Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Rogue Guild ideas

Well, I was extremely bored at work today and thought up of how I believe the Rogues Guild should work. I don't want to see rogues only worth to be picking locks in dungeons for other players(if the group dungeons are ever implemented that would need someone to do that) since that was impression that was given off. Seeing how blades is a primary weapon skill I believe it should be much more powerful than it is at this point in the game. On Exile, every other melee class out damaged me easily if they had max weapon skill/strength/find weakness and a comparable weapon. Before I start to rant too much here's my idea; feedback is more than welcome.

I split it into two different sub-sections and italicized the differences from the base Rogues guild bonuses and negatives.

Upon joining the Rogues Guild as a Thief, you receive:

-5 in Evocation, Conjuration and Enchantment
-5 in all of the Magical Elements
+5 in the Pick Locks skill (for +15 total)
your first-level skill bonuses (see below)
As you advance levels in the Rogues Guild, you receive:

+3% added to your hit points every level, so at 10th level in the guild, you have 30% more hit points
+1 in the Blade skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
+1 in the Dodge skill for every level
+1 in the Pick Locks skill for every level
+1 in the Sneaking skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
+1 in the Hurled Weapons skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
access to a Rogues Guild Shop
the ability to wear certain Rogues-only armor

And

Upon joining the Rogues Guild as an Assassin, you receive:

-10 in Evocation, Conjuration and Enchantment
-10 in all of the Magical Elements
+5 in the Find Weakness skill(for 10 total)
your first-level skill bonuses (see below)
As you advance levels in the Rogues Guild, you receive:

+4-5% added to your hit points every level, so at 10th level in the guild, you have 40-50% more hit points
+1 in the Blade skill for every level
+1 in the Dodge skill for every level
+1 in the Find Weakness skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
+1 in the Sneaking skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
+1 in the Hurled Weapons skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
access to a Rogues Guild Shop
the ability to wear certain Rogues-only armor

This way the Thieves section is for those who want to be able to pick locks(this section is really only useful if group dungeons get created that need that, or if you don't want all the negatives in the Arts/Elements) and the Assassins section I believe balances out their shortcomings in melee damage.

This is also hoping the sneaking skill gets improved so it is useful.

Last edited by Exile : 10-08-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Well, I was extremely bored at work today and thought up of how I believe the Rogues Guild should work. I don't want to see rogues only worth to be picking locks in dungeons for other players(if the group dungeons are ever implemented that would need someone to do that) since that was impression that was given off. Seeing how blades is a primary weapon skill I believe it should be much more powerful than it is at this point in the game. On Exile, every other melee class out damaged me easily if they had max weapon skill/strength/find weakness and a comparable weapon.
Rogues were supposed to be better at obtaining money than xp. The problem is that the xp vs gold obtaining aspects of the game had yet to be balanced and, yes, sneaking had yet to be implemented as a trainable skill (its design is to allow you to loot monster lairs while avoiding a fight).

However, before the game went down, we had discussed giving rogues a power boost by implementing duel wielding exclusively for blade weapons (the idea being that swords and other weapons are too clunky to be skillfully wielded with both hands, but blades weren't). Whether anything would've come of that, I don't know.

Also, assassins have been planned since forever, but as a distinct guild. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not possible for someone to have the desire (and then get the approval) to introduce it as an add-on to an existing guild. So I don't mean to dissuade you from pushing your idea by pointing that out.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

My experience on my rogue was that the skills they use are either incomplete such as sneaking and find-traps* which would be very useful for scouting, or needed more more tweaking such as making lock picking useful for unlocking pathways or... something else useful besides only unlocking chests.

*I put find-traps in there because it's a skill a thief, ehrm.. "acquirer" would use.

I really like the idea of Thief vs. Assassin especially if more rogue-based support skills are fixed and/or created. Although the skills are debatable and we'd have to wait until the rogue's guild skills are fully working to go very far with that.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
However, before the game went down, we had discussed giving rogues a power boost by implementing duel wielding exclusively for blade weapons (the idea being that swords and other weapons are too clunky to be skillfully wielded with both hands, but blades weren't). Whether anything would've come of that, I don't know.
I want to sign up for this. I would actually play my rogue if dual wielding was implemented, and it would definitely make more sense since rogues can't use shields. IMHO it would put rogues a lot closer to balance with the other guilds.

Implementing dual wielding would also entice more people to try to join rogue's, which would make it even more funny when others are suffering Shrouded, so, Arilou, you would enjoy the torture of several players who wouldn't otherwise attempt it!

Based solely on the difference between Exile as a paladin and Exile as a rogue, it's easy to see why Exile would suggest the split in the way he did. I personally would create another rogue just to have a thief as well as an assassin for funsies.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
I want to sign up for this. I would actually play my rogue if dual wielding was implemented, and it would definitely make more sense since rogues can't use shields. IMHO it would put rogues a lot closer to balance with the other guilds.
Mind you, since rogues aren't supposed to primarily be a melee class, you wouldn't have been allowed to just combine the power of two weapons and go on your merry way. There would have been a downside.

Quote:
Implementing dual wielding would also entice more people to try to join rogue's, which would make it even more funny when others are suffering Shrouded, so, Arilou, you would enjoy the torture of several players who wouldn't otherwise attempt it!
I never so much enjoyed people getting all worked up over that quest, so much as I was baffled by it. I have always maintained that if people just pay attention, the quest is fairly straight-forward. So it was always weird to me that people would complain about it (I think they make it difficult on themselves by trying to take shortcuts).

Irregardless, as I don't work on the game anymore, I wouldn't be around to hear people whine about it in shouts. So, even if I did enjoy the players screaming about how they're pulling their hair out over it, (which I do in relation to screams that are directed toward the Elemental Dungeon) I can't enjoy something that I don't know about.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou
Rogues were supposed to be better at obtaining money than xp. The problem is that the xp vs gold obtaining aspects of the game had yet to be balanced and, yes, sneaking had yet to be implemented as a trainable skill (it's design is to allow you to loot monster lairs while avoiding a fight).
If the balance was ever made that would be an incredible boost to Rogues but only if Sneaking was only trainable AS a Rogue since I feel for the most part their guild bonuses are very sub-par.

Quote:
Also, assassins have been planned since forever, but as a distinct guild. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not possible for someone to have the desire (and then get the approval) to introduce it as an add-on to an existing guild. So I don't mean to dissuade you from pushing your idea by pointing that out.
I only kept them clumped together in the same guild due to their similarities and the fact that they use the same weapons(or would unless the rogues guild was changed). Two different guilds would make a lot of sense now that you brought it up though. Rogues could steal stuff for mini-quests within the guild for something similar to the rewards of delivering packages, and assassins could kill NPCs that don't set off guards or have any role in quests. That would add a fun bit of role-playing. If two different guilds were to happen I think the entire Rogues guild bonuses/negatives would have to be rethought so the two guilds have more distinct differences.

Quote:
Mind you, since rogues aren't supposed to primarily be a melee class, you wouldn't have been allowed to just combine the power of two weapons and go on your merry way. There would have been a downside.
I know there were talks of nerfing the damage if dual wielding was to ever be implemented. The downsides would obviously be double the recoil damage, and you could make it so you couldn't wield 2 gem daggers at the same time, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten
Based solely on the difference between Exile as a paladin and Exile as a rogue, it's easy to see why Exile would suggest the split in the way he did. I personally would create another rogue just to have a thief as well as an assassin for funsies.
Exile as a Paladin was shaping up to be way too easy with the only flaw being petrification resistance, while Exile as a Rogue was more of a scraping to get by(due to the low health and damage). I still think the Paladins guild is too good; strong weapons and being able to cast healing spells and the like on yourself? Granted the healing spells are nerfed from where they used to be.. 2 seconds isn't a long time to move 2+ squares away from something, then run back at it.