elec weapon, or a plat weapon, or even a diamond weapon I see no reason to buy an arti when I have a permanent weapon that is comparable in power (in some situations, I understand that a few of the artis are very powerful already such as orcus scepter and vorpal blade that are much stronger then diamond weapons). Ok just to sum up what I said in that insufferable jumble of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors I will outline it below...

• Artifacts are no longer desirable
  • Reasons include:
  • Monsters and areas getting harder without artifacts getting better
  • Abundance of permanent weapons that are affordable
  • The permanent weapons being powerful enough to not desire artifacts
  • Possible changes:
  • Increase the power of current artifacts
  • Add newer artifacts for higher levels that are stronger (also more expensive)
  • Add special abilities to some of the artifacts (perhaps a small hp bonus or a small bonus to spirit travel)
  • Make some useful outside of combat (maybe give some small bonuses to merchant or make a artifact weapon crafting hammer that gives a small bonus to black smith)
  • Increase the price of current weapons (diamond and elec give you a lot of bang for your buck)

Anyway thats about it. Not sure if this is viewed as a problem for anyone or not but it just seems that artis aren't what they used to be. I also believe that this will help promote exploration since most artifacts are found in unique areas or on powerful monsters. Also I didn't mention gem weapons because I believe they fall under the category of a weapon not everyone can afford and that people desire. Or in other words, because they aren't trade able and they have large price tags on them they already fit in the balance that R was looking for upon writing that article he wrote. Anyway that is my two cents on artifacts... Flame on, agree, do whatever you wish as I am curious in knowing other peoples opinions on the current state of artifacts.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Artifacts are no longer desirable? That's a new one.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think most artis are just fine as far as power in concerned (some do have special abilities, by the way) they're just way too difficult to get for the amount of benefit they give.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odolf View Post
they're just way too difficult to get for the amount of benefit they give.
Just a quick note here, because of this, 3 months ago 30+ new "artifact drops" spots were added to the game.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

There has been some discussion about potentially needing to exercise some balance in this department. But first a lot of work needs to go into setting limits for how powerful non-artifact weapons can be so that we don't run into the problem of wizards attempting to out-do existing content and getting closer and closer to artifact strength in the process. I'm not going to into the full details of the discussion, but exploring this further is somewhere on the list (which, btw, doesn't necessarily mean anything will come of it).
Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
Artifacts are no longer desirable? That's a new one.
What I mean when I say that isn't that no one wants one ever, but more like if I walk into the auction house and I can afford ANY sword I want and I need a sword so I can go train and I have the choice of vorpal or mithril I am taking the mithril. It will last longer and will be a very useful sword for the duration of its life. The vorpal could get cursed and I will end up killing myself with it. In the end the only reason I buy the vorpal is to goof around in PK with or kill monsters in an area where I have 0 chance of being cursed and thats just not efficient. The only artifact sword I can think of that would possibly be worth finding/buying to train with is the sword of the elements and even then against high level monsters it becomes less useful due to the resists those monsters have. I don't mean that there isn't a place for them or anything of that sort but that they are currently outclassed in several ways by the other weapons. While reading the article Rhialto wrote I got the sense that he wanted artifacts to be something you could use for temporary power you couldn't achieve otherwise. The trade off for such powerful weapons was they didn't last. Now weapons that last as long as you keep up the repairs will offer you what you need to fight high level monsters so you don't need that power anymore rendering artifacts less desirable to pursue. I also don't think its a problem with forged weapons being too powerful (though it could be a factor) but more that as the monsters have been added and the level of difficulty has progressed the artifacts haven't really kept pace with the rest of the game.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 PM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I for one would like to see an option where the artifacts last a full boot after the one in which you find it. That way, if you so choose, you can have a full six or so hours with it. As it is, many artifacts take some time getting to, meaning that you likely won't have the amount of time you were hoping to have.
E.G. You find an arti in MAH ten minutes before the server is going to boot. You can buy it and have it for the full duration of the next boot. This might also increase auction trade...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM

peacemaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to peacemaster

I really like this idea of making artifacts more desirable than they are at the moment. I do hop that this might come out soon.
And 30 new places!? I should do the E word again *eeek*
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiez View Post
I for one would like to see an option where the artifacts last a full boot after the one in which you find it. That way, if you so choose, you can have a full six or so hours with it. As it is, many artifacts take some time getting to, meaning that you likely won't have the amount of time you were hoping to have.
E.G. You find an arti in MAH ten minutes before the server is going to boot. You can buy it and have it for the full duration of the next boot. This might also increase auction trade...
*Points out a major problem with your idea*

According to that, one player could use an artifact a whole boot, then offer it in auction 10 minutes before the reboot, and another player could come and buy it from them, use it the full next boot.. Repeat. And there's no getting around that, really.

And on that note, Wyvern's resident Artifact Hunters have never seemed to have an issue getting to drops with plenty of time to spare, 5 1/2 hrs + isn't uncommon.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Forum Admin

Keep in mind that we won't have 6 hours reboots forever. Rhialto's goal was always was to get it all the way up to 24 hours. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, but you'll no doubt end up with more artifact time at some point in the future.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 PM

peacemaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to peacemaster

That is good to know. I might be going off-topic a little here but is there any view considering how longer boots will work with once per boot areas?
6 hour respawns seem already like a long time for wyvern? Are they expected to still remain once a boot, or will they be given longer respawns?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
That is good to know. I might be going off-topic a little here but is there any view considering how longer boots will work with once per boot areas?
6 hour respawns seem already like a long time for wyvern? Are they expected to still remain once a boot, or will they be given longer respawns?

Thanks
Very few maps are set to never unload and it's usually for technical reasons (needing Chapels to remain unloaded, LQs to not respawn, etc.). So it shouldn't really impact players that much as it isn't like we run around creating once per boot dungeons for you to train in. However, wizards can choose to change a never unload map to a time delayed map, (of however many minutes) on a case-by-case basis, if they really feel that it is necessary.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Lordz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I say yay to the fact that more Arti spawns have been implemented to the game. Though i haven't played much in awhile or even had a decent char that uses weapons to enjoy them enough to actually find those spots it's still great. I used to love artifact hunting. Maybe the time has come to get back to my roots....of murdering innocents with artifacts and laughing. >.>