Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

For an extrapolation of the physical and intellectual idea. Your computer is your physical property right? Does that count for the data inside? Or is the data a mixture of your work (say you wrote an essay or something) and the manufacturer's OS, is that all intellectual, or is is all physical or some sort of mix. Would your essays be considered physical because that is the only copy you have, or is it intellectual because there is nothing you can "hold in your hand" even though it is completed?

*still can't figure out the shooting comment*
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Ariful has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Not the pirates bay... oh well private trackers here we come.....
Old 04-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

From wikipedia
Quote:
The Pirate Bay has previously stated they intend to appeal the case in the case of a losing verdict. This appeals process could take in excess of six years to be decided.[53]
Also, from the news I have followed over years, they have both friends and enemies in the court system, as far as various judges views on freedom vs protection of information.

I would also like to thank everyone contributing for this great thread, I haven't laughed this hard in months. I can't wait to see which emotionally extreme view convinces the other that they are wrong.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
From wikipedia

Also, from the news I have followed over years, they have both friends and enemies in the court system, as far as various judges views on freedom vs protection of information.

I would also like to thank everyone contributing for this great thread, I haven't laughed this hard in months. I can't wait to see which emotionally extreme view convinces the other that they are wrong.
That wikipedia is a quote from a US author not from anyone in the Swedish Law system. Their appeals are very different from ours from what I have read of swedish law this morning. But I still stand by what I said, I find it very interesting that one of the most liberal nations in the world is the first to convict someone of this. They didnt even convict those of sharing the software, they took is a step further and convicted them of "giving the opportunity" to allow.

As far as extreme views, I guess when keeping the law , and not stealing something that isn't yours is considered extreme it's time to go live in a cave. what ever happened to working to change the laws before you break them?
let the romans run the roost Just don't give Crier a gun *nod*
Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM

I don't even know if I would be a good shot D: I would need to practice....
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

There is a huge difference between loaning a movie on a tape to a friend, and copying that movie on your computer then giving it out to thousands of people on the internet just because you like to share.

Sure, no one makes any money in this exchange, but that's the problem. The people who made the movie (or technological development, or whatever it may be) have to be given a reward for their hard work. That's what gives capitalism it's kick, because there's extra emphasis on working hard and developing. Piracy hurts the emphasis, which in turn hurts us all.

There may be some people who would not buy the product in the first place if they could not have obtained it for free. But there are also those who would have payed for it, but obtain it for free because they can and they do not wish to spend their money.

Simply put, internet piracy is no better than physical piracy. Because lazy people are still taking away the rewards of the hard working.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post
Simply put, internet piracy is no better than physical piracy. Because lazy people are still taking away the rewards of the hard working.
I have always imagined pirating to be harder then most people make it out to be. All the sailing, boarding of other ships, then you have to control the crew of the ship, pick out whats useful to steal, steal it, and possible sink the ship. There is a lot of work in physical pirating...

Old 04-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
I have always imagined pirating to be harder then most people make it out to be. All the sailing, boarding of other ships, then you have to control the crew of the ship, pick out whats useful to steal, steal it, and possible sink the ship. There is a lot of work in physical pirating...
Might want to check the recent news (4 ships just yesterday alone and many more in recent months).
All that was required was... more guns than the crew. It's apparently not hard at all, they do it with little dinghy boats and some m16s. So not much work at all.
In some cases getting software able to be pirated in the first place takes many more hours of work.

And no you aren't allowed any guns. sorry.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

you're missing the point - it may or may not be legal in particular instances to copy something in some manner, time shift it, loan it to friends, whatever...

the point is, if I create something I own the copyright to it. I get to decide the terms under which I give/sell it to you, including terms on if you can give/sell/lend it to someone else. It doesn't matter if the terms are inconsistent with previous practice or the norm in the industry, inconvenient to you, damaging to my own self interests, etc. It doesn't matter if your actions cost me a sale - except in trying to find a reasonable punishment if you violate the my terms. It is totally within the rights of a copyright holder to limit the medium, manner, number of times, day of the week, etc under which you can do something with the creation they're giving/selling to you - including limiting how you give it to others. If you don't like the terms, just like if you don't like the price of some object, don't agree to them and don't buy it.

I agree many of the entertainment companies are missing the boat, alienating their customers and missing the opportunity for revenue. That's their choice. The way we as the public get to influence their decision is by not purchasing their products when we don't like their terms. We don't, and shouldn't, legally get to protest against their terms by stealing, anymore than you get to tell BMW their cars are too expensive by driving them off the lot without paying. And yes...it is exactly the same thing because the important part of the analogy isn't the model of transfer of ownership it's that there's a transaction taking place. In order for it to be legal and fair to both sides you have to reach an agreement. They specify terms (price, other restrictions) and you agree to it. If you don't agree, go shopping elsewhere for entertainment and eventually they will get the message and change their terms/price.

And Tesh is correct - this is fundamentally about a sense of entitlement and it's sad.

-bitsey
Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 PM

ame has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
haha^^

It's pirate huntin season AAARRRRR.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:15 AM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ame View Post
It's pirate huntin season AAARRRRR.
Unless you live in Russia, then it's have a government-approved-terrible-fashion-sense-party-in-2-degree-weather season.

http://egear.ru/archives/3104

The sheer amount and variation of irony involved does not escape me.