Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Durango has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Suggested playing times

I have some thoughts on this and would like to leave them here.

The times seem ok, but I would suggest more times on the week days that are like 5 PM pacific time that would be 7 PM central time 8 PM eastern time and most people will be home from work and school, I don't think many are home from work at 3 PM 4 PM 5 PM and 6 PM (US time zones). Extending it to two hours would widen the range a little.

Quote:
For many years, players abused all sorts of bugs and such to gain mass amounts of experience. These included what is known as the enchant bug, spam healing, unbalanced wizard areas, and a particularly nasty bug where players over level 30 were gaining experience when they died (something that "somehow" went unreported for years). As a result, there are players that are higher in level than we ever imagined anyone reasonably achieving. But, due to our recent efforts to fix these problems, players are finding that they are unable to catch up and since you've all been very patient with us, these last couple of years, we wanted to give you all something to help make up for the gap that now exists.
So from what I understand the whole point of this suggested playing times is to let the lower levels catch up to the level 30s and such. Personally I don't think 10% xp is really going to make a difference because the ones that benefit the most from this are the level 25s and 30s. The lower level player will not be able to progress any faster than the gold that can be gotten to train skills.

Also 10% bonus xp for one hour isn't going to make a big difference. I would suggest either making it a % increase in gold that can be gotten or make it a period of 4 hours or just increasing the % that it is for one hour.

I do agree that it is harder to level as fast as before. but it's not much to do with the areas in an xp sense. The loot in the areas has been harder to find, more risky to get, and there are level caps for those areas that are quite high compared to the level people were before when they went there.

Quote:
you could say that it's an unbalance to make up for an unbalance. For many years, players abused all sorts of bugs and such to gain mass amounts of experience. These included what is known as the enchant bug, spam healing, unbalanced wizard areas, and a particularly nasty bug where players over level 30 were gaining experience when they died (something that "somehow" went unreported for years).
Durango is one of those over level 30s and I think the main reason it would be difficult for a rakshasa cavie to get to 30+ so quickly today is not because of those bugs mentioned but because they now have to spend sooo much time buying potions of endurance. Before they were not available and only as scrolls, but without the big boost to spray spells like firespray they were not so much needed. Mages have a similar problem in that with the fireball nerfs they end up using the spray spells. (which have a reagent needed.) It's not even an expensive reagent but you have to buy it to cast the spells and it probably takes an hour to buy 500 of them, (which last for one to two hours hunt.) My mage ends up spending the same amount of time buying reagents as training/hunting. The same thing goes for Melee and potions. (I would much rather spend my wyvern time doing something other than shopping and would love some way to lessen this need or the time spent doing so.)

The change to the cost on guild skills like for instance (caveman has unarmed) Is probably another thing that would slow them down a lot. Though it is a nice change.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I have some thoughts on this and would like to leave them here.

The times seem ok, but I would suggest more times on the week days that are like 5 PM pacific time that would be 7 PM central time 8 PM eastern time and most people will be home from work and school, I don't think many are home from work at 3 PM 4 PM 5 PM and 6 PM (US time zones). Extending it to two hours would widen the range a little.
The records show that people were on the most during that time of day, so people not on the West Coast, at least, were coming home around then and taking the time to play the game. But, you're right that some people on the West Coast may miss out out for part of it. So I'll see how things go this go this week and check some of the older records. Thanks.

Quote:
So from what I understand the whole point of this suggested playing times is to let the lower levels catch up to the level 30s and such. Personally I don't think 10% xp is really going to make a difference because the ones that benefit the most from this are the level 25s and 30s. The lower level player will not be able to progress any faster than the gold that can be gotten to train skills.
The point is really just to provide a focal point for when people should play so that they can enjoy the company of others if that's what they're interested in. The actual bonus is secondary and isn't at all about low levels - It's about those people in the 20s who are struggling to catch up with those in the high 20s/early 30s and are finding it difficult. There are some people, like Betty, who are retired and yet still dominate the high score list, while people play each and every day and stand no chance of bumping her off her spot so that they can achieve a position of importance on the high scores (even Catty, who hasn't played since 2003, is still in the top 50 - it shouldn't be like that, but she heavily benefited from the enchant bug and the extreme amount of gold that used to exist). Then there are those that some people play with every day, who have these accounts with more skill points and they just dominate them in arenas and lqs, while they trudge along behind. In that case, the bonus will help them both equally, but since it becomes so much harder to level, the higher you are, it gives those slightly lower level players a little bit more of a chance to close the level gap, if not the xp gap.

Quote:
Also 10% bonus xp for one hour isn't going to make a big difference. I would suggest either making it a % increase in gold that can be gotten or make it a period of 4 hours or just increasing the % that it is for one hour.
Well, mind you, we expect this to go on for a little while as we still have a lot of work left to do. So over a prolonged period of time it should absolutely make a difference. But, we'll see. The suggested hours are based on when we think players would be willing to play as our main goal is to provide times that the most amount of players can band together behind. If people show us that they're willing to play for longer periods of times (in significant numbers, of course) we'll make the proper adjustments to accommodate them.

As for the percentage of bonus experience - It's 10% for right now while we test it out, but we may increase the amount, as mentioned in the news. We're not giving out more gold, but we do need to work on the gold-xp aspect of the game apart from this update. The game was supposed to be designed so that you have to make a choice - Go get experience or go get gold. In this system, there would still be some places where you could do both, but you'd never be able to get as much experience or as much gold as you would if you went somewhere for just one of those things. However, this system is severely underdeveloped and as we've been reducing the amount of gold you can find, we haven't been putting in enough places where gaining gold is the focus. So we'll be working on that in the future.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
However, this system is severely underdeveloped and as we've been reducing the amount of gold you can find, we haven't been putting in enough places where gaining gold is the focus. So we'll be working on that in the future.
I think it would be nice to add more areas like the dwarf mine RD where you can get some gold at the end of it. You can't progress any further to the really good xp, so the xp is a bit limited. It's really great for mages with low low strength to get gold, because pixies and elves can't carry very much.

High strength should not be such a huge advantage for gold accumulation.

Last edited by Durango : 02-06-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Durango is one of those over level 30s and I think the main reason it would be difficult for a rakshasa cavie to get to 30+ so quickly today is not because of those bugs mentioned but because they now have to spend sooo much time buying potions of endurance. Before they were not available and only as scrolls, but without the big boost to spray spells like firespray they were not so much needed. Mages have a similar problem in that with the fireball nerfs they end up using the spray spells. (which have a reagent needed.) It's not even an expensive reagent but you have to buy it to cast the spells and it probably takes an hour to buy 500 of them, (which last for one to two hours hunt.) My mage ends up spending the same amount of time buying reagents as training/hunting. The same thing goes for Melee and potions. (I would much rather spend my wyvern time doing something other than shopping and would love some way to lessen this need or the time spent doing so.)
So you think the little amount of time it takes to collect potions and reagents hinders people from getting to level 30+ more than the fact that all of those bugs/abuses/unbalanced areas no longer exist? Really?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
So you think the little amount of time it takes to collect potions and reagents hinders people from getting to level 30+ more than the fact that all of those bugs/abuses/unbalanced areas no longer exist? Really?
Half the time I'm on wyvern shopping is a lot of time to me.

Last edited by Durango : 02-06-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I think Trayr is referring to the fact that Durango is level 31 and he used to be highest in top player until you died a few times. Looks a little sketch and questions the legitimacy of your character.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Then don't use the potions, use armor, spells etc.
Wyvern is all about choices, and you can make many of them.
Durango is in the caveguild, it has no armor limitations, so you can wear dsms, rings, amulets, all kinds of resist armor.
Train in an area that doesn't require more than 1 or 2 resists covered by dsms and rings and you're golden. Thats what lots of players do and they do very well. If all you want to do is RD than you are going to run into problems finding everything for every possible resist, as you should, it should never be easy to get resists to everything constantly. So then we would recommend you group up with a resist mage , or a group with different strengths and weaknesses. You can always ask lower levels to shop for you and buy from them in bulk for higher than shop cost, thats a good way for them to make a little money at lower levels too.

But this has gotten off topic, as it was just about suggested playing times and Arilou has explained that in detail, anymore input on that is great.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
I think Trayr is referring to the fact that Durango is level 31 and he used to be highest in top player until you died a few times. Looks a little sketch and questions the legitimacy of your character.
I always used to RD, and my new elf mage RDs too I prefer having some resists and if I can't do it as a melee player anymore I'll have to start playing a new character. I don't think there is anything illegitimate about what Durango did. I was just very very careful not to die. I did take advantage of the full heal potions I'm not sure you can call that spam healing. They are all but useless now because you end up waiting for a heal what seems like a full minute. Even medium heals are faster and you can 'almost' spam them still. But I think the strong cold recoil on reapers kind of killed the xp for melees in the RD. Mages still have it the same as always. So they really don't 'need' to group up with anyone.

(I know I'm off topic sorry I'm done)
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I always used to RD, and my new elf mage RDs too I prefer having some resists and if I can't do it as a melee player anymore I'll have to start playing a new character. I don't think there is anything illegitimate about what Durango did. I was just very very careful not to die. I did take advantage of the full heal potions I'm not sure you can call that spam healing. They are all but useless now because you end up waiting for a heal what seems like a full minute. Even medium heals are faster and you can 'almost' spam them still. But I think the strong cold recoil on reapers kind of killed the xp for melees in the RD. Mages still have it the same as always. So they really don't 'need' to group up with anyone.

(I know I'm off topic sorry I'm done)
Actually, it's the strength of death ray and inability to gain immunity to it that scares high-level meleers away.

Based on how quickly I was able to level up Glacio even after the spam heal nerf, I don't really question what you did. I also remember gaining over 26m xp on Then in a matter of a few days.

but yeah, I really like how the past two days the bonus XP times have fallen when an LQ has happened to appear. I didn't know if this was merely a coincidence or strategically planned?

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post

but yeah, I really like how the past two days the bonus XP times have fallen when an LQ has happened to appear. I didn't know if this was merely a coincidence or strategically planned?
Just wanted to say this is a complete coincidence, they are on the same random timer they've been on since we made them more frequent some time ago. You've gotten lucky
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Just wanted to say this is a complete coincidence, they are on the same random timer they've been on since we made them more frequent some time ago. You've gotten lucky
Yeah I thought maybe it was a Wizard that was on that time, but recently I did read something that they were automated a bit.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Yeah I thought maybe it was a Wizard that was on that time, but recently I did read something that they were automated a bit.
They aren't automated a bit, they are completely automated and random, times right now are approximately once a day give or take hours.