Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Would you guys like to simply use a Xat chatroom for the event on the 28th? Apparently some of you were on the one that Newnagaraga linked to awhile back. Did you like it? Are there any limitations (e.g. limits on the number of people who can chat at once) that you didn't like? For those of you who haven't tried it you can play around with the one listed in this thread and let me know if you like it: http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2438 If you guys want to go with that I'll make my own chat through Xat and post a link. If you guys hate it, do you have any alternatives in mind? Bullfrogz suggested one, but it had a cap on the number of people who could play without paying. Although that's fairly standard, I thought it was quite egregious that they had a pay option that only bought you 14 days where you could have unlimited users on at once. Anyway, aside from that I would again like to point out that we can very easily use the chat box if there are no objections (I can remove the refresh delay so chats appear instantly).
If you don't use Xat and simply use the chatbox, we will most likely be on Mumble (seeing that we are on there pretty much every day).

I don't know what the limitations are for the Mumble server but it is pretty effective and--once configured-- blocks out random outside noise.

I'm up for anything, though.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 12-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Mumble is a voice chat only? If so, I'll take your post for Xat as while you and your friends may like to voice chat, it's not really useful if a lot of random people show up.

Anyone else have something add? I will look into and set up whatever you guys think is best. So if it be Xat or something else that you happen to know about, definitely say what you want and whatever the consensus seems to be from those who respond is what we will go with.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Mumble won't be a good option Frosten. It's mainly for voice chat, and when just the few of us are in it it works fine but I don't know how many people will show up so it will be hard to predict the load it puts on my server.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think using the forum supported chat would be the best option. It would make it less complicated for those who aren't active on the forum. The email if they read it gave a link to the forum and I think adding more links would just create frustration with having to register on something else (if need be). But I do agree that you would need to take away the delay if you want people to be actively chatting at a larger scale.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

I wouldn't have suggested an alternative chat that you had to register for. You automatically enter the chat under an assigned name when the chat loads and you can click on that name to change it (no registration necessary). As for linking, I'll put up a nice, big [perhaps red] text link above or right below the banner that says something like CLICK HERE FOR TODAY'S 4 PM EASTERN CHAT EVENT. So finding it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, between this thread and conversation on the chatbox, Xat is currently the favorite so I'll be setting that up tonight unless there's a last minute rush of pro forum chatbox or pro alternative chat responses. As I've said, this is for you guys, not for me, so I'll go with whatever the group wants.