Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 AM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Amethyst

This whole post is very rambling. New paragraph means new topic. I could be jumping anywhere related to obsidian. Be prepared.

I am glad you cleared that up a little. After your first post, I was afraid people would chalk up Obsidian to being little more than black glass, which, in a way it is. However there is so much more you can do with it. It would be a shame if the possibility were passed up simply because it was "glass".

I am also glad that you picked up on the fact that Obsidian's qualities bear some unique characteristics. It could be very effective in armor/defense override (ORCUS), but is very true that it is not durable, because blades made of it are very thin. In this sense it almost balances itself out, because you pay a fairly significant amount of money (Maybe 3k for a dagger, 8k for everything else) in auction for a plain Obsidian Weapon that can be extremely powerful depending on the situation, but at the same time lasts only a short while.

Another question would be, "Can you repair weapons made from it?" My thought would be not without magic. If you can imagine taking an extremely damaged piece of extra-strong glass, heating it, and hitting it repeatedly with a heavy hammer.... yeah. That would probably break it.

While I am continuing this rant that is going 5 million different directions, Rarkvar has PMd me a second image that I hope he posts here, which shows some potential Obsidian Golems (Darker Iron Golems with red eyes - What if they had heat recoil?). This brought up an new question. Should these guys drop slabs or some equivalent drop? I don't know. I feel like either the golems or the walls should, but not both. Obsidian should be a fairly difficult material to obtain, like mithril, and making monsters AND the terrain drop it certainly is not in line with that thinking.

Then we have money to consider. Natural obsidian, if it appears might be worth, what, an average of 100 gold if it is undamaged? What about slabs - 5k shop value? I mentioned weapons somewhere earlier in this post as well.

Going back to the terrain considerations, what if it appears as something besides a wall? Does it slow? Does it damage? I think no on the first one, but fire damage to the second question. After all, it is going to be very hot if you find it naturally.

Of course, the idea for Obsidian Terrain lies at the center of all of this, and without it, the rest of it is unlikely to happen. I hope we all don't forget this in our excitement over new weapons and monsters. While that is more fun, we have tons of that already, and not as many terrain variants, and the variant I showed above in my post that is accompanied by an image certainly is new terrain AND adds a new dimension to battles.

Phew. That was a long rant. If one of you moderators wants to delete it, please let me know that it is unacceptable instead, so I can rearrange my thoughts, but still have the original content so I don't have to go through it all and remember everything I said again.

Last edited by kiez : 03-08-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 AM

goonyton has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiez View Post
This whole post is very rambling. New paragraph means new topic. I could be jumping anywhere related to obsidian. Be prepared.
Phew. That was a long rant. If one of you moderators wants to delete it, please let me know that it is unacceptable instead, so I can rearrange my thoughts, but still have the original content so I don't have to go through it all and remember everything I said again.
Looks good to me, I do not see why a MOD would want to mess with the post.

I think you have a good idea. Below I will relate what I know about Obsidian. In game you can do what you want, but there is a lot that can be done here just coping the real world.

As a weapon
In the real world I know of two ways to make a blade or knife out of Obsidian. You get a piece of Obsidian the size of your hand or smaller and you can make one or more sharp edges by breaking the Obsidian against another rock(knapping). What you end up with is often something you hold in the palm of your hand. The sharpness makes it great for cleaning hides. Not so great in a fight, it is two short and the way you have to hold it, you would be ahead to use your fist.

The other way is to make a lot of small very thin pieces with sharp edges and bind them between two boards. I have never seen that done, but I have heard of it.

Where Obsidian is great is arrow and spear heads. The Indians around where I live have made and lost lots of these. I have found hundreds and some of them are real pieces of art. I have never used one as intended, but it looks like it should work.

Repairing Obsidian I doubt it. If it shatters you have nothing to repair, you could use the pieces and make the second kind of weapon above, that is about it. If the edge gets damaged the only way to repair it is to reknap it. At best you end up with something much smaller than what you started with.

Terrain considerations.

Where does the idea of it needing to be hot come from? Infact to create Obsidian the lava needs to be cooled very fast, other wise it crystalizes and you end up with something else. The biggest Obsidian flow in the world is a short trip from my house and it is beside a lake. If you ask a geologist they will tell it when it was formed the lake was bigger and the flow was under the lake.

Walking across it is not fun, think shale with a lot of sharp edges and ups and downs. Does it damage, yes. It will ruin a pair of shoes very fast and if you fall you will hurt yourself, most of the time cut, but pierce damage is possible to.

Walking on Obsidian is very slow and has a lot of cut damage. No fire damage unless it is a hot day, then you may burn yourself, but that is nothing compared to the cut damage.

Ingame
I really like the idea of an Obsidian flow terrain(such as lava, snow ect.) It would very rare, but I could see a quest area with it. Walking on Obsidian is very slow and has a lot of cut damage. If you wear Iron boots or the like you should be fairly safe from damage.

As for weapons, spears and arrows would be very in keeping with the real world.

For creating weapons, that would be a different skill called 'Flint knapping'. No tools are needed other than two rocks and Obsidian or flint. Expect to hurt yourself from time to time while making stuff. If you have some leather on hand you can hurt yourself less. I only see spears and arrows being made as weapons and scrappers for those who collect hides.

Obsidian golem, sounds like a good idea. I do not see them dropping anything that can be used to make weapons.

To get Obsidian for making weapons would be a mini quest to an Obsidian flow.

That is my three cents.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 AM

Exclamation

Wow, you took reality to the other end of the spectrum.

My thoughts on heat damage via walking on it have changed via your comment, but some of the others I am not convinced of.

For one, if obsidian were as rare as you say it is, it defeats the original idea. The concept was that you have something new to work with in the Wyvern world, not a new, hard-to-find-but-fairly-"powerful " item drop. In my very first post, I said that the goal of this was to get new interactions essentially, not create a new class of super powerful stuff. There is enough of that, and it is surprising how much fun can be added through the mundane -
*coughEL-LEGOcough*.

Now, as for the other parts of walking on it... I think requiring iron boots to avoid damage is a little extreme. There comes a point in which there are so many things to deal with, armor just can't keep up. You have WW Boots for those who don't have fly, FW Boots for lava, SB for snow, and the list goes on for other armor. Then you have the whole destroying boots business. That is what rust traps are for, and man, that would really stink if my +10 agility +9 boots of FW were to suddenly disintegrate because I had to walk over some obsidian to finish a quest . While, yes, it is more realistic, there does come a point where implementing reality means that your creation is no longer enjoyable and in fact begins to drag things backwards.

As for creating weapons: As with all my posts not related to it being a breakable block, I will give the disclaimer that this is secondary. My thoughts bear similarities to the last paragraph. Requiring leather gloves seems a bit ridiculous, and what happens with leather gloves? Do those get destroyed? Additionally, having to train an entirely new skill to create obsidian weapons would be expensive, a huge Skill Point drain, and simply not worth it to all but the most avid of merchants. It would be better to simply keep the skill as Blacksmith. However adding rocks to the process might be interesting. It would certainly give me reason to keep some of the rocks I am constantly autograbbing...

However, I would like to reiterate to you that walking on obsidian is still also a secondary thought. My main idea that I really want to get across for discussions/to the wizards is the possibility of obsidian walls - Breakable Walls that fit in with lava themed areas, and also happen to blend in with their environment - a.k.a. a new way to create hidden walls that functions differently than the ones currently in place now. (For example, see my post that contains a link at the top of it)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonyton View Post
Have you guys ever seen obsidian? It is glass. Yes, it is extremely sharp. Give me 10 minutes and I can knap you a knife out of it that is sharper than steel. Depending on what you are cutting it wears down pretty fast though and if hit wrong shatters. It is hard to attach to a handle, so most of the time you end up holding a piece of glass in your hand with 1 sharp edge on the side away from your hand.

For stats think glass.

Easy to smash, very hard to cut or pierce. Shock has no effect, Fire no effect until you get it extremely hot and it sort of bubbles and melts. Cold makes it more brittal, but in itself does not damage it.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling.
I think I'm the only person who sat in Earth Science and tried to break the obsidian that we had. It's not as fragile as glass.

I think the resistances that I posted were decent when if you take into consideration a random dungeon with obsidian blocks for doors. No one is going to want to sit there and struggle to break one door. It would take ages to clear one floor. Now if you have two different types of obsidian that would make sense. Meaning, in wyvern earthblocks can have set hp, most of the time they have 30, but this number can be adjusted. Point, it's possible to have in one area, a block that takes you five hits to smash, and in another area there is a block that takes you 50 hits to smash.

In your quest "example", I would set the value to the obsidian on the upper end to maybe 3,000, that way the player spends much more time going through it. As for the ones near the demon lord, 500-1,000 would seem logical.

From everyones responses, it sounds like obsidian would be better in blade form. For rogues. Seeing as how if it's very hard to attach to a handle, then making a long sword out of it is won't work. Daggers are good stab/pierce damage.

So I believe if there were an obsidian material/theme in the game, the walls would be more durable than the regular earth walls, it should have decent, but not too high, fire resistance, higher cold resists, and slightly less shock resists. High durability to smash and stab damage, lower durability to cut damage.

Oh, and kiez wanted me to post this
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM

The more I think about it (I haven't slept tonight...), the more I am starting to agree that Obsidian should not be super difficult to chop/blast through like initially thought, even though I don't think I verbalized that. Reading the critique that Rarkvar gave regarding the function of Obsidian in my sample map really stuck me. I wanted Obsidian to be some super-dense substance that took considerable (but not outright ridiculous) time to break through, but Rarkvar is right. In some cases, less health/shorter break time is more enjoyable and/or fits better with the game. I hope that this stays in (at least) my mind while this thread continues. It is all ultimately about being enjoyable.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonyton View Post
Looks good to me, I do not see why a MOD would want to mess with the post.

I think you have a good idea. Below I will relate what I know about Obsidian. In game you can do what you want, but there is a lot that can be done here just coping the real world.

As a weapon
In the real world I know of two ways to make a blade or knife out of Obsidian. You get a piece of Obsidian the size of your hand or smaller and you can make one or more sharp edges by breaking the Obsidian against another rock(knapping). What you end up with is often something you hold in the palm of your hand. The sharpness makes it great for cleaning hides. Not so great in a fight, it is two short and the way you have to hold it, you would be ahead to use your fist.

The other way is to make a lot of small very thin pieces with sharp edges and bind them between two boards. I have never seen that done, but I have heard of it.

Where Obsidian is great is arrow and spear heads. The Indians around where I live have made and lost lots of these. I have found hundreds and some of them are real pieces of art. I have never used one as intended, but it looks like it should work.

Repairing Obsidian I doubt it. If it shatters you have nothing to repair, you could use the pieces and make the second kind of weapon above, that is about it. If the edge gets damaged the only way to repair it is to reknap it. At best you end up with something much smaller than what you started with.

Terrain considerations.

Where does the idea of it needing to be hot come from? Infact to create Obsidian the lava needs to be cooled very fast, other wise it crystalizes and you end up with something else. The biggest Obsidian flow in the world is a short trip from my house and it is beside a lake. If you ask a geologist they will tell it when it was formed the lake was bigger and the flow was under the lake.

Walking across it is not fun, think shale with a lot of sharp edges and ups and downs. Does it damage, yes. It will ruin a pair of shoes very fast and if you fall you will hurt yourself, most of the time cut, but pierce damage is possible to.

Walking on Obsidian is very slow and has a lot of cut damage. No fire damage unless it is a hot day, then you may burn yourself, but that is nothing compared to the cut damage.

Ingame
I really like the idea of an Obsidian flow terrain(such as lava, snow ect.) It would very rare, but I could see a quest area with it. Walking on Obsidian is very slow and has a lot of cut damage. If you wear Iron boots or the like you should be fairly safe from damage.

As for weapons, spears and arrows would be very in keeping with the real world.

For creating weapons, that would be a different skill called 'Flint knapping'. No tools are needed other than two rocks and Obsidian or flint. Expect to hurt yourself from time to time while making stuff. If you have some leather on hand you can hurt yourself less. I only see spears and arrows being made as weapons and scrappers for those who collect hides.

Obsidian golem, sounds like a good idea. I do not see them dropping anything that can be used to make weapons.

To get Obsidian for making weapons would be a mini quest to an Obsidian flow.

That is my three cents.
You have some pretty smart ideas, but let's be honest here, the lands of wyvern are much different than anything in the real world. There are plenty of volcano's throughout the land. Here's a good introduction for an obsidian area (if one were made)

"The frozen lands in the northern continent were shaken and rocked today as a great, dormant, volcano erupted. The ash has covered the mountainous region of the northeastern section of the continent, and due to the bone chilling temperatures, Obsidian caves and deposits have appeared throughout the area.

Some adventurers have begun to colonize the areas that lack volcanic activity. These adventurers found that the obsidian ore can be used to craft fine daggers and sharp arrows, at the cost of exploring the deep obsidian caves, that is.

Use caution when exploring these lands, as there is plenty of fire, magma, and sharp obsidian deposits covering the ground."

Something of that sort isn't that complicated, and it makes sense. magma needs to be cooled rapidly to form obsidian? Well then the volcano or magma veins should be located in areas that are cold. Such as the northern continent and probably the mid-western section of the map, seeing as how it's the only section absent from jungles and deserts.

So now that its, "in game", we need weapons and monsters and all of that cool stuff.

The weapon line I see for this is arrows, blades/daggers/ shortswords, spear heads, and maybe even a club. Seeing as how I'm sure a thick amount of obsidian would be very durable. It's harder to break than glass is, after all.

As for repairing. I don't see why it cannot be repaired. Think about it, if your sword has cracked and become dull because you've been using it a lot, then where do you get the material to repair this? You don't have to have melted down metal in your inventory. It's simple to repair things in wyvern. What if the blade is just dull and you have to resharpen it? I don't see a problem in repairing obsidian. If there is a problem, make it unrepairable and more durable to balance it out.

As far as monsters and forging weapons. Why wouldn't you get it from an "obsidian golem"? The rule of thumb (from the wiz manuel) is one piece of loot per three monsters, or less (preferably less). That way you cannot just enter a map, risk nothing, and be rewarded. That takes the fun out of things. Give obsidian golems firespray and make them drop obsidian slabs or obsidian shards for arrows. I'm sure if you killed an a golem you could use it's body to forge any weapon. I think it's a better idea than the possibility of breaking through walls and picking obsidian loot up. I would just farm breakable walls all day long. It's unbalanced.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
As far as monsters and forging weapons. Why wouldn't you get it from an "obsidian golem"? The rule of thumb (from the wiz manuel) is one piece of loot per three monsters, or less (preferably less). That way you cannot just enter a map, risk nothing, and be rewarded. That takes the fun out of things. Give obsidian golems firespray and make them drop obsidian slabs or obsidian shards for arrows. I'm sure if you killed an a golem you could use it's body to forge any weapon. I think it's a better idea than the possibility of breaking through walls and picking obsidian loot up. I would just farm breakable walls all day long. It's unbalanced.
I gave some consideration to this, and ultimately it was a toss up for me to decide which would drop obsidian for the following reason: I think obsidian should wear down your weapon at a MUCH increased rate. If normal walls wear down your axe/sword/whatever by 1hp per hit, my thought is that it should be 7 or 8 hp to break through obsidian walls. Additionally, I felt like obsidian walls would only drop obsidian maybe 4% of the time (1 in 25 chance for you who hate math). Combined with what would be the relative infrequency of obsidian compared to normal dirt walls, I think that the added weapon damage could be a trade off for dangerless obsidian. What you gain in slabs you repay for a good portion via weapon repair. Especially if you use diamond or platinum. Additionally, Obsidian Slabs would have very low health, so just one firebolt too many could easily destroy the loot. This is why I was earlier hesitant to make dig spells useful, because it overrode the concessions a player would be forced to make. Of course, the other way works as well. I just chose to list one, which I happened to feel was a little more original.

I think this thread is progressing nicely. With a few more constructive posts I think it will be time to formally submit it in-game.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
I gave some consideration to this, and ultimately it was a toss up for me to decide which would drop obsidian for the following reason: I think obsidian should wear down your weapon at a MUCH increased rate. If normal walls wear down your axe/sword/whatever by 1hp per hit, my thought is that it should be 7 or 8 hp to break through obsidian walls. Additionally, I felt like obsidian walls would only drop obsidian maybe 4% of the time (1 in 25 chance for you who hate math). Combined with what would be the relative infrequency of obsidian compared to normal dirt walls, I think that the added weapon damage could be a trade off for dangerless obsidian. What you gain in slabs you repay for a good portion via weapon repair. Especially if you use diamond or platinum. Additionally, Obsidian Slabs would have very low health, so just one firebolt too many could easily destroy the loot. This is why I was earlier hesitant to make dig spells useful, because it overrode the concessions a player would be forced to make. Of course, the other way works as well. I just chose to list one, which I happened to feel was a little more original.

I think this thread is progressing nicely. With a few more constructive posts I think it will be time to formally submit it in-game.
This is how I see it.
If a normal earth wall takes 5 hits to break, at 1hp per hit, that will of course be 5 hp from your weapon.
Realistically it's probably 5 hits to break at 1 hp per 20 hits so four earth walls for 1 damage. So 400 earth walls to break a weapon, correct? Assuming the weapon has 100 hp.

Now let's shift the stats for our obsidian material.
If a normal obsidian wall takes 20 hits to break, at 5hp per hit, that will of course be 100 hp from your weapon. That's not good.
Should probably be 20 hits to break at 2 hp per 30 hits so three obsidian walls for 6 damage. So 150 obsidian walls to break a weapon, correct? Assuming the weapon has 100 hp. (Should be 150... 2 hp for every 30 hits/ 1 hp for every 15, 50 blocks at 20 hits each is 100, but 30 hits for 2/100 damage should be correct >_>)

I'm no mathematician but it looks like it would be better to go fight some earth walls lol, or go well prepared. at 150 obsidian walls with a 1/25 chance to get some loot from each block, you might be able to get six pieces of loot for one weapon that has 100hp. A more realistic outlook would be 3-20 pieces of loot for 150 block though >_>

My point in doing all of those calculations would have to be at 8 hp per block, you could only destroy 12.5 blocks if you have a weapon at 100hp. Imagine doing the whirplosion mini quest with statistics like that. Not a fun thought.

Here, this might lighten your spirits
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
With a few more constructive posts I think it will be time to formally submit it in-game.
Please don't suggest the same thing both in-game and on the forum. Teshuvah and I read everything put into the idea log and this forum so you'd just be forcing us to read the same thing twice.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Now that I know for certain that you are seeing this, I will make sure not to Arilou, and also anything in the future.

Of course, Rarkvar, I am sure that the stats aren't actually that, although it is clear that I forgot just how quickly multipliers add up. Maybe doing 3x the normal damage would suffice?

Anyway, I can't imagine obsidian forming in the massive quantities shown in your map, and if there were a spot, I think it would be a good time to consider investing in some pickaxes rather than wasting your weapon. The danger of not having your preferred weapon readied would be a... risk, shall we say? And the extra investment in different digging materials would be an... investment. One suitable for earning obsidian by breaking through walls? Of course, if that idea were scratched, I would certainly say Obsidian shouldn't do extra damage to your weapon, but rather should have more health as per the original idea.

This all brings up another thought - Why can't those low level mines be redone for high level players, but with an obsidian theme? There's another random idea for you, although that belongs in another thread.

Now for your image. I got very excited when I saw there was one - overkill or not! It is really cool to be able to physically see the general idea come to fake-life. I had some ideas too, but my map editor crashed, and now will not fully load.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Now that I know for certain that you are seeing this, I will make sure not to Arilou, and also anything in the future.

Of course, Rarkvar, I am sure that the stats aren't actually that, although it is clear that I forgot just how quickly multipliers add up. Maybe doing 3x the normal damage would suffice?

Anyway, I can't imagine obsidian forming in the massive quantities shown in your map, and if there were a spot, I think it would be a good time to consider investing in some pickaxes rather than wasting your weapon. The danger of not having your preferred weapon readied would be a... risk, shall we say? And the extra investment in different digging materials would be an... investment. One suitable for earning obsidian by breaking through walls? Of course, if that idea were scratched, I would certainly say Obsidian shouldn't do extra damage to your weapon, but rather should have more health as per the original idea.

This all brings up another thought - Why can't those low level mines be redone for high level players, but with an obsidian theme? There's another random idea for you, although that belongs in another thread.

Now for your image. I got very excited when I saw there was one - overkill or not! It is really cool to be able to physically see the general idea come to fake-life. I had some ideas too, but my map editor crashed, and now will not fully load.
Think of it this way, what I made is simply a cave filled with some golems and obsidian deposits. The walls wouldn't be mineable, and with the editing of the ARCH file, they could say "The cave wall looks extremely burned here. You can see obsidian fragments that have formed on the wall, but not enough to contain value". As for the destructible blocks, those would be your actual obsidian deposits.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Right. I did figure that out - although random question. Are those Iron Golems at the entrance of your map, or some new-fangled idea you had?

Anyway, that struck me as a ton of obsidian for one map. I would think that should cover at most, 3 maps. But hey, I am not opposed to a little disagreement. I would certainly like to know why you put so much obsidian in the map.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Player Mod

You could call that the loot room if you'd like. And yes, they be iron golems. I'll make something neat and PM it to you so you can see why there's so much in that room. I guess I can post the link here if you really want, the image is going to be massive though...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 PM

PM it then. We can figure out whether or not to post it since this has basically become a joint thread between the two of us. I am trying to get my editor working so I can make a few similar maps using your darkened cave walls as the obsidian image rather than the blackened dirt walls. I am hoping that the more the wizards see, the better off the idea is. After all, the more work we do, the less work they do. And if they don't have to do a ton of work, it stands a better chance of being implemented.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Player Mod

It has been sent.
Thinking about it now, wouldn't it seem smarter to use obsidian near water? All of the images I've posted have been in caves where lava and heat are the core themes, yet obsidian in a way is the absence of heat. Seems like it would be better used under water. or in a cave filled with snow and some lava/magma veins rather than inside of a volcano.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM

I think the more you think about it, the more that makes sense, but on the most basic level, it makes more sense to keep it next to lava. Plus half the idea was to add some interest to lava maps by adding breakable walls. So, yes, it factually makes more sense, but I think fact is a grounding point - not a binding point. We check our stuff to make sure we don't go off on wild tangents, not to be strictly accurate. However..... it could be found in "colder" areas provided that you can see a clear heat source nearby...

As for your image, you may want to save that if you attempt to become a wizard. If that isn't a concern, then by all means, either chop it up or post a link. I would be happy to host it on my cruddy little photobucket account or something! The image really displays how it can add to the theme and gameplay of an area.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
I think the more you think about it, the more that makes sense, but on the most basic level, it makes more sense to keep it next to lava. Plus half the idea was to add some interest to lava maps by adding breakable walls. So, yes, it factually makes more sense, but I think fact is a grounding point - not a binding point. We check our stuff to make sure we don't go off on wild tangents, not to be strictly accurate. However..... it could be found in "colder" areas provided that you can see a clear heat source nearby...

As for your image, you may want to save that if you attempt to become a wizard. If that isn't a concern, then by all means, either chop it up or post a link. I would be happy to host it on my cruddy little photobucket account or something! The image really displays how it can add to the theme and gameplay of an area.
I see what you mean. Maybe a new terrain is in order, a darker lava color with chunks of hardened magma/rock, to look like it has cooled a bit. That way there is still heat, but at the same time, the feeling that the area doesn't feel like you're on the inside of the volcano, kind of. More like that you're in the mountains of the northern continent, inside of an old iron mine that has been destroyed by an active volcano nearby. Hmm, I really should have added mine carts and rails lol.

And as for the story of Vesrayech, there was a point in time where he wanted to fly around on a broom stick, wizarding over people, but after some thought and other events occurring, he decided it was better to just run around and kill some monsters, group with friends, and get a bunch of gold. Oh, and let's not forget about teaming up with the league of super friends to vanquish all threats that smelly monsters like Archus, and Gore attempt to push on the world.

Last edited by Rarkvar : 03-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 AM

goonyton has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Very few things in games are true to the real world and I doubt that this one will be. Take the idea anywhere you want, this is an idea that should be explored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
It has been sent.
Thinking about it now, wouldn't it seem smarter to use obsidian near water? All of the images I've posted have been in caves where lava and heat are the core themes, yet obsidian in a way is the absence of heat. Seems like it would be better used under water. or in a cave filled with snow and some lava/magma veins rather than inside of a volcano.
This would be correct. Think mountains and water. I do not know of any obsidian caves, flows and deposits, yes. When you get a lava tube it is a different type of lava and does not cool fast enough to make obsidian.

Quote:
"The frozen lands in the northern continent were shaken and rocked today as a great, dormant, volcano erupted. The ash has covered the mountainous region of the northeastern section of the continent, and due to the bone chilling temperatures, Obsidian caves and deposits have appeared throughout the area.

Some adventurers have begun to colonize the areas that lack volcanic activity. These adventurers found that the obsidian ore can be used to craft fine daggers and sharp arrows, at the cost of exploring the deep obsidian caves, that is.

Use caution when exploring these lands, as there is plenty of fire, magma, and sharp obsidian deposits covering the ground."
I like it there is even a volcano island up there on the main map already. I would probably keep most of it on top of the ground, think ice covered Hawaii. Personally I think Wyvern has plenty of underground stuff and needs more open ground.

Knapping is breaking rocks to make sharp edges. Have you tried breaking glass? Glass is harder than it often gets credit for. What obsidian has going for it is the way it breaks can be controlled to make stuff with and its edge is pretty strong and very sharp. I can skin many cows with a single obsidian knife before it gets damaged. I would have to resharpen a good steel knife many times to do the same job. The down side of an obsidian knife, other than it is all wrong for fighting, it would only take a single hit from a metal weapon to break the the obsidian. I know that is not fun ingame, feel free to over look it.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you get it from an "obsidian golem"? The rule of thumb (from the wiz manuel) is one piece of loot per three monsters, or less (preferably less).
How do you kill a golem? Probably by smashing it or the like, I would expect the obsidian to shatter into very small pieces. The other golems who drop stuff do not shatter.

On a different topic, speaking of golems who is animating all of them? I will freely admit that I have not covered much of Wyvern, but I have yet to find a single wizard or factory who is in the business of animating golems of any kind.

Keep up the good work you two, you may give the wizards an idea yet.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I was reading through this thread and just wanted to say a couple brief things. Let see if I can word this the right way.. (and mind, I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but it's late and I don't feel like re-reading to find out).

I have used obsidian knives, as well as arrowheads that were crafted via the knapping method Goony has mentioned^. On arrowheads in particular, my experience is that they have a very durable and sharp edge, but upon coming into contact with something hard (i.e. certain bones, rocks, etc.), the 'point' will begin to dull rather quickly (but not before leaving quite the mark on the surface it came in contact with). Same things with the knives/cutting edge. They seem much better suited for cutting than anything else, and in a in-game sense, should probably be rather durable but not "too" durable.

I've also slipped and dropped them on other rocks before, and in all those cases most shattered almost instantly. It would seem to depend on the way they hit the other surface.

And granted, most of mine have been made rather on-the-spot, so if they were to be introduced as an addition to the blacksmithing skill, someone with a high level in blacksmithing/<weapon skiil> could likely make a much more durable item than I could in real-life.

If golems/weapons were to be added in addition to terrain - I would picture the weapons as doing mainly cut damage, and the golems being vuln. to pierce/smash. But that's just my opinion.

(And if there's the least hint of rambling in this post, I blame sleep-deprivation).

Edit: I went back and realized much of this is a re-statement of what Goonyton has said, and to an extent, that was the point. Just to clarify a bit more - these are my experiences with obsidian, and I don't expect it would operate in precisely the same ways in-game (if not soley due to the complexity of the code that would be needed), but hopefully this provides some insight nonetheless.

Last edited by Kama : 03-09-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Hmmmm. Kama, you bring up a similar point, but that is not really "Bad". We simply have more evidence for Goonyton's argument, which especially gives me some thoughts as to smithing Obsidian. Do you have any ideas about spells?

As for smithing and repairing the stuff, maybe the amount of blacksmith points you have should greatly affect your results. If you are very skilled you should have no problem, but if you are only "pretty good", that might not even be enough to forge a weapon or repair it successfully once out of 20 times. Basically, the curve should be late, but it should be very, very steep. You can't smith it for a long time, but once you do, it works wonders. Of course, I think it may be helpful to get the weapons into the game first, so maybe there should be a great store of natural weapons to be found, so that people can actually USE the weapon and see through experience, the value of the weapons. Either that, or maybe the difficulty to forge them could be lowered for a while, although I think this could lead to more frustrations after the difficulty was raised,