Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Default Q*Doof

*laughs hysterically* So I was searching to see which no-life got the highest Q Bert score ever and it's worse than I thought. Not only did someone spend a massive amount of time getting to 33,273,520, in 1983, but someone who has been trying to beat that score was at 36 hours of an estimated 70 hour run when someone unplugged the machine on him (he only managed to get 16.8 million). Whoever did that is either a really good person who didn't want to see this person suffer physically or a comic genius and, in which case, I think he's brilliant because I still can't stop from breaking into laughter every now and then while writing this.

http://kotaku.com/5792711/qbert-reco...ine-unplugged?

Now nothing can top that, but the humor doesn't stop there. Okay, so you'd think that having this happen to you would show you how much of a waste of time trying to reach such a pointless achievement is. After all, it's one thing to play for the fun of the game itself and the fun of competiting with others and all that, but to plan to play for a full three days straight is just so beyond any of that. So when you have someone pull the plug on you, maybe you'd finally see how easily such a silly achievement, that you're killing yourself to get, can be ripped away from you and move on with your life. Not this guy. This guy tries again and after reaching 24.7 million points at the 54 hour mark, he had to stop due to fatigue (duh).

If you were like me and, while reading about his first attempt, you wondered why the plug puller didn't wait until just before the guy reached the 33 million mark, when everyone was crowded around him in excitement, to mess with him, you gotta figure he probably wouldn't have made it that far then either and that was the next best time to have your fun. Plus, if you're planning this whole thing from the beginning, you can probably imagine that it would be pretty hard to contain your excitement over such a prank while waiting three days - I'd probably have broken down and pulled the plug early if I had come up with this.

Anyway, the idiot makes a third attempt and just before the 58 hour mark he again has to stop due to fatigue. I think he got the hint now and has put aside this madness, but I'm sure there are other nuts out there who need someone to pull their power cords on them.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Yeah to us it seems stupid, but what right do we have to say they can't waste their lives like that?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odolf View Post
Yeah to us it seems stupid, but what right do we have to say they can't waste their lives like that?
You misunderstand. I don't really want them to stop because the enjoyment I take from reading about how they wasted their time would then stop as well. Finding out that this guy made three attempts in a year and reading each one after another was brilliant and I was kind of disappointed when I got to the end. But then I read about this guy who tried to beat the Nibbler high score only to have the hardware fail on him after almost getting there. So there are always people to laugh at.

I know, it's mean, but I have a sadistic streak. What are you going to do? Oh, that's right, find out where the next high score attempt is being held for an arcade game and unplug their machine.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Raiza has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

lol, thats so creul
Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Forum Admin

So it turns out our Q*Doof friend was in fact crazy enough to try again and he actually pulled it off this time:

Quote:
Leutz, however, amassed 37,163,080 having played a single quarter for 84 hours and 50 minutes.

To put that in perspective, he started playing on February 14, and finished at 12:38 am on February 18. Madness.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5984937/a-man-has-...r-world-record

The previous high score was 33,273,520, which was set in 1983 by Rob Gerhardt. What I want to know is how verifiable these 80's scores actually are. Were there people around throughout in every case or were some set by a random guy playing on his own who later came forward to identify himself (or got people's attention only when he got the score?). It would be amazingly fun if some of these scores were set by a couple of guys switching back and forth while nobody was watching them and now these modern individuals are killing themselves trying to do alone what it took multiple people to do together.

Btw, it's kind of sad that his fourth attempt came and went and I had no idea. It means I missed my opportunity to drive down there and pull the plug on the guy. How funny would it have been to wait until the 33,200,000 mark and then have the screen collapse in on itself in a flash of white light? I don't know why anyone hasn't done that yet. The ensuing meltdown could very possibly reach keyboard smashing kid's level of attention on youtube, with all the ad revenue that comes with it. It wouldn't just be the player who would freak out but all the little Salkands who stand around watching it. You get yourself a friend who pretends to want to film the glorious victory and you just sit back and let him capture all the madness. Come on; you can't tell me that wouldn't be the best.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I just don't know how someone could muster up the motivation after attempt three failure to try again. After that I'd be like, "Well, I'm done with this waste of time, I've already wasted a total of a week of my life on this with no positive results other than making strangers laugh at me."