Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Earthquake is a monster only "spell".

Just see it more as an ability than as a real spell. That certain monsters can cause earthquakes and that it's implemented as a spell does not mean it is an actual spell.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Well, pushing the Earthquake idea aside. I Would love to see a spell that can create a sand pit or something that slows the enemy down for a few seconds. The spell could be designed so that the more Earth the user has it has the longer the slow is in effect.

It would just cast the spell Slow, when some comes in contact with the trap. A slow trap?

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.

Last edited by Harbringer Of Good Stuff : 04-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

And this would better then the slow spell because....
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

In my opinion frostwave is used to kill off low level monsters surrounding a mage. Earthquake is a buff version of frostwave. The way I see it, I wouldn't want to get that close to the monsters that I would be using earthquake on. I don't know about you axemen, but standing next to a maralith or boneclaw is not something I try to do. So in theory, earthquake would be nice, but only for PK.

As far as PK goes I believe mages are at a severe disadvantage considering how easy it is to resist against them. This is where some people say "don't be a fire/water mage" then again there aren't as many offensive spells in the other elements. This is where find weakness comes in, but then again it's hard to have find weakness and still be well rounded to do PvE as well unless you have all of the best mage gear.

In my opinion, a good spell to add for earth seeing as how it is a support element would be something like earth armor. Which I believe was said earlier except I didn't like the idea of creating a piece of magic armor in your inventory that you wear (like magic whip). Perhaps name it something like "Stone Skin" actually, and have it set the casters AC to a specific amount seeing as how AC works now. It would serve as a normal resist with a duration like resist petrify and perhaps be a lore 6 spell depending on what the AC buff is. Another idea for this would be to allow a spell like this to increase the amount of AC it grants depending on the earth skill of the mage, like the resist fire/water/shock spells do. A spell like this would be very helpful both in PvP and PvE.

Earth would be very nice if there were some more offensive spells. Considering the talk about adding specializations to the mages guild. People would only specialize in fire or water considering earth and air are "support" elements. I believe Death, Mind, Spirit, and Life should be the support elements, and fire, water, earth, and air should be the main offensive elements. It would allow for more personalized mages instead of the standard fire and water mages. Which the reason fire and ice are the most pursued is because battling a high level monster with dragon breath means you need fire resists, and battling a high level monster with icestorm means you need water resists. Aside from liquishock dragons, spyridoula, Arilou's AD, and an array of live quest monsters, having shock and fear of earth spells isn't a common thing. This is where air and earth could be abandoned and a mage could rely on potion resists.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Morwen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

@Rarkvar: However Fire/Water mages lack an amazing amount of utility for their firepower. A mage focusing soley on a single element (Fire, water or air) has greater ability to clear lesser monsters when focusing on the first two but lacks the ability to survive given by the utility of air, while air still cranks out a fair amount of damage (though in a linear fashion).

(On the subject of resists, correct me if I'm wrong, but Find Weakness has the potential to bypass resists. Again, I might be wrong.)

Stone Skin sounds like a nicer version of my armor idea, a "physical resist". It would fit perfectly into the support focus on Earth and make a group's meathsield that much harder to kill.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Just to throw this out there, if my ideas work well for my planned fire/earth mage then it will have higher damage output than a fire/water mage but with different tactics. I think that it's tough to give a good opinion on earth magic without having played an earth mage so I plan to dedicate most of my Wyvern time to my new mage.

I would definitely use a "Slow Trap" spell that works similar a magic mine, with a much smaller radius capability, that casts Slow in a radius around where it's placed when someone steps on it or 15 seconds pass and it has a high(er) chance to go through slow resistance. Lore 12 would be fair with a reagent costing about 250gp but that, of course, would not be up to me.

I'll go out on a limb here and state that earthquake will never become available to players except through use of a (rare) magical item. (I believe there is a scroll or potion of earthquake that was obtained through the Summer Feast?)

I have actually considered suggesting the "Stone Skin" type spell but it'd have to be extremely limited and only capable of being cast on yourself to be viable. Specifically, I can see ranger conjurers getting earth magic simply to resist melee (stone skin) and cast strength. I don't see melee type damage being intended to be easily resisted since melees can only attack 1 target at a time and take risks by charging in next to the enemy to attack and archers have to aim to hit their target and can frequently miss. This also sounded like a very unoriginal idea so (due to crushing boredom) I instead began work on possible ideas for balance if the mage's guild split into specialties.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracco View Post
Just to throw this out there, if my ideas work well for my planned fire/earth mage then it will have higher damage output than a fire/water mage but with different tactics. I think that it's tough to give a good opinion on earth magic without having played an earth mage so I plan to dedicate most of my Wyvern time to my new mage.

I would definitely use a "Slow Trap" spell that works similar a magic mine, with a much smaller radius capability, that casts Slow in a radius around where it's placed when someone steps on it or 15 seconds pass and it has a high(er) chance to go through slow resistance. Lore 12 would be fair with a reagent costing about 250gp but that, of course, would not be up to me.

I'll go out on a limb here and state that earthquake will never become available to players except through use of a (rare) magical item. (I believe there is a scroll or potion of earthquake that was obtained through the Summer Feast?)

I have actually considered suggesting the "Stone Skin" type spell but it'd have to be extremely limited and only capable of being cast on yourself to be viable. Specifically, I can see ranger conjurers getting earth magic simply to resist melee (stone skin) and cast strength. I don't see melee type damage being intended to be easily resisted since melees can only attack 1 target at a time and take risks by charging in next to the enemy to attack and archers have to aim to hit their target and can frequently miss. This also sounded like a very unoriginal idea so (due to crushing boredom) I instead began work on possible ideas for balance if the mage's guild split into specialties.

The slow trap would be a nice addition if it was implemented correctly. But would it be considered a trap that is detectable?

Also, about the stone skin idea, wouldnt meleer's get the most advantage out of it? Assuming it just increases AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
In my opinion frostwave is used to kill off low level monsters surrounding a mage. Earthquake is a buff version of frostwave. The way I see it, I wouldn't want to get that close to the monsters that I would be using earthquake on. I don't know about you axemen, but standing next to a maralith or boneclaw is not something I try to do. So in theory, earthquake would be nice, but only for PK.

As far as PK goes I believe mages are at a severe disadvantage considering how easy it is to resist against them. This is where some people say "don't be a fire/water mage" then again there aren't as many offensive spells in the other elements. This is where find weakness comes in, but then again it's hard to have find weakness and still be well rounded to do PvE as well unless you have all of the best mage gear.

In my opinion, a good spell to add for earth seeing as how it is a support element would be something like earth armor. Which I believe was said earlier except I didn't like the idea of creating a piece of magic armor in your inventory that you wear (like magic whip). Perhaps name it something like "Stone Skin" actually, and have it set the casters AC to a specific amount seeing as how AC works now. It would serve as a normal resist with a duration like resist petrify and perhaps be a lore 6 spell depending on what the AC buff is. Another idea for this would be to allow a spell like this to increase the amount of AC it grants depending on the earth skill of the mage, like the resist fire/water/shock spells do. A spell like this would be very helpful both in PvP and PvE.

Earth would be very nice if there were some more offensive spells. Considering the talk about adding specializations to the mages guild. People would only specialize in fire or water considering earth and air are "support" elements. I believe Death, Mind, Spirit, and Life should be the support elements, and fire, water, earth, and air should be the main offensive elements. It would allow for more personalized mages instead of the standard fire and water mages. Which the reason fire and ice are the most pursued is because battling a high level monster with dragon breath means you need fire resists, and battling a high level monster with icestorm means you need water resists. Aside from liquishock dragons, spyridoula, Arilou's AD, and an array of live quest monsters, having shock and fear of earth spells isn't a common thing. This is where air and earth could be abandoned and a mage could rely on potion resists.
All specializations of the mage guild MUST be able to have a good balance.I will not tolerate a specialization, that only has good support or just pure good offense.

From using my halfing mage, I realized just how much utility those 4 skill points each level was worth. I also discovered something...really amazing as a fire/water/life mage....

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.

Last edited by Harbringer Of Good Stuff : 04-12-2012 at 01:17 AM.