Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Durango has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Giant resists

I was wondering if R (and wizards) have considered lowering the resists giants have. Currently they are set at 75 which seems very high to me. If they were say 50 or even 30 then there would be less need for such high vulnerabilities. Lowering both resists and vulnerabilities would make them more playable. Because it's very hard to dodge the spells when giants are so large (they take up two squares). The slowness makes it hard too.

I had a fire giant for a while that was possibly going to join paladins, but unfortunately I got frustrated and deleted it a while back. It died pretty consistently to the things that cast cold spells even with weaker things like eyes. I've recently made a new one to test out same fire giant, but I found out the vulnerability only went from 55 to 50 so haven't gone beyond level 7 yet. My old one was 15 or 16 with two rings of cold resist, cold endurance and snow boots.

Also I think stone giants have it a little easier they just have to carry around some unicorn horns for paralysis and confusion seems a bit unbalanced. And I've noticed a large percent of the giants around are stone giants.

I'd use the suggestion command but I think I'd get better feedback on the forum.

Last edited by Durango : 03-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

While it is true that stone giants just need unicorn horns as you put it, its not as easy a task as it used to be. Now that unicorn horns have a limited number of charges per horn, they'd get used through like bandaid's on battle wounds. Stocking up on said horns can be very costly regardless of if you use the auction house or buy from a shop, or they can take a long time to farm some for yourself. Really the only deal available on them is if you find an RD shop deep down.

That being said, stone giants are also more popular because of their high strength for carrying capacity, and the fact that they have the most HP of all the giants. They may be slow, but thats just a little drawback to their power.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm pretty sure they reduced vulnerability from 75% to 50%. it actually helps out quite a bit.

I think the point of the changes was due in part because not very many people play giants anymore. The severe vulnerability and the slowness was enough to even deter me in training my frost giant.

Giants resists can be fixed by resist armors for the most part and swift strike rings for attack speed.

That being said, taking away that much resist may deter a ton more potential giants from playing again. The resists keep the few players as giants playing them.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
I'm pretty sure they reduced vulnerability from 75% to 50%. it actually helps out quite a bit.

I think the point of the changes was due in part because not very many people play giants anymore. The severe vulnerability and the slowness was enough to even deter me in training my frost giant.

Giants resists can be fixed by resist armors for the most part and swift strike rings for attack speed.

That being said, taking away that much resist may deter a ton more potential giants from playing again. The resists keep the few players as giants playing them.
I think you miss read what I said. I'm talking about reducing resistance so you could also reduce vulnerability.

Last edited by Durango : 03-02-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I was wondering if R (and wizards) have considered lowering the resists giants have. Currently they are set at 75 which seems very high to me. If they were say 50 or even 30 then there would be less need for such high vulnerabilities. Lowering both resists and vulnerabilities would make them more playable. Because it's very hard to dodge the spells when giants are so large (they take up two squares). The slowness makes it hard too.

I had a fire giant for a while that was possibly going to join paladins, but unfortunately I got frustrated and deleted it a while back. It died pretty consistently to the things that cast cold spells even with weaker things like eyes. I've recently made a new one to test out same fire giant, but I found out the vulnerability only went from 55 to 50 so haven't gone beyond level 7 yet. My old one was 15 or 16 with two rings of cold resist, cold endurance and snow boots.

Also I think stone giants have it a little easier they just have to carry around some unicorn horns for paralysis and confusion seems a bit unbalanced. And I've noticed a large percent of the giants around are stone giants.

I'd use the suggestion command but I think I'd get better feedback on the forum.
Sigh, we already did. Someone needs a potion of enlightenment.
You have lots of false info. You aren't even 75% vuln anymore. You are 50. So this is a moot point. But to give you more info.
Vulnerability is not as severe as resist, hence the number.
Giants do not take more damage because they take up two squares. They just cant avoid it as easily.
All of these are to balance out the 100s of extra HP you get.
It is quite easy with armor, and potions, rings etc to overcome 50% in one element. One potion alone does 55% resist and resist is stronger than vuln They are calculated differently that's all. You are not -50 resist. You are 50% uln.
Add to that DSM, rings, boots and you easily overcome 1 elemental weakness. You can also train in areas that you aren't weak.
The vuln was just changed from 75 to 50 the other day.
New players using Fire/Frost Giants are doing just fine, so all I can suggest is that you stop trying to play giants the old ways and think outside the box a bit. You aren't going to be able to stand in spells. No one can, no reason a giant should be able to either.
You'll get there if you stop thinking giants are what they used to be, thats all.

As far as the positive resistances, they have always had them, and no, no one is considering changing them.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
I think you miss read what I said. I'm talking about reducing resistance so you could also reduce vulnerability.
Fire Giants have no negative resistances, they have only vuln. But I already explained that your premise is false anyway.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM

When I say resistance I was talking about the positive resistance they get. Like fire giants have 75% fire resistance, I guess this answers my question then. I should probably not suggest anything anymore.

I was thinking that giants vulnerability was set to 55% before and it went down to 50%, but I guess I miss remembered that.

Ok, so if a cold spell does 100 damage and a player has 90% cold resistance it will then do 10 damage and then the 50% vulnerability makes that 15 damage if I understood right.

My suggestion for say a fire giant was to set fire resistance to 50 and set cold vulnerability to 25 or 30. I wasn't talking about lowering the vulnerability from 75 to 50, that's why I said it was miss read.

It would make it a little easier for when you can't afford the 90% resistance at the mid levels.

Last edited by Durango : 03-03-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
When I say resistance I was talking about the positive resistance they get. Like fire giants have 75% fire resistance, I guess this answers my question then. I should probably not suggest anything anymore.

I was thinking that giants vulnerability was set to 55% before and it went down to 50%, but I guess I miss remembered that.

Ok, so if a cold spell does 100 damage and a player has 90% cold resistance it will then do 10 damage and then the 50% vulnerability makes that 15 damage if I understood right.

My suggestion for say a fire giant was to set fire resistance to 50 and set cold vulnerability to 25 or 30. I wasn't talking about lowering the vulnerability from 75 to 50, that's why I said it was miss read.

It would make it a little easier for when you can't afford the 90% resistance at the mid levels.
Yeah, it's not supposed to be easier.
I understood your premise. Lower the positives so you can have less vuln. But I think I already explained. And they arent related anyway, so lowering changing one would not necessarily change the other (as the recent change shows)