Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:18 AM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

edo since your a halfling you probably have the mana to use mana shield

as a human paladin, the only real problem i have with full healing is if the lag hits im pretty much screwed because i canat spam heal to save my life...the plan seems a bit unthought out to me whether or not it hasnt been fully developed..

the server still isnt stable, and they slap us with this thing

i think looking at things through a wizards eyes it might be a bit different then when the nerfs actually affecting you

and last i dont even see the point of the level cap on healing fountains so it would be cool if someone explained

it doesnt affect me at all really be regardless its still pointless
Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

My only real problem with the healing nerf was the fact that potions were given a limit. Pot healing was already extremely expensive if you wanted to get any real training done, and the fact that's its been changed so that after level 20 you need a lot of healing skill, or a ton of full healing pots is just going to drive cavies away. Yes I understand that spam healing was a problem that needed to be fixed, but this was entirely the wrong way to go about it, and yes I understand that this will be tweaked in the future but if it isn't made a little more balanced soon there won't be many players left.

Lets look at it this way, a cavie hits level 21 and can't use healing potions(especially painful to a rak), they need to start buying full healing potions to train. Normal price on full heal pots in store is 5k(I dunno with 5 merch how much), and when player's sell them they usually sell them for 2k, now at 2k per heal lets say you get to level 200 of an rd(yes I doubt regularily a cavie would reach this far, but being force to use full heals would get them farther), but don't actually need to heal until level 20. After that lets say you heal twice every 3 floors. (180/3)(2)=120 heals. At 2k per heal it just costed this person approx 240k to go through one rd. Thats just way to much to even make it worth it, not to mention the fact that if all pot healing cavies above level 20 need to use full heals the price is bound to rise when buying in auction.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Curare has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm sure i'm not the only one thinking it, but perhaps that's the point Clubbz. Nobody left to care about the reset.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
but if it isn't made a little more balanced soon there won't be many players left.
Don't mind me, I'm just stopping by to express how funny I find this statement to be. It was one thing when players used to claim that years ago concerning things they didn't like, but after 15 months of downtime I think it has been shown that a great deal of you will hang around no matter what. It would be one thing if you had lives, but none of you are fooling anybody.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Don't mind me, I'm just stopping by to express how funny I find this statement to be. It was one thing when players used to years ago concerning things they didn't like, but after 15 months of downtime I think it has been shown that a great deal of you will hang around no matter what. It would be one thing if you had lives, but none of you are fooling anybody.
we hung around because we were waiting for it to come back, but if the game becomes such a pain to play its only going to drive people away(as many people did leave after the nerf)
Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You realize this is the same stuff you guys said when the enchant bug was fixed, when the ability to "give" was removed , right?
You really will do fine.

T
Old 02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
we hung around because we were waiting for it to come back, but if the game becomes such a pain to play its only going to drive people away(as many people did leave after the nerf)
You're missing the point. People say that about everything. They said it about the enchant bug, they said it about the trade restrictions, and not only did the playerbase not suffer as a result of those changes, but it grew very quickly after 15 months of downtime. All of which just goes to show that line is a pretty lame response to something you have an issue with - Try to stick to facts.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:41 PM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

yeah, I have to say Im probably pretty much done because its simply too hard to play without healing. As I tend to play pixies, theres no need for anything more than minor healing, so having to power up lore just to cast a spell thatll heal more health than I have is boring.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM

Duender has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Bow and arrow

X: I died quite frequently even when spam healing, so this isn't particularly favourable for me, as I'll die more, but, what can you do except adapt to the changes.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
You're missing the point. People say that about thing. They said it about the enchant bug, they said it about the trade restrictions, and not only did the playerbase not suffer as a result of those changes, but it grew very quickly after 15 months of downtime. All of which just goes to show that line is a pretty lame response to something you have an issue with - Try to stick to facts.

This isn't just people saying it, it will only drive people away. With the enchant bug and trade restrictions it didn't really affect gameplay all that much but prevent overpowering low level players. With the extremity of the restrictions on healing spells now, training is going to become a pain for anyone over 16(for spell healers), or over level 20(pot healers). I could understand putting a cooldown for them, but restricting the levels is something which will make training hard. Having to shell out out tons of cash or train in such a way that you can barely kill anything(and you die if theres any lag) is more than what needed to be done. I'm not saying something didn't need to be done, but with this in particular will make training not only an incredible pain, but very irratating to people. Especially for characters like pixies who don't need to full heal because they have such little hp, or pot healing raks who don't need the effect of a full healing potion. Even pretty much any pot healers except giants will be severly hurt by the potion limit, and even giants will take a hit because Full healing is quite expensive. It may sound like I'm just complaining about my own characters but for me I don't really mind, I've never bothered getting many of my characters up to 20+. What I'm really trying to say is when some of the other things were nerfed it didn't really take much away from the game, but if you take away healing to this extent it makes getting any real training done next to impossible, and if people can't train they will get irratated and quit.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Location: Walking to and fro upon the earth, and going up and down in it
Mintaka has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo View Post
I'm a level 27 halfling paladin with somewhere close to 250 health. When i got on i tried to adjust, untrained some life magic and put it into lore and learned the Heal spell. I did MMA like i normally do and used somewhere around 50 clovers (casted 50 times) to get to level 47 of MMA - was working out decently. THEN the lag hit.. i froze for about 5 seconds, and in that time i got hit with dragon breath, melee, some recoil.. and it's not possible to spam heal like you could with other spells to survive alittle lag. And in RDs where you lag almost every second, if you come across a monster that can hit 8 times and has nasty recoil (Oh yea, monopods - the things around every corner) you'll lag even more and not even be able to survive.

Really to sum up my opinion.. it was a huge nerf that really did unbalance it for some classes.
I have to say this makes me laugh. I'm a naga level 17, I use major healing, and that's the story of my life. "It's not possible for me to spam heal to survive a little lag", and it never was. For me, carelessly pressing buttons that lower my mana risks getting dumped out of morph. If I had full heal, I'd be significantly better off than I am now.
I know this is kinda irrelevant to the discussion, since I haven't been affected by the nerf, but I have no sympathy for you. I've never gotten that far down RDs. I've never not run away from dragon breath and recoil. And no, it's not fun, but it's possible to deal with.

Also, like Arilou said, this is not necessarily a permanent state of affairs. So stop complaining.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM

wyvernRa has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quite possibly my favorite nerf of all wyvern time so far aside from the enchanted armor bug, likely to never be surpassed by any other nerf except for the rumored giant nerf in the near future. Finally all those people whining about overpowered paladins can put a sock in their mouth when they see that some of us are just as good without spam healing. Something had to be done to tone down player strength seeing as how these days getting to level 25 means nothing compared to what most players have accomplished. You can see by the complaints in this thread that it has become the norm to be able to cruise through any area in the game with little risk of death while gaining experience very quickly. Then when you did die you were able to get nearly all of your exp back from a scroll of resurrection. These coddled players who got to the hall of fame with their near-immunity will just have to learn to cope.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
This isn't just people saying it, it will only drive people away. With the enchant bug and trade restrictions it didn't really affect gameplay all that much but prevent overpowering low level players.
You don't know what you're talking about. The enchant bug and spam healing are on the same level. When it was removed people spent a month complaining that they couldn't play anymore and that they were quitting because monsters were too hard and they were going to die. It also never had anything to with low level players as it was used by high levels and the alts they gave items to (which they did just so they could level them up in under a day). You'd hear the same exact argument, but people adapted and managed to play just fine before spam healing came about. If you go through the news posts you'll even see that monsters were fixed so they weren't so overpowered anymore as they were made in response to unbalanced players. Which is something I've been saying will begin to happen once Rhialto is done looking into armor problems. Everything will fall into place, just like it fell into place then and despite chicken littles running around screaming the sky is falling, things will be fine if everyone just has a little patience.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 AM

blazerv has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

At first, I really hated the new healing nerf but then I used about 140k to change my build to adjust to this change. So now I'm okay with the change. I only had to untrain 12 skill points and used it to train something else.

AND!!! Thanks to this update a few people quit which makes it easier for me to log on cause I don't see the "Too many players online" message much anymore =D!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The only real problem I have with the healing nerf is the lack of clovers. I'm aware that Binyamin put a huge reagent store somewhere, but that only satisfies a few people's needs. I'd say at least sell them in slightly bigger bundles when you do find them. Instead finding them in 2's or 4's, maybe make the bundles reach up to 10 or so.

Of course, I could just be talking out of my bottom if the next game fix changes things.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

I'm still baffled by why Rhialto chose level caps as the solution rather than just adding a speed of usage limitation. It just seems to be a whole lot less flexible as far as tweaking for balance.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of advantage this has over what everyone else had thought to be an obvious solution (and suggested many times in forums and the suggestion log)?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
I'm still baffled by why Rhialto chose level caps as the solution rather than just adding a speed of usage limitation. It just seems to be a whole lot less flexible as far as tweaking for balance.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of advantage this has over what everyone else had thought to be an obvious solution (and suggested many times in forums and the suggestion log)?
From what the wizards say, Rhialto just didn't want a timer. So that was really his call.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 AM

quijote has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Don't mind me, I'm just stopping by to express how funny I find this statement to be. It was one thing when players used to claim that years ago concerning things they didn't like, but after 15 months of downtime I think it has been shown that a great deal of you will hang around no matter what. It would be one thing if you had lives, but none of you are fooling anybody.
Too right : D
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

After cooling down, I regret deleting Ila. She was really successful, and I could've just trained 7 Spirit and used Mana Shield.

Oh well. :/
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Ovrlndnsea has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikha View Post
I'm aware that Binyamin put a huge reagent store somewhere
Aye. He did, then halfed the number of reagents.
Tis still large, but not at all huge.