Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 PM

neverquit has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Neverquits's archer build

Its been a while since i posted, this is a archer class i was thinking of doing when wyvern comes back based on a lvl 30 stoney. i want to lvl the stoney but its insane to do random dungeon and melee especially with beefed up death ray, confusion vulnerability to stoneys, and insanity spell similar to fear spell the one reapers started to use. I figured ill do what i did with my naga train in arrows and kill from afar it did wonders for me in random dungeon i was safe and got my naga from 22 to 25 with flame and shock arrows it was slower exp gain but safe gain and a couple of other techniques to get a naga out of a killzone.

*30 RANGE: 20 trained 10 from guild, 30 is a ok of a number for rding but LQ's forget about it max it out for that.
*15 FIND WEAKNESS:
*5 STRENGTH: dont know how much incantation i need to cast strength nor do i know of a earth incantation besides strength didnt copy any information off website incase it went down, also heard a rumor strength doesnt affect range damage FW does i dont know if its true never tested it i guess nows the perfect time as any.
*20 EARTH: -5 guild leaves me 15 if i am correct with guild negative
*10 LORE:
*10 CONJURATION: 10 i think its a safe number for create earth wall spell the sites down so i dont know exactly how much conjuration/lore you need to cast earth wall, and dont know if its a evocation or conjuration spell.
*5 LIFE: for duration of earth wall spell
*5 HEALTH: lastly 5 in health to regenerate hp just using potions stinks at times. Bringing me to barely geting by with 30X3=90 skill points that i have.

For the earth wall i consider it my archery post a barrier to seperate me and the monsters/spells/PK like that crazy dark fear resembling type spell reapers have started using. I could also use it to block off monsters entrance path doors towards me in RD's so i dont bite off more than i could chew or my two favorites just make a alias to pretty much make a quick Fortress around you to get a breather if things are getting intense, for the other technique i would create a 1 block conjuration between me and reaper, step back behind wall a few steps and shoot around corners technique so i dont get spammed with confusion with the vulnerability to confusion stoneys already have which leads to the crazy spell then death ray in which i only have death protection amulet to combat the spell since archers cant wear platinum armor if i remeber correct, or confuse spamed into someother monster like red dragon or monopod that can take you out if your caught with your pants down.

Im sure i could tweek the build with certain items i cant remeber what most of them might be but if anyone knows a way to perfect this build with the 90 skills without lowering range, fw, spell, spell duration, and ring slots id love the feedback.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM

jezrald has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
*30 RANGE: 20 trained 10 from guild, 30 is a ok of a number for rding but LQ's forget about it max it out for that.
*15 FIND WEAKNESS:
*5 STRENGTH: dont know how much incantation i need to cast strength nor do i know of a earth incantation besides strength didnt copy any information off website incase it went down, also heard a rumor strength doesnt affect range damage FW does i dont know if its true never tested it i guess nows the perfect time as any.
*20 EARTH: -5 guild leaves me 15 if i am correct with guild negative
*10 LORE:
*10 CONJURATION: 10 i think its a safe number for create earth wall spell the sites down so i dont know exactly how much conjuration/lore you need to cast earth wall, and dont know if its a evocation or conjuration spell.
*5 LIFE: for duration of earth wall spell
*5 HEALTH: lastly 5 in health to regenerate hp just using potions stinks at times. Bringing me to barely geting by with 30X3=90 skill points that i have.
Some notes here from what I can remember/look up on archive.org:
  • Archer's Guild only gives negatives to arts, not elements.
  • You don't need any specific element or art skill (beyond 0, anyway) to cast earth wall or strength. [Jezrald casts strength occasionally for heavy loads with only a few life and I think 0 earth; it works quite well, surprisingly.]
  • You'll need meditation, obviously. [Even without using mana shield, you'll need some to recover from all those walls.]
  • Archers get a full +10 FW, and there's a fairly cheap item (woodland gloves) that gives +1 FW as well, so you only need 9 trained.
  • As far as I know strength in no way affects ranged damage; I could be mistaken, of course.
  • Unless you have something in mind I'm not aware of, lore 10, conj 10, and 20 earth seem a bit excessive. Lore 3 or 4 should be fine, and you only need to out-train -5 conj; I don't know how much earth is needed to make good walls, though.
  • Make sure to get lots of speed-boosting, which (at present) is the only thing that affects ranged attack rate.

Oh yeah, and Jezrald wears plat all the time. It's pretty great. (He also uses a riagor-skin vest for DR-heavy areas, sometimes.) Remember to dual-shield.

Jezrald is a Level 27 Halfling Archer; my other alts are all below 20.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Morwen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

@Jez: Strength can still be useful for carrying things around. I had 10 on Morwen.

Other helpful hints on archery: Arrows fly for a total of 14 blocks, which is farther than the range of everything but ball spells. It's also further than most monsters' ability to see invisible (including reapers!) which can give you easy kills.

Also earth wall is not affected by life at all, so unless you're using that life for something else you should forget training it. You also don't need 10 lore if all you're getting is fortress and earth wall. You'll need only 4 to get those two spells and a plethora of other small, useful casts.

I'm unsure on the reasoning for limiting your archery skill. It's the cheapest weapon skill.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Wow im already loving this build +10 fw from guild and no negative to elements, can wear plat, low lore for earth wall spell leaves me more skills to put back into range. I didnt know range was cheap haha i remembered dumping 750k+ for lvls 29-30 club skills if i remeber correct. cant wait til the games back anxious to test out build and some of the archers armor and see how good the golden bow and other armor bonuses might be. I might test and see how good earth wall is at higher skill points might find it to be interestingly good kind of like a high bless skill point gives curse immunity that Mirk had told me.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 AM

Yeah archery is cheap. Training the 30th level in it only costs 187,500 as opposed to the 1k skills that cost 750,000.

Thus the reason archers are rich. :3
Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 AM

That saves me so much time...... dont have to farm for cash for a whole year just to train 1 skill, do you know if training in range increases damage along with firespeed i would guess it does but not too familiar with range as with clubs.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

YOur attack speed with range is determined by your movement speed.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
That saves me so much time...... dont have to farm for cash for a whole year just to train 1 skill, do you know if training in range increases damage along with firespeed i would guess it does but not too familiar with range as with clubs.
Yeah, ranged weapons, at present, only increase damage; as blackbeard mentioned, and as I alluded to earlier, firing speed depends on your movement rate. (This is handy too because archers generally want to be able to move fast in any case.)

Edit: The wizards have mentioned in passing that this may change in the future, becoming more like other weapon skills, but there's no solid plans for it at the moment.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Rawk has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't know if you're super set on having an earth archer or what, but i think a mind archer would be more all around useful. Actually after seeing this thread i thought i might remake my archer into a mind archer. slow, confusion, paralyze just seem way more useful to me than fortress and earth wall but to each his own. You would lose the strength but especially being a stonie you don't particularly need it and you could train some life and get some basic free action resists. And last time i checked strength did nothing for ranged weapons. I dunno just some things to think about anyways. Lots of possibilities.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Player Mod

Ooo imagine the capabilities of a resist archer. It might not be super handy for Lqs. But as a support class it could be unstoppable.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM

I believe Akando was "resist mage-ish". If I remember correctly he had 15 fire/water, which means he had some very heavy resists.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 PM

Akando has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I started my build planning to use resists, but I ended up switching to self cast mana shield and as much Air as I could get for Speed to increase my rate of fire.

Having more survivability was fun, but I wanted to kill things as quickly as possible, because that was more fun for me, lol
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 AM

Oh, I was unaware you'd ever switched.

Oh well. You're still a key example.

(Note: The three archers commenting on this thread used 4 skill point per level races!)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Player Mod

I've played a 3 skillpoint archer and 4. To be completely honest I think the best way to play an archer is using a halfling (it's 4 skillpoints and has bonus ranged attack). Also you need like 10 weapons to be able to get the smaller monsters that like to sneak up on you. Swords works the best due to the ease of getting 1 handed swords. Just make an alias to unweild your shield equip the sword, and an alt alias to put the shield back on. This way you can quickly equip your sword and deal with the little pests that like roaming around. Another way that might be more fun would be getting fire magic and casting a fireball or firespray to get them off as well as using it for resists. But to each their own. Just know as an archer it's not the big monsters that are annoying because you can hit their large area easy but the little ones that start to surround you.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I thought I'd mention that slow is earth magic as most people seem to think it's mind magic. Also, paralysis would be the best mind-based spell for an archer as most monsters aren't immune to it. The way I see it, as a mind archer, you don't need melee since you can paralyze and/or fear the pesky small creatures and free action prevents you from getting caught next to them. These are just the pros of it since the cons are obvious.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Wait, what! Archer's dont get negative in the elements 0_0
oh boy... that just opened up a lot of options for me XD

Shield of elements.. here I come

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
Wait, what! Archer's dont get negative in the elements 0_0
Yeah, Archer's Guild negatives are surprisingly reasonable. That's probably because their bonuses are a little underpowered. (Or just because bows and crossbows are underpowered, either way.)

Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezrald View Post
Yeah, Archer's Guild negatives are surprisingly reasonable. That's probably because their bonuses are a little underpowered. (Or just because bows and crossbows are underpowered, either way.)
Precisely, increased survivability in return of a significant lack in DPS compared to mage/melee.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM

hofod has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
Precisely, increased survivability in return of a significant lack in DPS compared to mage/melee.
Actually take Jezrald for instance.... An archer i've seen in action a few times. I'm sure the only people that out damage him are people like me and you who have gems and can take a few good hits before needing to back off. Archers aren't bad damagers at all and in some cases knock enemies out faster than mages or melee fighters.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofod View Post
Archers aren't bad damagers at all and in some cases knock enemies out faster than mages or melee fighters.
This.

We're not quite as fast as the other two can be, but we're not underpowered. And the only reason we're not quite as fast is arguably due to the fact that an archer's attack speed never increases with the skill. If it did...