Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Question Balanced class question

I've messed up my main character several times, since he was my first, and now I really want to learn the game properly. What classes are there that are in-between a mage and a caveman, and stay relatively the same strength throught the duration of game play? I figure the mage is at one end of the spectrum, being weak at low level and strong at high level, and the caveman is strong at low level and weak at high level. What classes do you suggest that are great for a newer player and will remain about the same strength from levels 1-30ish?

- Fortune Cookie
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 PM

Morwen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Biased semi-serious answer incoming: Archers. They have the feel of a caster like mages but do physical damage. They're also great early game and do well into late game, assuming you can play one!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Cavemen definitely aren't weak at a high level.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 AM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

It depends on how you define weak. If you want consistent damage, then melee is probably the way to go. If your enemy is resistant to your specific type of weapon, just use a flameblade scroll or something. Thus, melee damage is pretty much consistent throughout.

Mages on the other hand, can't change their element with a simple scroll. They will just have to deal with reduced damage if their enemy is strong against the elements available to them. What makes mages "strong" (again, depends on how you define strong) is their ability to hide far away and slowly chip off the enemy's health.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steovanni View Post
It depends on how you define weak. If you want consistent damage, then melee is probably the way to go. If your enemy is resistant to your specific type of weapon, just use a flameblade scroll or something. Thus, melee damage is pretty much consistent throughout.

Mages on the other hand, can't change their element with a simple scroll. They will just have to deal with reduced damage if their enemy is strong against the elements available to them. What makes mages "strong" (again, depends on how you define strong) is their ability to hide far away and slowly chip off the enemy's health.

There really are plenty of artifact and other powerful weapons for mages (cavemen and others) to use in a pinch if they run into something they cant attack (or they can avoid it like others do that can't kill everything).
There will always be somethings that you avoid or take a long time to kill.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hmm. So Wyvern isn't really set up like DnD 3.5 where your class strength depends on your level then? More on the skill of the player?

- Fortune Cookie
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM

Rawk has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think that's a fairly good way of putting it. You definitely get stronger by leveling up, but i find that this game is more about finding and gathering information through experiences and then knowing how to apply it. For example a level 15 axeman with 15 in axes 15 in strength 15 in find weakness is going to be able to kill a wyvern fairly quickly, but if you run head-on into his dragonbreath you're probably not going to stand a chance. This is a fairly simple example but there are alot of these types of examples in wyvern where its not necessarily how fast you kill but how long you survive with what knowledge you have. This is also not necessarily dependant on levels, however gaining levels definitely CAN give you advantages in certain areas.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If you're trying to learn the game, either combat type works. Playing a magic user will require more learning early on (aliases, how lore/spells work, which elements to train, how to deal with certain environments/situations, etc.), while melee meets its major learning experiences/setbacks later on in the form of harder-hitting creatures, monsters that are capable of instakilling you with a well-placed spell, and so on. Both involve very different playstyles and both are tricky later on. Both are powerful throughout the game, but for different reasons. Steo's more or less hit the nail on the head: One can hit from across the map and the other has to get up-close and personal, endangering himself in exchange for being able to deal more consistent damage.

In PvP situations, I think the "cap" for how good a person can get at their character's combat type is higher for mages. I say this because mages get a massive toolbox of spells that can be used very effectively with quick reflexes, while melee users don't (usually). In general, if a mage and a caveman of the same skill and character level were to duke it out, the caveman would probably win. On the other hand, if a caveman and mage at their respective skill caps were to fight, the mage would probably win through sheer quick reflexes/smart spellcasting.

I could be very wrong, but that's how I see it. Melee is a very solid choice, in any case. Mages have major setbacks that inhibit skill training, questing, etc. and can discourage newcomers. Both provide major insight as to how the game works.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Mages are an awesome starter! You will definitely do great. They were my starters, and I got it to a higher level than my current Hydra( not for long though..hehe).

Mages have some serios overpowered abilities, they are very well known for their buffs. Sadly, thats the only useful aspect they tend to have...

I can kill an AD faster than I would in a mage...But survivability is crazy. You get owned by dray so fast. and thats with DP!

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
Mages are an awesome starter! You will definitely do great. They were my starters, and I got it to a higher level than my current Hydra( not for long though..hehe).

Mages have some serios overpowered abilities, they are very well known for their buffs. Sadly, thats the only useful aspect they tend to have...

I can kill an AD faster than I would in a mage...But survivability is crazy. You get owned by dray so fast. and thats with DP!
Honestly, mages are the toughest to start. killing stuff generally requires you to use melee and you blow up loot, so you accumulate a ton of skill points.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post

None of your characters ever started out mages, they all used bow/arrow until much higher level with lots of money and skill points to spend. That is not a "mage".
Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
Honestly, mages are the toughest to start. killing stuff generally requires you to use melee and you blow up loot, so you accumulate a ton of skill points.
You start out with things like blood dart, blink, etc. Just like in D&D, you utilize your first-level spells and work your way up. Just because you haven't yet reached the lore level for fireball doesn't mean you have to resort to melee for the entire leveling process.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Morwen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

And you also start out with no arts, low mana, and no meditation. If you cast those repeatedly you'll quickly find yourself out of mana and resorting to methods other than your magic. Not to mention needing to train the lore to learn the spells you have to buy as well.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen View Post
And you also start out with no arts, low mana, and no meditation. If you cast those repeatedly you'll quickly find yourself out of mana and resorting to methods other than your magic. Not to mention needing to train the lore to learn the spells you have to buy as well.
This is one of the setbacks of being a mage and part of why it can be discouraging to new players. Money is a large issue for mages due in part to the sheer amount of skills they almost need to train early game and also due to the fact that many spells destroy loot. However, nothing is stopping you from picking up a sword and using it in conjunction with your spells to compensate for your lack of mana in the beginning. I'd consider this to be still well within the definition of a magic user. Using a bow or sword exclusively until you've got enough levels/money to start using magic wouldn't be.

Another thing to note is that in D&D, the amount of spells you can cast each day tends to be limited. The high mana strain in early levels could be an equivalent to that, preventing you from casting a spell more than a few times without having to go refresh at a fountain.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silico View Post
This is one of the setbacks of being a mage and part of why it can be discouraging to new players. Money is a large issue for mages due in part to the sheer amount of skills they almost need to train early game and also due to the fact that many spells destroy loot. However, nothing is stopping you from picking up a sword and using it in conjunction with your spells to compensate for your lack of mana in the beginning. I'd consider this to be still well within the definition of a magic user. Using a bow or sword exclusively until you've got enough levels/money to start using magic wouldn't be.

Another thing to note is that in D&D, the amount of spells you can cast each day tends to be limited. The high mana strain in early levels could be an equivalent to that, preventing you from casting a spell more than a few times without having to go refresh at a fountain.
This is why I have made so many whipmages

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)