Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Hammer Ideas That Are Suggested to Death (one i disagree)

2003-07-30 14:36:24: T [wiz/arilou/amita/inn 9 4]
u should make it so u know exactly how much damage weapons do seeing as though all other mmorpg games do

Arilou's reply: What's this "other" mmorpgs nonsense about? Wyvern is a MUD and there are many MUDs which do not show you damage. There's actually an interesting article at http://www.topmudsites.com/that goes into roll playing games versus role playing games. The first makes everything about dice and numbers. The second focuses more on your interaction with the world you are exploring (Wyvern is somewhere in-between). In the real world you'd never pick one sword over another just because one happens to be the equivalent of a game sword having one wc-cut point more than the other. There's just no way of you possibly knowing such a thing. Rather you would get a general feel for it by testing it out in battle a bit, looking at the material it is made of, seeing if it's balanced or magical, (yes I know there's no magic in the real world, just go with) and looking at the value that was placed there by those who inspected it closely. This way you have to actually put some effort into finding the right weapon/armor for you and there's no official item which is the best in the game. Rather you have options and people running around with a wide range of things rather than shooting for that one thing with two more points of whatever on it. As a result you may end up going around with something weaker than you would have if you knew an item's exact stats and we like it that way. It's balanced, it's realistic, and it can sometimes be fun.
--------------.--------------
Ok, i agree that that you cant tell if sword do 300 points of cut damage or a club does 500 points of smash damage, but i disagree when you say that in real life you cant pick a sword over another knowing that one does more damage that the other. Example:

Appraise sword:
This item seems to do cut damage, it makes regular amount of damage, it have magical ability, it’s in perfect shape and seems fairly durable.
Appraise club:
This item seems to do smash damage, it makes regular amount of damage, it doesn’t have any magical bonus, it is in good shape and seems fragile.

Compare sword and club (new command, maybe with blacksmith lvl 10)
You think the Sword of noir does more damage than fragile club of attack -3, you think sword of noir is more durable than fragile club of attack -3, Sword of noir have magical bonus wile fragile club of attack -3 don’t, Sword of noir is in better shape than fragile club of attack -3

I’m sure that in real word if, you spend your life making weapons (be a blacksmith) you are able to compare to weapons and tell from that what weapon you think its better with out need to go to the practice. No numbers, just a reference.

Last edited by Unknown : 01-12-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Learn to read. I said you can't pick up a sword and know it is better because it has the equivalent of one more wc-cut point in Wyvern. I did, however, mention general ways you can learn which swords are better and how those ways are currently in Wyvern right now. Including, but not limited to, testing it out and getting a feel for how the sword handles and having the sword examined by a professional - In Wyvern that is done in advance and those same people decide what the value would be. Thus that's one way to know if something might be better.

You're acting like I said that all swords are equal and there is no way to tell which is better no matter how different they are from each other. Which is beyond stupid and why I explained how Wyvern tried to mimic real life by letting you generally figure it out without having a piece of paper with a number next to each that you can use to pick the best. Reread the original quote you took. Then reread it again and maybe that time you'll see where you went wrong.

Btw, there is a comments section in blogs for a reason. Use it rather than dragging every disagreement you have to the forums.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:27 AM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

oh, you right arilou. my mistake. now back to the point of why i put this in the suggestion topic insted of a comment in your page. i want to know what people think of the compare command.