Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Valkon's Avatar
Valkon Valkon is offline
Wizard
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

A) The healing spell is and was overpowered, players were and are virtually immortal. Reaching level 25 should be an accomplishment, not something you do on a daily basis.

B) Current active wizards have no access to the prices of most items, so price levels are currently not in line with supply and demand.

C) Giving away items makes it too easy for old players to level at low levels. As stated in A. It should be a challenge to level.

D) Not all players are located in the US. There are many European players and 7 and 8 year olds that play. 1am for you may be 9 am for them.

There aren't many players around as games like this aren't very popular. Because:

1) It isn't 3D with flashy graphics
2) Gameplay is a bit more complex than just mousing around
3) There are many bugs that make gameplay somewhat cumbersome. Specially for new players who are unaware of some of them.

We don't expect 2-300 players (if the server could even handle it)
  #82  
Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Bitsey Bitsey is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: hut west of BR
Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

I like the game the way it is.

I won't play most other, similar, online games because the general tone and player abuse level make it unfriendly. And no, I'm not 14....but I still care.

I like that you can't transfer stuff between alts. It makes starting over actually BE starting over. You still know what to go do - any player who's taken a character to lvl 20 can get to lvl 15 w/ appropriate stuff in a day.

I like that there's a min/max price, and that you can't give stuff away. It generates an economy and makes $$s valuable at all points in the game. My only suggestion would be that the store price for modest +agi stuff is too high and for high (+9, +10) stuff it's too low...it should rise super-linearly. But that's minor.

Finally, I like that you can't give out QI. If I could have just asked someone how to solve Pirate Island I'm sure that in a moment of weakness and frustration I would have. But no one would tell me anyway so I still haven't figured it out. But you know...some day I will and I will rip off my shirt and run around the room like Brandy Chastain! And it will be great.

I stuck around BECAUSE the game is the way it is.

-bitsey
  #83  
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Arilou's Avatar
Arilou Arilou is offline
Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Arilou has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskee View Post
In my opinion...
a) Fix the healing spell so players are satisfied with it
I've discussed this countless times. We had a plan to fix spam healing in a way that was balanced and wasn't all about nerfing you guys but rather, taking things from one area and giving back in another. The game was never intended to be played in a way where everyone had healing and everyone was jamming their healing alias while sitting next to monsters until they died. However, at the same point, it was never intended to be played without ac on armor working and we recognize that players were using healing to get by in light of that bug. So the idea was to fix all these things around the same time, but not to do it one big bang so that we could gauge the effect and properly make follow-up tweaks.

However, Rhialto only got to the first stage and when it got time to continue with the other things we discussed, he became preoccupied with other matters and hasn't gotten back to it. There's nothing we can do about that. We've prompted him about it several times since, but he remains busy. When that changes, continuing with properly balancing spam healing is near the top of the list we will give him.

What you have to realize is that this ties in to previous statements I've made about the only problem the game having right now is that Rhialto is not actively working on it and that when that changes, things will begin to return to normal. This is not an example of us being wrong, it's an example of something that Rhialto didn't finish and something that only he can do. We have an inactive lead developer - Complaining that anything else is the cause of the current problems the game faces is absurd and uninformed.

Quote:
c) Let people give away whatever they want, or pick up anything from the ground. I believe the reason this was put in was to stop transferring alts? Look, people still get around that, just have a friend log in, buy your item off you and then have your friend sell the item to your alt. Why in the world cant we transfer items between alts, most mmorpgs try and make it easier with some sort of storage system that can hold your entire account's (or IP address) items.
Doing that is against the rules and therefore something that will result in administrative actions against the individuals trying to do it. Since the system is more restrictive it is easier to police and as such we catch people doing it all the time... both when it happens and anytime after since there's a tag on items that displays the name of the original owner - Without getting into too many details, we can easily catch someone who has items that belonged to their alts in their inv. So if we don't catch the actual trade going on, we can still catch you a week from then, a month, etc. If you have items in your inv that belonged to your alt right now, for example, and you've been getting away with it, at any time we may decide to randomly or purposely check your inv and that will be that. As a result, the system has been rather effective, despite what you may think.

As to your other point, the game makes it easier for you by allowing you to keep so many more items by storing them in bags that you can carry anywhere with you. Your weight determines the limit, so your choice of character makes things a little more interesting but, aside from that, it's not all that different from storage systems in other games. In fact, I think it's better for the players.

Other games tend to have a limit on the amount of items you can store (only it's a fixed number) and they tend to make you go to certain locations to recover your items. But with Wyvern, you can pull your items out of "storage" whenever and wherever you want, with no restrictions on how many you can get from your current location. To want a bank vault type of situation on top of this is greedy, unnecessary, and takes away a bit of the uniqueness from Wyvern's gameplay experience.

Quote:
d) The chat rules. You log on and play the game...and whose talking...NOBODY! I understand people cant be cursing and saying obscene things left and right, but seriously loosen up. I got booted for saying something on a Wednesday at 1 in the morning, honestly i don't think many little kids are playing right about then.
The chat rules have nothing to do with how active the chat is and this is beyond silly to bring up. You're making an argument for why the game has so few players and then using something that is totally and completely a result of having so few players as a topic in your argument. When there were more players, the chat was much more active, when there became less, the chat died down...Obviously.

Also, the chat rules have very little to do with children. This is yet another point I've previously addressed - It's all about providing a nice and friendly playing environment for people who want that sort of thing. Lots of other games let their players say and do what they want to varying degrees, while we cater to the type of gamer who gets stressed out or annoyed by that type environment.

We do, however, provide private chats which we do not monitor and instead leave it up to individual players to censor by deciding if the person they are talking to is someone they want to talk to privately or not. We may expand on this in the future, (e.g. by making private channels that you have to sign up for) but the main chat is only going to get more restrictive as the playerbase grows (in large part because a global chat in a game with a massive playerbase can't exist without certain restrictions).

Quote:
and one more time what is the point creating a game that nobody wants to play, that nobody will play, regardless of how "perfect" you think it is?
You may not want to, but Wyvern does have a target audience which I think do/will enjoy what we're trying to do. In fact, when we have our lead developer actively working on the game, we've seen how successful the game can be. All our current problems mostly focus around bugs which only Rhialto can fix from ac not working to spells freezing/server crashes when there are too many players on.

We've been here before - Whenever the playerbase dips, there are players to try to exploit it by blaming whatever addition to the game they, personally, do not like. While it's true that players do leave over updates they are not pleased with, if done properly, most tend to come back once they get over their initial anger, while new players quickly take the place of those few who do not come back (such is the world of beta testing - many drastic changes need to be made, but there are players who don't like change and don't get that they are allowed to play to help us test things). Spam healing is an example of something that wasn't as effective because the follow-up changes weren't made and as a result, the game has remained in a state where the gameplay is more difficult than we want it to be for certain players.

But the main reason for playerbase declines has to do with server performance. We've watched the game grow in 2003 when Rhialto was actively working on the server (so it could handle more players at once) and we watched it begin to drop when he stopped and unresolved issues begun to build up.

Eventually, the game went offline and came back again with a lot of people trying to play it despite the constant crashes. We had to put a player cap in just to make it semi-playable for those who could get on, while those who couldn't left. Meanwhile, problems continued, more players begun to leave since those problems weren't being resolved, and eventually things stabilized at a high of 30 or so players online at once, which is consistent with our observations of the server lagging at around 40+ players online and it getting drastically worse after that.
  #84  
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 PM
drewskee drewskee is offline
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
drewskee has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

You know, i was going to post a really long extensive reply but i've decided its not worth my time. This game is obviously going in a direction that I (along with most of the players) just cant handle anymore. Peace out
  #85  
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Warcow's Avatar
Warcow Warcow is offline
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Computer Mouse

Being neither a player nor a wizard, I am hardly qualified to judge anyone by those standards.

But it seems to me what the players are trying to say is, “Thanks for your help, but may I speak with your supervisor please? We are tired of being treated by people trained and bound by protocol and machines. We want to talk to real people, and be treated as such.”
__________________
Patriarch :'(
  #86  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Teshuvah's Avatar
Teshuvah Teshuvah is offline
Wizardess
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcow View Post
Being neither a player nor a wizard, I am hardly qualified to judge anyone by those standards.

But it seems to me what the players are trying to say is, “Thanks for your help, but may I speak with your supervisor please? We are tired of being treated by people trained and bound by protocol and machines. We want to talk to real people, and be treated as such.”
We'd like to talk to our supervisor too

(besides the fact that the original person who complained was banished for vulgar language in shouts repeatedly and has no intention of ever following any rules anyway I will attempt to reply to this once again )

If you can find him (Rhialto) and get him to do the things you are complaining about/and we have brought to his attention more times than I can count ,( if you read arilou's message he was supposed to do these things months ago (maybe a year now since the healing nerf) and didn't finish/do them.), that would be great.

So all we can do is keep explaining to you over and over why its not doing what you want and that he hasnt finished/started/done it yet.
We have no other answer for you. We can only tell you what we were told.
If you can get another answer out of him, go for it. But even better get him to do what the answer was. That's even better.

The answer doesnt change just because you don't like it *Shrug*

We have operated with no arch wizards for years, they periodically pop in and fix or half fix something and disappear for months on end again. Leaving us there to try to answer your questions as best we can. And we do, over and over and over. Repeating what he had told us.
We have done our best, to keep things moving, keep new content and keep things as stable as we can for you. Why? Because we are obviously nuts to put up with stuff

That's all there is to it.
  #87  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 AM
dmc dmc is offline
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
dmc has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

why doesnt rhialto just give full control of the game to the active wizards? theyre more competent anyway
  #88  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Arilou's Avatar
Arilou Arilou is offline
Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Arilou has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
why doesnt rhialto just give full control of the game to the active wizards? theyre more competent anyway
There are a couple of things wrong with that post, but I'll just address the main issue - It's Rhialto's game. He's worked very hard on it and he has put a lot of money into keeping it running. The reason he has continued to do so is because he has every intention to do something with the game. Meaning, he plans to get back to working on it at some point. If he didn't, he would stop paying to host the server and either find someone who is willing to take over the costs of running the game on their own server or (more likely) he would simply open source the game and let the community take over. However, doing either of those things (or what you described, which isn't going to happen) means giving up on Wyvern and that is something he is currently unwilling to do.
  #89  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 AM
dmc dmc is offline
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
dmc has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

well thats good to hear... i had thought that he had given up completely on the development of the game. its good to hear that he'll be back
  #90  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Warcow's Avatar
Warcow Warcow is offline
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Computer Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
We'd like to talk to our supervisor too

(besides the fact that the original person who complained was banished for vulgar language in shouts repeatedly and has no intention of ever following any rules anyway I will attempt to reply to this once again )

If you can find him (Rhialto) and get him to do the things you are complaining about/and we have brought to his attention more times than I can count ,( if you read arilou's message he was supposed to do these things months ago (maybe a year now since the healing nerf) and didn't finish/do them.), that would be great.

So all we can do is keep explaining to you over and over why its not doing what you want and that he hasnt finished/started/done it yet.
We have no other answer for you. We can only tell you what we were told.
Let me just say thanks for taking the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
If you can get another answer out of him, go for it. But even better get him to do what the answer was. That's even better.

The answer doesnt change just because you don't like it *Shrug*
I'm not sure I grasp what you meant at this part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
We have operated with no arch wizards for years, they periodically pop in and fix or half fix something and disappear for months on end again. Leaving us there to try to answer your questions as best we can. And we do, over and over and over. Repeating what he had told us.
We have done our best, to keep things moving, keep new content and keep things as stable as we can for you. Why? Because we are obviously nuts to put up with stuff

That's all there is to it.

Nobody questions the wizards’ integrity or dedication, but somehow, somewhere along the line, you’ve let your powers and responsibilities separate you from the very people you’re trying to serve and protect. Having never seen the other side of the game client myself, I can only guess how much work you guys put into the game, and how R’s unavailability to you guys parallels the players’ and frustration with wizards. A bit sad, no?

I really enjoyed it when you started talking to me just before the Summer Feast event, discussing random things and asking me about the game and players. I felt heard, and I felt my opinions mattered. Even right now, I feel very much the same way.

On the other hand, on an open forum like this, where the eye of public opinion judges everything that passes, the person who talks the loudest and fastest tends to ‘win’ all arguments. I sincerely hope I am not speaking loud nonsense, and I'll try to make a prompt reply if you (or anyone else) wish to take this discussion to PM's
__________________
Patriarch :'(
  #91  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Teshuvah's Avatar
Teshuvah Teshuvah is offline
Wizardess
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

These were my points in brief,
Most of the players complaints expressed, we "everyday" wizards can do absolutely nothing about. Has nothing to do with us not listening. Most of us play too, and know your complaints better than you do.

And as you found out, and mentioned, we certainly do speak to and listen to trustworthy, honestly players until they are no longer trustworthy.
Just because you arent "in" on the conversations does not mean we are not talking to and taking input from players on everything we do have access to improve. I (and other wizards) talk to players all the time, take their input, have them test items and maps etc. These are the things "we" have control over.

Trouble makers, loud players as you called them, don't get our attention in the way they want or in a way that would get anything.

This particularly player that started this thread, brought up issues we'd answered 100 times in the past. And he didnt want answers, he wanted things "his way". There are a few of those. "I want to do anything I want" is not a valid game plan These are the same complaints we've heard over and over every time an older player comes back who has not adjusted to the changes that Rhialto made to healing.

And again, everything he listed, we have absolutely no control over. And we've explained why Rhialto made the decisions he did.

So anything further, just re-read Arilous posts There really isnt more to say on my part.
  #92  
Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Salkand's Avatar
Salkand Salkand is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The dark marshes of the southern swamps
Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshuvah
This particularly player that started this thread, brought up issues we'd answered 100 times in the past. And he didnt want answers, he wanted things "his way".
All I asked for were theories on why the player database was dropping, I even said that there were more than likely various possibilities, and too broad of a subject to successfully narrow it down to any one area of game play. I never gave any particular reason or fact (as I didn't have any factual information) about the situation.

Now I admit and apologize that I have been as selfish in the past as to base ideas off of what I wanted, but near the end all my ideas, regardless of how bad of an idea it was was focused on what I thought would help game play and player experience, including several ideas that would be harmful or useless to myself. And I admit that when platinum came out I was disappointed due to personal issues, but I was not wrong that they were not balanced, I was just too stupid to express this in a respectful and well thought out post, which came from another player at a later date resulting in the price increase of which I believe there have been several.

But still, regardless of that, I have never wanted to change Wyvern into the way I wanted things, at the time of each post I really thought that the idea might help improve the game, and that was all it really was, an idea. A lot of the people who read those ideas took them much too seriously, and acted against them as if I had some magical power to make those ideas happen unless someone stopped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcow
Nobody questions the wizards’ integrity or dedication, but somehow, somewhere along the line, you’ve let your powers and responsibilities separate you from the very people you’re trying to serve and protect.
Now this I do not agree with, I always liked to think that maybe, just maybe one of my friends was also a wizard (unlike most people though, I would not want to know if this were true or not, and I was always doubted that it was). But I knew that the wizards played alts, and I used this to assume that they understand a lot of player frustrations, even if they might not be able to understand all of them.

Anyway, the original purpose of this thread was to give theories on why our player-base was dropping, and possible fixes to obtain us more members, but when I made this I myself didn't understand the lack of Rhialto problem. So this thread really doesn't have much use anymore other than an area for players to rant about what they perceive as unfair.
__________________
“You put the Devil on the other side, and I will come to fight.” - Royce Gracie
  #93  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Teshuvah's Avatar
Teshuvah Teshuvah is offline
Wizardess
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Oh gosh forgive me salky, I didn't mean "started this thread", I meant, "started this rant in this thread".... "you" were not whom I was speaking of. Whilest you annoy some people to tears, I am not one of them lol
The person who started the complaining in your thread was the person who got in trouble in the game and just wanted things his way etc.
You've never even remotely broke the rules. I'm sorry that I was not more careful with my words. I meant the drewskee person who started the rant.
Your intentions, while enough to make a person insane sometimes with ideas, were never ever questioned.
Again, Im sorry.

Tesh
  #94  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Narhalles Narhalles is offline
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

I just want to touch on a few points here.

Healing Then vs. Now

back in the good old days of 05-06 If you wanted to be competitive, kill monsters, pk, etc. you used minor healing with a couple of levels in Life magic and som inc. with a little med or just chugged med pots. I made a storm giant just to prove that this was unbalanced and over powered. How did I prove this? I did something no one though possiable. I meeled first 1 Monopod at level 10 then did so repeatedly with other players viewing me. No one thought it was possiable, yet I did it. Should a level 10 be able to melee a mono? NO! thus it was overpowered. Now I use max healing skill max meditation and chug potions of mana shield. Do I die? rarely. can I kill really supper tough monsters? not until I hit at least level 18. Overpowered? yes, but not as much. I think once AC works that healing + med + mana shield should be rebalanced, but for now, it is fine.

Language filters

I personaly started playing in 05. I was a teen and enjoyed the fact that there was a filter to stop people from swearing. I am an adult now and am in the Armed Forces now and I STILL ENJOY THE FACT THAT THERE IS A LANGUAGE FILTER! some of us have different moral standards then others, and I personaly would have no problem with MY kids playing this game, while I would NOT let them play most of the other ones in this genre until they were 18+ why? because of my personal beliefs.

Real life and why people no longer play

Most of the people that play now are younger. They don't work/have a family to support and have free time. I still have time to play now, but I am not sure I will have the time once I get married. However, a LOT of the high levels who got that way in years past have stopped playing for several reasons. This is just my opinion, but I have been around a while. A lot of them complain both here and in hte game anbout it being to "hard" or "difficult" to "make money" or "gain xp" EXCUSE ME, but, isn't it the developers perogative to make things as difficult or easy as they see fit? If you don't like it, adapt, ask for people for advice, move on. Whatever you do though, stop complaining, stop discouraging others from playing just because you are dissatisfied. If you don't like it move along. Please find a game that you like and play that instead.


sorry If I got a little heated there.

BTW. If anyone wants ingame advice/help PM Basik Ill be more than willing to give you as much help as I can.
__________________
My Alts on Wyvern

Narhalles - Rak Tiger - Cavies - level 22
Sihon - Stone Giant - Unguilded - level 21
LifeLine - Pixie Swords man - Unguilded - level 12
EgoMachine - Halfing Whipper - Unguilded - level 19
IC - Frost Giant - Unguilded - level 10
StaticS - Storm Giant - Unguilded - level 16
  #95  
Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Salkand's Avatar
Salkand Salkand is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The dark marshes of the southern swamps
Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshuvah
Whilest you annoy some people to tears . . .
That would be Arilou, no? ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhalles
. . . A lot of them complain both here and in hte game anbout it being to "hard" or "difficult" to "make money . . ."
I disagree with that (and I understand that you (Narhalles) have not yet expressed if that is or is not your view point on the subject, but simply a significant number of players opinions.)

Anyone who knew me will tell you that I spent 90% of my wyvern career broke. At any given time I would have 30k, and at most 100k on me, and that usually went towards reagents. But given a good reboot of RDing, I could muster up at least 500k, and I had 0 merchant and 0 strength. This means I could carry less and I received less for what I did manage to carry with me. If I managed to get a good DSM, or what I perceived as a good actionable item, I might then manage 600-700k for a reboots worth of RDing. Add the experience you will obtain while getting that, and you have a very easy time with money/experience.

Now you'll ask me, "then why didn't you?" Because I found RDing to be exceptionally boring, I couldn't stand 30 minutes in a random dungeon, let alone 6 hours. Usually by the time I got to level 50, it was reapers, xipes, and maybe a monopod. As long as I didn't lag going down the stairs next to a monopod, or hit a summon trap with no mana, I had nothing to fear.

Now, I would love to go off on how RDing can be improved (Which for anyone who thinks they can, does not belong in this thread), and a million ideas on this that and the purple tomatoes, but the truth is I have no idea how it can be improved. I am also confident that the wizards know what they want to see, that Rhialto when he returns knows what he wants to do, if anything. So I am content to say that if it does need fixing, someone more qualified than myself will figure it out, and if it doesn't, then all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcow
Nobody questions the wizards’ integrity or dedication, but somehow, somewhere along the line, you’ve let your powers and responsibilities separate you from the very people you’re trying to serve and protect.
I think that is also inaccurate, I feel that the only real separation between the players and the wizards is that the wizards have an actual understanding of the game (Not to say that a player can't) in terms or what is balanced, what needs fixing, etc. and a player generally only has a lose concept of these terms.

I.E. All mages will say that mages are unbalanced, need more guild benefits, etc. They don't. Most mages will say they are unbalanced in PK. They aren't.

If anything, the mages have almost no negatives, so why should they get bonuses? And I was one of the best PKers during my time, so was toe and Davidm, all mages. One might say, and I have used this in argument of mages benefits in the past; That you can not take 3 mages (None of whom still actively play) and use them to express the entire guild. I would like to make clear that I am simply using 3 mages as an example, you also have Dracco, Flubbi, Steovanni, etc. There are a lot of good PKing mages, I simply have not listed them all.

Well, that was just an example of how players are unable to fully understand balancing issues. Again, we could go off on a huge tangent about mages and benefits, but please remember that it would belong inside of its own thread, of which there are already many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narhalles
Healing Then vs. Now
It is only my personal opinion that healing is in a state not yet ready for players to discuss. The wizards have made clear many times (Of which Teshuvah has pointed out already) that healing was meant to be fixed in various ways, and that the current fix was simply phase one of that fix, and that Rhialto had to leave. Which brings us back to the lack of Rhialto problem. But you can't say what needs to be fixed without seeing the results of the other phases of this patch.

*sigh* I'm afraid that was a terribly long post, most of which I am sure is incorrect in some way. But keep in mind that what we thought we knew in the past, isn't know what we will know in the future.

~Salkand-The mage who was born mature, but quickly grew out of it.
__________________
“You put the Devil on the other side, and I will come to fight.” - Royce Gracie
  #96  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Xae Xae is offline
 

Join Date: May 2007
Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

To summarize peoples feelings towards the game in a nut shell, people enjoy being successful in a game. The limitations the wizards enact make the game a bit more difficult, therefore lowering the chances of a player being successful. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just an observation. Things used to be pretty lax in the game and I would say that was the time where the game was most active. As the limitations started coming in, less people played because it just got too hard for them.

I understand the vision the wizards have of the game and it improves the quality of the game. A lot of these limitations set Wyvern apart from the rest. Unfortunately, most people would prefer to simply be good with little effort, than put in the work to get a top position in the game.

Wyvern is a work of art. Complicated one. At first glance, it might look a bit intimidating because of it's complexity, but the longer you stick to it, the more you'll come to appreciate it for exactly what intimidated you in the first place. One thing I can say about Wyvern is that when you get into it, it's hard to get out. Since most of the other mmorpgs are almost exactly the same, after you get pretty into it, it's not that difficult to quit.
__________________
Achiever 86.67%, Explorer 60.00%, Killer 33.33%, Socializer 20.00%
  #97  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Godhand Godhand is offline
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Godhand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

I do not think that people stopped playing wyvern because it became more difficult. They stopped playing it cause wyvern is not as fun as it used to be. All the restrictions and limitations kill most of the fun out of the game. In the past people had much more freedom and could do much more stuff like pking in towns, summoning, casting spells in towns, creating traps, trading items, transfer, giving out items, maps give more loot. There was a much larger population so higher lvls can always pk for fun. lqs were more fun cause lots of people are there.

Now there is nothing for high lvls to do but rd, and sit in auction.
  #98  
Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Burba Burba is offline
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Burba has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

I don't play Wyvern because it's boring. The skill system is fun to think about, but making a character matching my plans isn't. Gaining levels, and more importantly money, seems to mainly require grinding. What else would it take? Levels are initially easy to raise, but then require more grinding and eventually a decent build to kill the tougher monsters and get a high level. Gaining a high level isn't itself a worthy goal. Instead, gaining a high level is fun because it allows for a more creative character setup, as well as progressing to more difficult areas. I consider the former to be a flaw in the skill point system. The usefulness of many skills doesn't increase linearly. A heal spammer, for example, would want so much lore, so much incantation, and possibly so much meditation. More or less wouldn't be as useful as those specific amounts. A character that can't raise its skills to those points won't be an effective heal spammer, while a character that has excess points will be able to bolster other skills. Particularly if high levels become more difficult to obtain or each level recieves equal emphasis, I would like to design a unique and creative (viable is also good) character for a low level.

The actual combat is also repetetive. I have played some, but not much, as a mage and an archer. I've mainly played as a melee character. Maneuvering is definitely a strategic part of combat. Dodging spells, choosing your opponenets, retreating, and positioning yourself so you can retreat are all useful and common maneuvers. They do, however, become instinctual and tedious after a while. Supportive spells or items come down to using them when you need them. For example, I played a character who used a fire resistance scroll whenever I saw db or a powerful fire monster. Using a scroll of fire resistance is simplistic and unexciting. It's not a difficult strategical decision to make in the midst of a battle. It's not even phase one of a clever attack combo for battling a specific type of creature. I do it so I can close in on the monster without getting torched and then bash it to death. Wyvern needs exciting combat features that add variety and complexity to combat.

Most of the quests that I have completed were tedious. I consider both arriving at the solution to part of a quest as well as physically solving it to be tedious. Amazingly, I don't even have much against puzzle games. I consider some of the adventure games that I've played to be both creative and entertaining. Quests in Wyvern, however, have never attracted me. Perhaps I haven't tried the good ones. No matter the quality of the quests, they do consist of solving a problem. The newfangled RPGs of the late 90s and beyond that emphasized more RP than dungeon crawling have spoiled me. I now expect not only sufficient quantities of characterization and lore, but also choices and the ability to portray my character as I see fit. Some quests add to the lore, which is nice, and quest NPCs are nearly the only NPCs with much to say, but there is nothing to relate the quest to my character. They are simply to complete a task for possibly a reward maybe.

Finally, exploring is dull. OK, I do like going through a new area for the first time. However, I quickly learn that there is nothing of interest, and never return. I go back to places with good monsters and loot, but that's only for the monsters and loot. Anyway, I think more lore and characterization would be nice. How about some NPCs with something to say? Wyvern would work perfectly with Ultima-style conversations. That's Ultima 6 and below, of course, though Wyvern could give you options at the end of the text if it wanted to, right?

But most of all, I don't play Wyvern because of LAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGAAAAGGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGL.

That's why I don't play. I have a lot of hope for Wyvern, even if the changes I prescribed aren't made. I know that there are people who work on Wyvern actively and who do have a vision that seems like something I might enjoy. Whether or not it reaches that point is to be seen, but I'd like to think that it will.

Here's my response to some things that have been brought up.

Difficulty:
Wyvern isn't too hard if you know a bit about the game. You can't tack on heal spamming to anything and make it serviceable anymore, but there are still builds that make the game easy. Considering that areas like AV give good loot and xp, you don't have to be able to roll through beholders to get to level 25. It just takes some grinding.

Trade:
I don't mind not being able to give stuff away. It makes the game both a grind for loot as well as xp, but besides that I think it's moot. Min is a pretty good deal for most worthwhile items anyway.

Chat Censoring:
I don't mind profanity, though I feel no need to speak vulgarly. I'm very glad that politics and controversial stuff is kept out of shouts as it always errupts into an argument as impassioned as it is senseless. I don't know why the really, really awesome RPG that is far superior to Wyvern in every way and everyone loves is censored, though. I think the wizards are trying to smother our gushing, overzealous, inner fangirl.

Evil Wizards:
No comment. jk, I've found that they're human beings for the most part. That isn't necessarily good, however, considering my misanthropic tendencies.
  #99  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Hamel's Avatar
Hamel Hamel is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Really, I think everyone (the player base) needs to quit whining. For it is surely scaring away new players. The game is fun, it always has been fun, it is not fun to read about people whining about little things in the game that they do not think is fun.

Clearly, R & Company already have plans for balancing Wyvern, we the players do not need to give them ours.

I found Wyvern very entertaining when I first played, I still find it fun. However, the reason I do not play very much (if at all) is simply this:

I played this game for four years, almost everyone I knew has stopped playing, and quite frankly, I became a little tired of it. I suspect many other players quit for similar reasons.
__________________
"You shouldn't go wandering around without your head if you don't want people to start suspecting something." - A sad, strange little man.
  #100  
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Ovrlndnsea Ovrlndnsea is offline
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Ovrlndnsea has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskee View Post
And read Ovrlndnsea's post...and respond to it.

peace out
One thing that can be said for you is your skills at ignoring players who have a good, unanswerable point.
__________________
--Vuntic, long retired from Wyvern. I love KoL and DF currently.
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Wyvern Forums
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Forum: Contact Us - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.