Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 AM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Remaking/Open Sourcing Wyvern

is it Illegal to maker a game like wyvern??? since its kinda a copy?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Too be honest I am just guessing what you meant so...no it is not illegal to be a maker of a game.

>.>
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Default lol

I meant to make a game like Wyvern.... in other words copying Wyvern
Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Astrus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Yes Josiah copying Wyvern would be illegal. You would be unable to take any art from wyvern even though some of it produced by players. Furthermore due to more recent legislations you have to be able to prove that your game is an original concept. In other words you can include key concepts but they cannot be so similar to work in an exact fashion (unless the game is restricted from US and Japanese players). Key concepts would include non-real locations, UI design (not function just layout), and game play.

I am not skilled in legalities of games but this is the guideline passed to me from someone that is. I'm sure there are many things in there that are missing and that I don't understand that could make it more or less difficult to "copy" the game.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrus View Post
Yes Josiah copying Wyvern would be illegal. You would be unable to take any art from wyvern even though some of it produced by players. Furthermore due to more recent legislations you have to be able to prove that your game is an original concept. In other words you can include key concepts but they cannot be so similar to work in an exact fashion (unless the game is restricted from US and Japanese players). Key concepts would include non-real locations, UI design (not function just layout), and game play.

I am not skilled in legalities of games but this is the guideline passed to me from someone that is. I'm sure there are many things in there that are missing and that I don't understand that could make it more or less difficult to "copy" the game.
ohhh haha I would be making my own art and everything its just the goal and stuff would be the same and the HUD and health bars weight bar hunger bar.... stuff like that..... in other words it would be the same but made by me so everything is a little different.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I had a dream of making my own game once too.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Yes, you seemed like you were 12 or so years old and posted on some forum asking people how you could make a game like Wyvern because it's so easy to do so that; A) You could just plop out a MMORPG at such a young age and, B) It's something you could learn within in the confines of a few forum posts (which the people who replied basically told you).

Edit: Sorry, I confused you with Gershore.

Amusingly, we get people with such lofty aspirations every now and then and, without fail, I have not seen one that hasn't sounded like a 12 year old. People see the game's simple 2D interface and think that it would be easy to replicate. But, it took Rhialto years to make the game; at several points, during that time, he recruited people in his life to help and, at one point, he took a year off work to focus on building the game.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Sounds about right..I may have been 13 though. My 3 friends and I were convinced we could do it. I wonder why it seemed so possible then..
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM

I think I was 16 when I "tried". The amount of work that needs to go into this project far exceeds what I'm willing to devote, especially since I'm not an artist.

Josiah if you don't have a lot of experience in building large scale applications involving a Server I would highly recommend looking into another kind of game and seek experience first. If your heart is set on developing a MMO you should check out the open source project from Mozilla http://browserquest.mozilla.org/. This is going to be one of the simplest functioning MMOs you find being it's almost entirely developed in JavaScript.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I had half of an RPG built. Not an MMO, just a single-player RPG. My laptop received damage beyond repair at the time, even the hard-drive was messed up. When I got my new laptop I lost all motivation to do it again. Trying to recreate area after area, as well as having to fine-tune all the stat's again. It happens though.

I very much enjoy coding and story writing, however, I lack the focus to stay on one project that long. It was a wonder I even put in the months upon months of effort I had in the original version.

Fun fact as well, my computer science class in highschool programmed with a somewhat ancient program you may or may not have heard of, Q-basic. It's basically a glorified command prompt. As an extra credit project, I spent weeks programming a working version of pacman. The graphics of course were nothing like the original, it more resembled the atari version. Even so, at the time I was rather proud of myself.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM

HAHAHA im 13 and im more then half way through making it i dont have a dream i have a game in beta thats like wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrus View Post
I think I was 16 when I "tried". The amount of work that needs to go into this project far exceeds what I'm willing to devote, especially since I'm not an artist.

Josiah if you don't have a lot of experience in building large scale applications involving a Server I would highly recommend looking into another kind of game and seek experience first. If your heart is set on developing a MMO you should check out the open source project from Mozilla http://browserquest.mozilla.org/. This is going to be one of the simplest functioning MMOs you find being it's almost entirely developed in JavaScript.
You dont realize I am experienced.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 PM

What you don't realize is no matter how many times you say it, no one will believe you. >.>

Geez Tesh was right.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Player Mod

It's no use brionac, he's obviously at that point in his life where he thinks he knows everything, and nobody else can possibly know what they're saying. Just let him do as he pleases and hopefully learn has he goes.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Default lol

you guys are so clueless you act as if you know me which you obviously dont.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post

Fun fact as well, my computer science class in highschool programmed with a somewhat ancient program you may or may not have heard of, Q-basic. It's basically a glorified command prompt. As an extra credit project, I spent weeks programming a working version of pacman. The graphics of course were nothing like the original, it more resembled the atari version. Even so, at the time I was rather proud of myself.
Q-basic was a great language, although I didn't like staring at a dos like screen for hours on end. I never had to use it for school but it was the platform I learned from. Have you pursued Computer Science further and experienced assembly yet? Whenever I have to (very rare) use assembly for some reason it reminds me of Q-basic.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Player Mod

I haven't taken much computer science since, but I've been looking into courses for it. The only problem is the courses I want, are offered in a different city, and I didn't want to move. I'll probably suck it up and move though.

As for what I can use, I only know Q-basic, and HTML, but then again, HTML is quite easy to use.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I hypothesize R will have the game back up and running before Josiah can create a game equivalent to the greatness of NV alone.

Go go go.

Also, the game will come back March 15 of last year.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Loooolll

mine cant even be the same but mine i have no doubt will be up way before the end of the year unlike wyvern.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*looks at Arilou* Coders have to know how to type, spell and correctly punctuate, right?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Meh, maybe I could recreate New Verden in DSSC....and get networking working...

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.