Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM

KS RAGE has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Godhand does have a point

The restrictions do take a lot out of the game,and most kids these days have a pretty bad attention span which would make things like quests extremely frustrating and discouraging since all you have to go by is a small description and your interpretation and deduction skills. Most kids wouldn't even play Wyvern,not because it is a bad game,because they wouldn't be cool playing it while their buddies are off playing Aion or something. The level restriction for grouping with people is kind of dumb too,what's the point of trying to get a friend to play if you have to completely start over to play with him/her.
The maximum price you can sell things for in a shop seems a bit to low,it may encourage you to communicate with people and try to auction it or whatever but not every item that's worth more than 1k gp can be sold to people.
I do agree that there are way too many restrictions. The more restrictions and less freedoms a game has the more dull it becomes,point being more freedoms = more enjoyable and all you guys are doing is restricting everything more and more,idk if you are supposed to do something special but I just wondered why my friend and I couldn't attack each other in a supposed PK area.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

If you don't like the restrictions of this game you don't have to play it.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS RAGE View Post
The restrictions do take a lot out of the game,and most kids these days have a pretty bad attention span which would make things like quests extremely frustrating and discouraging since all you have to go by is a small description and your interpretation and deduction skills. Most kids wouldn't even play Wyvern,not because it is a bad game,because they wouldn't be cool playing it while their buddies are off playing Aion or something. The level restriction for grouping with people is kind of dumb too,what's the point of trying to get a friend to play if you have to completely start over to play with him/her.
The maximum price you can sell things for in a shop seems a bit to low,it may encourage you to communicate with people and try to auction it or whatever but not every item that's worth more than 1k gp can be sold to people.
I do agree that there are way too many restrictions. The more restrictions and less freedoms a game has the more dull it becomes,point being more freedoms = more enjoyable and all you guys are doing is restricting everything more and more,idk if you are supposed to do something special but I just wondered why my friend and I couldn't attack each other in a supposed PK area.
Rhialto set the rules , long ago and far away. We have loosened up some, like Mini QI when they no longer make sense, otherwise there are no plans to change them and complaining about it is a waste, no matter what name you do it under.

Regarding prices of min/max on items, the news told you long ago to bug report any prices that you thought were inappropriate and we would look into them. We did just redo all of the forged weapon prices for this very reason.

If you found you could not attack in a PK area, again, thats what the bug command is for, to report it.

As far as grouping, the 5 level limit prevents higher ups from giving low levels an unfair advantage over others whose friends dont play.,, again, this is all explained in the rules and news posts. It keeps thing smuch fairer for all.

So please report bugs as needed and read the rules (which tell you to read the news and news archives for changes), they will help you have a better understanding of how things work.

As far as things like "well other games let you." we arent other games and we like it that way
Old 01-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Kabroz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
The restrictions do take a lot out of the game
Indeed, they do take a lot out of what one's character could possibly do. However it would make sense that one's character should not be able to do everything in the whole game (ie. cast magic as a stone giant caveman, who has negatives in all arts and elements).

Quote:
The more restrictions and less freedoms a game has the more dull it becomes,point being more freedoms = more enjoyable and all you guys are doing is restricting everything more and more
Not necessarily, it is true that with more restrictions there are less freedoms within the game, but that is not to say that there is less fun. Some meleers may enjoy the company of a mage on long RD runs, for one. These restrictions, in my opinion, are not to limit gameplay, but to encourage grouping and the like. Likewise, if one could indeed "do everything" like back in the day, one could say that that would be quite boring, as well. Imagine being able to tear through any monster that comes along, or standing in a pk arena all day waiting for the other (be it giant paladin/caveman or naga monk) to drain their near unlimited MP by using Heal, which costs a whopping 10 mp to cast.

All in all, these restrictions have be implemented to "balance" the game as they call it. They have leveled the playing field, so to speak, for other race/guild combinations to be viable, granted they also destroyed some but I suppose those combinations were never meant to be...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 AM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Rhialto set the rules , long ago and far away.
Just how long ago was that? I think Rhialto needs to take a look at what the game has become. He probably set those rules many many years ago, back when most of those rules had not been reinforced yet and has not yet witnessed the outcome.

Of course, I could be completely wrong in the fact that R could be secretly watching and approving each change to the game. Though, if he actually isn't watching, then I doubt anyone has the power to make him re-examine his game.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

I have a theory that Rhialto has monitors watching all of us. So top secret even Teshuvah doesn't know. :O
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steovanni View Post
Just how long ago was that? I think Rhialto needs to take a look at what the game has become. He probably set those rules many many years ago, back when most of those rules had not been reinforced yet and has not yet witnessed the outcome.

Of course, I could be completely wrong in the fact that R could be secretly watching and approving each change to the game. Though, if he actually isn't watching, then I doubt anyone has the power to make him re-examine his game.
You are completely wrong, any change to the game is monitored by Rhialto.
And from day 1 he was the number one enforcer of rules such as QI and language in shouts. So I dont know what rules you think were not enforced before that are now.
Things like min/max in auction and removal of the give command were his idea and he implemented them.
So there arent any rules being enforced that were not always enforced.

There are some like only having 5 characters and 1 email that are not currently enforced, but there are no plans to enforce that type of thing, until Rhialto decides to do so.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
There are some like only having 5 characters and 1 email that are not currently enforced, but there are no plans to enforce that type of thing, until Rhialto decides to do so.
I hope that doesn't become enforced, but I know if R ever becomes actively involved with Wyvern again it will happen. It will be tough to pick 5 names to put onto 1 email for some people lol.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I hope that doesn't become enforced, but I know if R ever becomes actively involved with Wyvern again it will happen. It will be tough to pick 5 names to put onto 1 email for some people lol.
I dont even want to think about the messes that would cause lol
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
You are completely wrong, any change to the game is monitored by Rhialto.
And from day 1 he was the number one enforcer of rules such as QI and language in shouts. So I dont know what rules you think were not enforced before that are now.
Things like min/max in auction and removal of the give command were his idea and he implemented them.
So there arent any rules being enforced that were not always enforced.

When I spoke of rules, I was referring to the rules that R set for how his game would be shaped (e.g. balanccing the game and stuff).

Okay, I am completely wrong but I still wonder how his decisions will benefit the game player-wise. Sure it would make the game "better" but also complicate things at the same time.

For the time being, I am questioning his approval on changes but if it leads to success in the future, then more power to him.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steovanni View Post
When I spoke of rules, I was referring to the rules that R set for how his game would be shaped (e.g. balanccing the game and stuff).

Okay, I am completely wrong but I still wonder how his decisions will benefit the game player-wise. Sure it would make the game "better" but also complicate things at the same time.

For the time being, I am questioning his approval on changes but if it leads to success in the future, then more power to him.
Have you read his balancing page at all? You should.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 AM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Arguing with wizards is pointless steo. You can't win, even if your logic makes sense, theirs makes more sense.

This message has been brought to you by Salkand -Losing to wizards since 2004.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 AM

chessman has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
Arguing with wizards is pointless steo. You can't win, even if your logic makes sense, theirs makes more sense.

This message has been brought to you by Salkand -Losing to wizards since 2004.
Funny how speaking from a place of "authority" will do that.

Balance went out the window with Glacier Point Zoo. It hasn't come back, and it won't. Game's been permabroke since Janica, and no amount of endless "pretty" maps or minor cosmetic code changes will fix it. Rhialto's moved on, Legolas is inactive, Klikli and Stonewing might as well never have existed, Ender evaporated, Janica jumped ship, Knop's knot coming back, Thrain was thrown out (not really. He left of his own accord too. I just needed alliteration) and the aesthetic of the game is controlled by momma Tesh and her brood. If that's your thing, great! You'll always have a game, because they'll be here and keep tending the four active players forever. You'll never have to deal with beginning players who don't understand the game, because the un-navigable sprawl that is New Verden and the prettified maps make it impossible to get into. Rhialto was making a game for college kids, and that went real well, up until there were wizards.

/rant
Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 AM

dmc has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That was unnecessarily rude, and I think Rhialto was the one who intended it to be a "family game" in the first place.

This is pretty much the sum of my complaints- I'm all for balancing, but not when it makes the game less fun for most players.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Balance went out the window with Glacier Point Zoo. It hasn't come back, and it won't. Game's been permabroke since Janica, and no amount of endless "pretty" maps or minor cosmetic code changes will fix it. Rhialto's moved on, Legolas is inactive, Klikli and Stonewing might as well never have existed, Ender evaporated, Janica jumped ship, Knop's knot coming back, Thrain was thrown out (not really. He left of his own accord too.
Yes, congratulations, you've pointed out that wizards come and go. The game has been up for going on 9 years and people volunteer their time for however long they want. Ender went off to college, Janica went off to start a career, etc. The only one you're quite wrong about is Rhialto. If he had moved on, he wouldn't be paying those monthly server fees. The reason he does so is because he still very much cares about the game and has aspirations of working on it again like he used. Whether or not that happens, remains to be seen, but he's been involved in the current progression - He receives lengthy emails, listing the game changes, which he then does the cvs work for. Sometimes he will make comments and if he had a problem with one of them he would let us know. Meanwhile, major changes, that we think he will have a problem with, are run through him. For example, since it was his idea to not add a timer to healing, when it came time to fix all that, he had to approve it.

Quote:
I just needed alliteration) and the aesthetic of the game is controlled by momma Tesh and her brood.

Quote:
You'll never have to deal with beginning players who don't understand the game, because the un-navigable sprawl that is New Verden and the prettified maps make it impossible to get into.
As mentioned some 50 odd times, working on making the game easier on new players is very much on our list and something we are quite concerned with. So much so that we consulted players about it on these forums. However, once again, you don't have your facts straight - The whole starting area, as it stands, remains mostly as they were when Legolas was actively involved in crafting them...

-Legolas (and Rhialto) had Binyamin redo New Verden way back when. Since then it's only received a mostly visual update.
-Amita was made into a multi-map area in 2003, to the approval of, that's right, Legolas and Rhialto. Since then I've updated it a bit to make it easier to navigate and added more training areas.
-The Tutorial Tower was made entirely by Legolas.
-Davos has remain unchanged since forever, minus some added maps by Teshuvah that make it a place worth going to.

So they've developed very little since the time when new players would flood to the game as we had very little access to make a lot of changes that would make it easier.

Quote:
Rhialto was making a game for college kids, and that went real well, up until there were wizards.
No. Text-based MUDs are mostly played by college kids and Rhialto once commented on this in relation to seeing just how young many of the game's players were. However, it was quite obvious to anyone with a brain that by making a free, graphical game, that is easy to access, it was inevitable that younger players would be attracted to it - His plan (post the making a game for himself phase) was to develop a game which could attract a sizable community and so he was very much involved in making sure Wyvern reached a wider audience that its niche roots might have allowed. Wyvern cannot compete with the depth that attracts text-based gamers and it cannot compete with the shiny worlds of big time MMORPGs. So it needed to get creative if it was to develop as much as Rhialto was pushing it back in 2003. Despite your plentiful delusions, that was all Rhialto.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM

chessman has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Yes, congratulations, you've pointed out that wizards come and go.
Correction: I have pointed out that *some* wizards come and go. Others do not. They just stay. Forever.

As for the server fees, something tells me that R isn't hurting financially. Just a guess.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Correction: I have pointed out that *some* wizards come and go. Others do not. They just stay. Forever.

As for the server fees, something tells me that R isn't hurting financially. Just a guess.
Its a good thing a few of us actually did stay around or you wouldnt have a Wyvern to even complain about at this point. And if you think Im exagerating I assure you I am not.
The game never would have come out of hiatus.
And for a very , very long time, (years) there was only Arilou and I fixing things that we could and adding new content. Ask around, a few Wizards who came after that time can tell you the amt of work that was done without an active arch wizard at the time.
But hey, we apparently wasted our time because you have nothing to do but complain about years worth of work to keep the game up for you and do as Rhialto wanted done with his game.
There were no changes made to rules, period.

Let me guess, I cause lag too right? (yes someone actually claimed that)
This nonsense gets really old. Have you even played the game in the past 5 years for longer than 10 minutes? Or are you just another troll too?
Because you didnt mention any of the wizards who have worked hard in the past 5-6 years to give players something to play. Valkon, Arisu, Contrare, Cinaeth and others I am sure I am forgetting.
The wizards that left years ago, most I never even knew, did so for their own reasons and most for life changes which happens with young people in college etc is what I always assumed, which Arilou already explained.

Honestly if you dont like the game, go find something else to play.

It is not going back to the abuses, unbalances etc that you all enjoyed for so many years, they never should have existed. Doesn't matter how much you complain.

The things that were done were done because of Rhialtos balance vision and were all checked by him. Go read it, the game is still too easy according to his idea of balance. And weve not done many of them because they are too hard on players and are things he will have to do himself if he wants them done.

Rhialtos financial status, good or bad, has nothing to do with the fact that he pays the bills and is still active in decision making.

*Shakes head* This nonsense always comes from players that got banished and not the good players. Why did I bother to waste my time to explain?
Because they deserve the answers, not you.

Let me repeat, Go find a game you like.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Just for your information, lots of misinformation on how Teshuvah and Arilou are are from banned people. Sure there are disagreements between wizards, but if you can't handle that, you should never have been a wizard.

From my experience I have only learned from them and every criticism they gave me only made me a better wizard.

And players that give comments are the ones that clash about the same offenses time after time again. Don't believe you can fool us by using "new" tricks to cheat. Most of it has been done and we have tools to trace them.

Last edited by Valkon : 01-06-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Wizardess

Sadly this is once again degrading into things that dont matter, instead of a good discussion with good players that want to benefit the game. So I will lock it here.
We get that you want to be able to swear anytime you want.
We get that you want to share QI with each other.
We get that you want to give things to your friends and alts.

No need to repeat them.