Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Fresh new content isn't our focus right now, so you're not going to see lots of new maps until we start to move past this stage. But they will be filtered through the pipeline as time allows. Again, we've been doing this type of work so that we can get back to focusing on the fun type of updates you all enjoy and under the new system we have the ability to potentially get those updates to you in a way you have not seen since early 2004. Creative, interesting, and well thought out areas (for all types of levels) have been and always will be at the core of that. In fact, it's the basis (mostly) for our open wizard system, so it's not something that needs to be requested. And as for high level areas, specifically - Much of the resistance to making areas for them, over the years, has been a result of Wyvern's unbalanced state. Nobody really wants to make a large area that is a challenge for a group of people who are going to go through vast changes as their issues are fixed/modified. Doing so will only result in you having to redo that area (possibly several times if the changes happened over a period of years instead of on top of each other like we have been doing). Thus, we find ourselves back at my previous point regarding what this current work will do for the future of Wyvern.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:36 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by arilou
Creative, interesting, and well thought out areas (for all types of levels) have been and always will be at the core of that. In fact, it's the basis (mostly) for our open wizard system

I've been playing with just such an area.

Unfortunately I suck at the execution of making said area, so even if I did have a shot of getting it looked at, I would never submit it HAHAHA.

It's good to hear that it's on the "list" so to speak. Even if it will be X number of years before it's a focus.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Forum Admin

Again, (I'm really starting to dislike this word) we don't intend (and have never intended) for this stage to last for years. We not only got a lot done in the initial months, but we got a lot of the major issues taken care of. So we're actually ahead of where we thought we'd be by now.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM

dmc has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

At least half of the fun of Wyvern, or any MMO game for that matter, is interacting with the other players. Wyvern just isn't the same with 5-6 people playing at the same time on average, and while I do appreciate the balances I still hope that in the future efforts will be made to attract more players again.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
At least half of the fun of Wyvern, or any MMO game for that matter, is interacting with the other players. Wyvern just isn't the same with 5-6 people playing at the same time on average, and while I do appreciate the balances I still hope that in the future efforts will be made to attract more players again.
Again...You know what, I'm not doing it. Take the time to read the thread...or at least skim it. I've addressed this concern repeatedly already.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:15 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Come on you guys. It's like advertising for a theme park that is still under construction, why would you do that? Finish it first and then advertise for it. That's what is going on with Wyvern. . . I think.

Raey
Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 AM

Mykenubie has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
It's like advertising for a theme park that is still under construction, why would you do that?
Except that advertising for theme parks DO take place before they're actually completed. Just sayin'.

...I'll go back to being quiet now. >.>
Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM

Shootout has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke***ie View Post
Except that advertising for theme parks DO take place before they're actually completed. Just sayin'.

...I'll go back to being quiet now. >.>
But when building a theme park, the people in charge know what the finished product is supposed to look like on Day 1 of construction.

Wyvern isn't like that; there is no concrete blue print for an end game product. The wizards have ideas of where they want to go, and that is coupled with user input to reach a completed project.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Forum Admin

For those complaining about the player numbers; they have increased recently. For a little over a week we had been getting highs in the low to mid teens. Then, last night, we had long stretches of time where the number of players online were in the high teens. At one point, peeking at 20 people online. This seems to have continued today with the numbers online being in the mid to high teens already, even though it's a weekday afternoon.

So, as I've been saying, we're in a period where fluctuations are normal and will be happening for the remainder of this stage. Certain updates will pull people back in, some will do just the opposite, and times of the year certainly help (i.e. things had begun to slow down in the post summer months). So, try to be patient and please don't try to exploit every little down tick to complain about what you do not like. We've been keeping a close eye on playerbase changes for many years (plus, we have access to logs that you do not) and, as a result, we know the causes quite well. Therefore, if you have an issue, just tell us what it is. Doing otherwise will only hurt your case.

Oh and just to put these numbers into context - Before we began working on the game again, the highs would be between 20-30 players, often times hovering in the low 20s. That went on for a good year. So, little drops during this transitional period is not a huge deal. However, if we want to move the game beyond where it was, all of this is very necessary. Also, this means when you say our updates are ruining the game, you're basically saying that 5-12 less players during peek hours (and whatever amount that would translate for the entire day) is the end of everything as we know it. It is not. Rather, it's simply a very normal reaction to what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
There are only a couple things that come to mind when talking about the food system. The first is the fact that the food bar goes down when you aren't logged in, making the first thing you have to do it run in circles confused trying to find food.
There has been a bunch of confusion about this over the last couple of months, so I thought I'd properly address it - You do not lose food points while logged out. You simply do not have your food bar replenished anymore as that was a bug. So, when you "wake up" you will find that you always have as many food points as you did when you "went to sleep." Part of the confusion may be due to some of you not knowing how to logout properly. You want to either type "quit" or go to Game -> Disconnect. If you try to leave by Xing out the client, then you will remain logged in until you are booted for being idle. Thus, you will continue to drain food points, as normal, that whole time.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Vathos has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Greater rewards mean greater difficulty. That is what balance is about. That people got used to too much too soon, too often, is what we are working on balancing now.
I agree, I use to hate this games "hardness" but seems death isnt as hurtful as it use to be. Bad enough to die and walk all the way back to god knows where you was..but loosing all the exp you just gained makes its too much sometimes. I think the death is about balanced now days...Death doesnt make me wanna throw my pc out the window and cry =)
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Machuno Besar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathos View Post
I think the death is about balanced now days...Death doesnt make me wanna throw my pc out the window and cry
This guy needs some platinum or gem weapons >_<
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathos View Post
I agree, I use to hate this games "hardness" but seems death isnt as hurtful as it use to be. Bad enough to die and walk all the way back to god knows where you was..but loosing all the exp you just gained makes its too much sometimes. I think the death is about balanced now days...Death doesnt make me wanna throw my pc out the window and cry =)
And Wyvern actually lets you train a skill that reduces the *only* thing you lose or have bothered when you die, XP
Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Clipce has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
And Wyvern actually lets you train a skill that reduces the *only* thing you lose or have bothered when you die, XP
I lose some of my pride when I die <_<

sslighting

mykenigma

lilwizz / lilwiz (banned)

had a halfling ranger?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipce View Post
I lose some of my pride when I die <_<
Sorry we are unable at this time to give you a skill to help with this lol
Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 AM

nullpoer has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I rather wanna lose some money than XP for death like major RPGs (DQ and FF etc), or divede the penalty into XP and money...you must pay money to god to go back from heaven!

I trained 9 SpiritTravel, but death happens so easy, and I feel it's still hard to lose XP I earned in 1 day for 1 death...I know I'm super careless though <_<
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 PM

happyrabitz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to happyrabitz
Smile

About food, to make it balanced enough for the average player make it so you lose your food lv. by what you do and not the time so your not losing food lv if you have to go to the bathroom or have to do somehting unexpected. So for an example you lose food if your rding, by attacking and killing stuff and in certain areas (quests and stuff) ect. and not while your pking or playing chess or in AH ect.

For survivability i am almost full agreed with it, although its a ton easier for a caster than a meleer. I would like to see more benefits for a meleer since your strong and burly you should be more resistant to poison and slow ect due to them being strong and tough, and mages more to confusion and slow and stuff because there frail and more brainy.

I think there should be more diversity in the game maybe with certain guilds like there is with the rangers. For example monks make humans/halflings/giants ect. use staffs and martial arts and stuff have some DR for being used to pain and a diff side that give the med and haling and stuff for the more magic classes. This can be applied to most guilds (Monks, rouges, mages, paladins). Also you could make it that when you can specialize into a profession that does not take up your skills for combat, and as you lv. it gets better and you could have many there (blacksmiths, enchanters, tanners, cooks, alchemists ect.). For addition in general, if your making the game more group based you should add a healers guild or something that specializes in keeping teammates alive and giving resists and food and stuff.

All around coming back to the game after my hiatus with other games and and stuff, wyvern has a homely fee to it that you don't get with most other games, and i love the improvements and think that that they should continue.

Rabitz - human pally lv. 21 BANNED
golgren - fire giant cavie lv. 18 BANNED
erebus - lion axeman lv. 25 BANNED
subere - dwarf axeman lv. 18
tyranos - fire giant pally lv. 27
happyrabitz - halfling ranger lv 28 RETIRED
Ulin - human mage lv 25
habrab - human rogue lv 23
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Newnagaraga has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Pshh I stopped caring about XP when I died to a blue crab....at level 22.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnagaraga View Post
Pshh I stopped caring about XP when I died to a blue crab....at level 22.
Try drowning at level 28.. twice.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Level 26 mage that died to gore 4 times in a row by wrath of the gods, and then the server reset before gore started running. Fail?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Level 28 mage with 45 mil tnl...just saying

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)