Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM

bullsaxe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Human Pally

Before the servers went down I remember retraining my mage into a pally with incomplete stats (Something like 18 swords 12 strenght 10 fw) So just incomplete for a lvl 24 human to fight normal high end monsters. So my question is, because I have never really specialized in any meele classes(Predominantly prefer mages) how do I structure my pally?

Sustainability: What gear, skills, spells do I get? Do I provide my own buffs through mana or do I rely on equips? Do I self heal or resist or pot up? How can I, as a pally go through MMA and rank myself up there ?

Damage: If I'm not mistaken damage wise I just have to put points into FW, STR, Swords, get myself a big 'ol sword to slice away with and perhaps a flame blade scroll for some monsters.

Also what distinguishes pallies(Especially humans) from other guilds; Cavemen are the tanky bruisers, rouge's are the nimble fighters and mages the distance nukers, what role do pallies serve? Front line tanks?

Looking forward to the game coming up, I know i shouldn't get excited but I can't help myself thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Akajumo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If I'm not mistaken, a paladin is the only slightly "Hybrid" fighter mage. Think of them as a tanky support, healing yourself or allies, and simultaneously taking and dishing out damage.

The more annoying the sound you make while attacking, the more powerful you are.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Nah back in the old days, everyone would heal themselves, thankfully they removed spam healing.

Armour: You'll want armour with +10 agility, and +10 armour(if you can swing it). With AC fixed, +armour really helps, but personally I still count the +10 agility as more important on the item. You may also want DSM of particular types to help you resist, keep in mind that you may get stuck with them on if you're cursed. However, if you're in a curse free zone, switching DSM's is a viable resist type, though quite heavy.

Also, bags of great holding are invaluable. They can store an extremely large number of items(based on weight), and cut down the weight of the items while they're in the bag. My stone giant has around 10 bags of great holding, and they're so handy.

As for weapons, you'll probably end up using a lot of mithril swords. Diamond swords are preferable if you can find a smith, but generally mithril swords are easier to acquire. Elemental blade scrolls can be handy, but apparently they wear your weapon out fast, so don't use them too freely.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
Nah back in the old days, everyone would heal themselves, thankfully they removed spam healing.

Armour: You'll want armour with +10 agility, and +10 armour(if you can swing it). With AC fixed, +armour really helps, but personally I still count the +10 agility as more important on the item. You may also want DSM of particular types to help you resist, keep in mind that you may get stuck with them on if you're cursed. However, if you're in a curse free zone, switching DSM's is a viable resist type, though quite heavy.

Also, bags of great holding are invaluable. They can store an extremely large number of items(based on weight), and cut down the weight of the items while they're in the bag. My stone giant has around 10 bags of great holding, and they're so handy.

As for weapons, you'll probably end up using a lot of mithril swords. Diamond swords are preferable if you can find a smith, but generally mithril swords are easier to acquire. Elemental blade scrolls can be handy, but apparently they wear your weapon out fast, so don't use them too freely.
At level 24, he can use platinum. There are several ways you can go about getting resisted/healing. To be honest, major healing (6 lore) is all you need for a human paladin. Here are the most viable options I see:

1. Self spell resist + spell heal. This limits your power since you can't max out swords/fw/strength, but increases your survivability considerably. wear platinum or agility armors, with resist rings. This is the build I used for Then as a paladin, and I could still take down mobs quite fast with an Amethyst sword.

2. Spell heal with DSM and use potions. This option is most favored for max damage/survivability ratio, but your main issue is the inconsistency of healing and dispelling while bungling. I would have to say that this method would be favored. Potions get pretty expensive, but shouldn't be that big of an issue as long as you know where to make money.

3. Skill heal, bungle city. Don't use spells at all. Basically a caveman with less HP. this maxes damage and gives you access to all armors, but limits your survivability considerably (unless you destroy everything quick enough). Can use healing potions when necessary.

Apart from those 3, there aren't any big variations. Some people try to mix a bit of 2 and 3. Sirkeaghin had the most success with 2, who i would consider the expert. If you have any questions about specifics, let me know.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Outside of naming yourself Irlazy there is no way to become an awesome pally but I can pass along a few pointers. First off decide what you want from your pally. Since you get bonus to life magic its very possible to train fire/water and self buff. Though you will have to train out of negatives meaning you essentially have 10 less skill points to throw around and takes a bit from your offensive abilities but gain independence while training. Maybe you want to be more of a support character so you train a few more life points and learn healing spells to assist your RD partners. Maybe you want to focus on DPS and rely on a resist mage so you max out swords, fw, and strength and buy a bunch of 10 agili 10 armor items (make sure one is a black dsm!!). In most cases you will probably depend on grouping as pallies are mostly support classes but if you want to go through the hassle of training fire/water you can make a pretty solid RD machine and mostly just have to worry about dray in dungeons. Anyway if you need any more help I will be waiting outside of MAH for the game to open up again with about a dozen kegs.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Alright I appreciate the feedback, I took the time to read all you had to say and while appreciative I am, I'm also slightly disappointed.

My goal as a pally was to go through an rd not even worrying about what's going to be below because I could truck through it, but now I'm realizing in order for that to be a reality I need a full plat set, d pro ammy, omni resist rings, and a lot of money invested into self resists. All this, especially going into the game after this long break is going to be frustrating :/. As it was my only real means of making money was going through a RD and finding pretties to sell back to vendors with 5 merch, slowly but surely over a month I could afford 1 plat helm :/. So this is going to be tough. Not to mention the gem blades X_x.

On a side note I have an opinionated question; I converted because I feel that mage's fall off late game, they shine the best mid-midlate-earlylate but after that they don't even scale compared to fighter's since if you'd want to beat a mage you buy a potion and that reduces their damage so dramatically they arn't viably efficient late game. This is just my opinion. Thoughts?

P.S. I got more replies than I was hoping for glad to see the community is still committed to the game (Y).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsaxe View Post
My goal as a pally was to go through an rd not even worrying about what's going to be below because I could truck through it

Yeah this.. this is why Rds were somewhat fixed and need a complete re-write. You should never be able to do this in an un-ending XP/Money pit.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Morwen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
On a side note I have an opinionated question; I converted because I feel that mage's fall off late game, they shine the best mid-midlate-earlylate but after that they don't even scale compared to fighter's since if you'd want to beat a mage you buy a potion and that reduces their damage so dramatically they arn't viably efficient late game. This is just my opinion. Thoughts?
Find Weakness is awesome.

Also, if you don't want to worry about what's on the next floor train 20 Spirit Travel. It's awesome too.

EDIT: You forgot about the archer glass cannons.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Don't be too disappointed I do believe that us pallies are some of the top fighters out there and next to rangers the most versatile. The hp, sword, strength, and life magic bonuses make us pallies a mages friend and in some cases a solo character. Also don't worry about a gemmy TOO much. As awesome as they are they still aren't so far ahead that plat swords or even diamond swords aren't worth using. If you can find elec swords those are awesome too *hugs bag of elec swords* And also plat swords are relatively cheap at the point where the game crashed due to there being a fair few in circulation. Anyway keep at it you won't regret becoming a pally. Also I wouldn't say mages get outclassed late in the game really. Some of the strongest active characters left out there are mages.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

If I were to make a paladin, would a Fire Giant be a good choice?
What about halfings,pixies,dwarves, and stonies?

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Alright I appreciate the feedback, I took the time to read all you had to say and while appreciative I am, I'm also slightly disappointed.

My goal as a pally was to go through an rd not even worrying about what's going to be below because I could truck through it, but now I'm realizing in order for that to be a reality I need a full plat set, d pro ammy, omni resist rings, and a lot of money invested into self resists. All this, especially going into the game after this long break is going to be frustrating :/. As it was my only real means of making money was going through a RD and finding pretties to sell back to vendors with 5 merch, slowly but surely over a month I could afford 1 plat helm :/. So this is going to be tough. Not to mention the gem blades X_x.

P.S. I got more replies than I was hoping for glad to see the community is still committed to the game (Y).
Mages really don't fall off late game. in fact, that's when they can truly shine. You can have perfect resists, with enough find weakness to pack a punch. That's why I won at least 5 lqs in one week on Then.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
If I were to make a paladin, would a Fire Giant be a good choice?
What about halfings,pixies,dwarves, and stonies?
A Fire Giant would be a pretty good Paladin. If you want the best.. Halfling obviously Over powered race in an over powered guild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
Mages really don't fall off late game. in fact, that's when they can truly shine. You can have perfect resists, with enough find weakness to pack a punch. That's why I won at least 5 lqs in one week on Then.
I think mages are normally on par or above par with melees in PvM since you really run no risk of dying unless you are really bad/get stuck where you can't move or teleport. This especially holds true late game as you get all of your elements up as well as FW as Frosten said.

Last edited by Exile : 06-07-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM

PvM mages aren't really at par unless they are roaming around in a map where they know the dangers, which is usually the case but the basis of my argument is that if you have a mage vs meele go into a unknown area, let's say a RD and see who survives longer I would argue that meele would more often have much stronger survivability:
(In case of human)
-Resist pots
-Natural high health pool
-Naturally high AC and resists from equips
-Resist scrolls
-Being able to dish out high amounts of damage to almost every monster
While mages can only be effective against monsters who they aren't weak against, lets say get a fire mage against a fire shogh and the mage is trumped while the meele can cut it down by just drinking a pot.

Now they both have to fight against what they can damage like I understand not all meele's can fight a diamond golem or similiar but most high tier or late game monsters have naturally a higher resistance to mages than they do too meele.

Some people say that because mages don't have a naturally high health pool and can't sustain as much damage they have escapes built into their class choice, such as teleport or escape hole, but teleport can easily get you into a worse situation and hole is an item and everyone benefits from it, even meele. Mages also have the highest disadvantage when it comes to random summon traps because if you step on one of those babies without having a tremendously high ac, like from full plat, you'll get devoured by mono's or ghasts or what have you.

Also PvP is not even comparable since mages have to burst, hope they don't get caught, and hope they don't have sustain, which most do, all while having their damage trumped by 300 gold or a resist pot, while conversely for mages to trump their damage it's a lot more gold intensive.

That's been my experience in the game anyway, my highest character was a 24 human archmage. I've also had the benefit of experiencing a 22 naga and 20 rakasha and I remember the overall experience to be a lot safer and slower with mages and a lot more dangerous and faster with meele.

Last edited by bullsaxe : 06-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
PvM mages aren't really at par unless they are roaming around in a map where they know the dangers, which is usually the case but the basis of my argument is that if you have a mage vs meele go into a unknown area, let's say a RD and see who survives longer I would argue that meele would more often have much stronger survivability:
(In case of human)
-Resist pots
-Natural high health pool
-Naturally high AC and resists from equips
-Resist scrolls
-Being able to dish out high amounts of damage to almost every monster
While mages can only be effective against monsters who they aren't weak against, lets say get a fire mage against a fire shogh and the mage is trumped while the meele can cut it down by just drinking a pot.

Now they both have to fight against what they can damage like I understand not all meele's can fight a diamond golem or similiar but most high tier or late game monsters have naturally a higher resistance to mages than they do too meele.

Some people say that because mages don't have a naturally high health pool and can't sustain as much damage they have escapes built into their class choice, such as teleport or escape hole, but teleport can easily get you into a worse situation and hole is an item and everyone benefits from it, even meele. Mages also have the highest disadvantage when it comes to random summon traps because if you step on one of those babies without having a tremendously high ac, like from full plat, you'll get devoured by mono's or ghasts or what have you.

Also PvP is not even comparable since mages have to burst, hope they don't get caught, and hope they don't have sustain, which most do, all while having their damage trumped by 300 gold or a resist pot, while conversely for mages to trump their damage it's a lot more gold intensive.

That's been my experience in the game anyway, my highest character was a 24 human archmage. I've also had the benefit of experiencing a 22 naga and 20 rakasha and I remember the overall experience to be a lot safer and slower with mages and a lot more dangerous and faster with meele.
Whew.

First, most mages do not spec in only one element because doing so limits them tremendously. My Mage, for example, Has skills and spells in every element.

As for RDing, I'd have to say mages have the upper hand. I say this for one big reason: death ray. It's a ton easier to blast a reaper safely than tank him and risk automatic death. I haven't had too much trouble hitting summon traps, you don't even have to teleport usually. In terms of monsters, the only mob I really have to skip is a diamond golem because it takes way too long with acid dart.

PvP: mages are very elusive. The whole resist issue makes it a ton more tactical and fun. For example, when I pk I use every element and try to find the chink in their armor. Several only worry about fire and water, but not air. If their resists are ridiculous, I let them waste potions and try for slowing method. Generally speaking, DB usually works well.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
Some people say that because mages don't have a naturally high health pool and can't sustain as much damage they have escapes built into their class choice, such as teleport or escape hole, but teleport can easily get you into a worse situation and hole is an item and everyone benefits from it, even meele.
Most mages use mana shield which gives them about the same health as any meleer...
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

a smart mage with a good connection should never die in pvp.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

A pvp mage should use blink,teleport, and recall to escape from foes.
Mana shield is a MUST, and high dodge also helps...
A good mage keeps spamming spells...til their opponents resists run out

Its also handy to have a rod of thunderstorm or wand handy..or even db wand .. I tend to have plenty of them...

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.

Last edited by Harbringer Of Good Stuff : 07-21-2012 at 12:34 AM.