Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 AM

Munk has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Question Pally spell suggestions

I'm looking for some advice on building my pally (Artisen). Specifically, with spells.
I was initially planning on a pure melee build. That is to say no spells at all. But with the pally life bonus, it seems i'd be gimping myself.
So i put some points into lore, med and incant (3, 1, 1, respectively), to start out.
I'm thinking, for spells, i'll get light, med heal, create food and regen. Any other needful spells? Are any of these bad choices? Are there any spells that are typically considered gimmes for pallys?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 AM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Some of this depends on your race. The fewer spell points you have, the less often you should rely on using spells to heal. If you are going to build a nearly-pure melee Pally, there is not much you can do with spells, so I don't feel like your ideas are bad at all. Some thoughts you may want to consider, however, are things like Cure Blindness, Poison, Confusion, Paralysis, and Bravery which could eliminate the need to carry lots of expensive potions or wear armor that takes up a slot that could be used for other things.

The only thing I am worried you are not considering is bungling. Just make sure you take that into consideration before you pick what spells you use.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 AM

Munk has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiez View Post
Some of this depends on your race. The fewer spell points you have, the less often you should rely on using spells to heal. If you are going to build a nearly-pure melee Pally, there is not much you can do with spells, so I don't feel like your ideas are bad at all. Some thoughts you may want to consider, however, are things like Cure Blindness, Poison, Confusion, Paralysis, and Bravery which could eliminate the need to carry lots of expensive potions or wear armor that takes up a slot that could be used for other things.

The only thing I am worried you are not considering is bungling. Just make sure you take that into consideration before you pick what spells you use.
Actually, i did consider some of the "cure" spells but considering it takes me 3 tries before my light spell is cast successfully (due to bungling), i figured those wouldn't be ideal in the heat of combat. I'll be lucky enough to get an emergency heal off. I'm still considering though...

But that reminds me, i can't find any info on bungling in the manual. Is it there? and if so, where? Any other place i could find some info on it. Like is there any way to minimize it, besides different armor choices?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 AM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't remember if there is info in the manual. And, no there is no way but better armor choices to get rid of it. As for your bungling concerns, I shared them when I posted my last comment, but didn't say anything. Although why you think an "Emergency Heal" is going to fly is beyond me. Heal spells cancel themselves if you enter combat while they are happening, and if you aren't in combat, there is almost no chance of an "Emergency" except for Medusa poison. (I don't say Reaper because if that happens and you can't cure it, you are dead).

Some things I would like you to reconsider thoroughly.
1. Cure Blindness - It can be mighty frustrating to wait for blindness to go away. If you have extra lore when you have all your important spells learned, this is the one to go to first.
2. Cure Poison - Poison can be mighty dangerous at higher levels for all of you non-dwarves. Seeing as poison doesn't affect your movement, you shouldn't have too much problem running away and spamming your alias until it works. Even with the mana drain spamming might cause, you can carry mana potions instead of Cure Poison potions, which might be better because they are a little more versatile, allowing you to recast cure poison in addition to a number of other spells you might have.

Lastly, remember, training spells does not mean you have to use them. You CAN use your extra lore that you don't have a specific use for to learn spells that you may not need so much. You may never use them, and that is okay. What is a few thousand gold in the long haul? Guilding itself costs 100k. On the other hand, that one use that saves a death or that simply makes your life easier may well be worth the money. You never really know.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Personally I use Regen, Create Food, Light, and Major Healing as my spells. For taking care of poison, confusion, paralyze, slow, and blind I use a unicorn horn. Bungling is almost a non issue for me due to the fact that I have a high enough incant where a few bungles of my healing spell barely uses up any SP at all but for Light I use like 30SP per cast and that can hurt when I bungle so I advise making an alias to unwear your bungling armor when casting light and then wearing it again. Something like unwear helmet; unwear dragon scale mail; cast light; wear helmet; wear dragon scale mail. Doing that should make it a one cast thing. currently I have untrained my meditation so I have 5 lore and 8 incant but even as a primarily melee pally I advise at least 5 med but no more then 10. Medium healing should suffice at least for now but in the level 20-25 range you might wanna upgrade to major healing. Anyway hope this helps!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Durango has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

My paly uses quite a few spells but has got fire and water magic trained fairly high. Spells would be minor healing major healing cure blindness cure poison slow poison light.

You can't cast cure confusion slow etc unless you have mind/air magic trained palys get a negative in it.

I also got flame blade and frost blade, fire resit, cold resist.

This is also with non bungling armor.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

"poison, confusion, paralyze, slow, and blind I use a unicorn horn"

slow? I didn't think horns cured slow...but then again, since I usually play archers, slow == painfully long arrow lag == never getting to that uni horn before you're in trouble == certain death. Free action is kind of required.